Drafting Women?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drafting Women?

Late in the war President Roosevelt opened a new front—and met surprisingly little resistance...

The post Drafting Women? appeared first on HistoryNet.

More...

Feed Source

The USA is not the world! Britain had conscription for women before the USA was in the war

In December 1941 Parliament passed a second National Service Act. It widened the scope of conscription still further by making all unmarried women and all childless widows between the ages of 20 and 30 liable to call-up.

Men were now required to do some form of National Service up to the age of 60, which included military service for those under 51. The main reason was that there were not enough men volunteering for police and civilian defence work, or women for the auxiliary units of the armed forces.
    This covered more than nurses.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

It's an American publication. Within that context, I fail to see why you're complaining. I don't read many British authors regarding military history, but I do read some Australian articles and books. I judge them within that context. It would be petty and arrogant for me to judge them as an American.

That being said, your information about the draft in England was interesting. Do you have a link so I can read more about it?

Comment

It was a comment not a complaint - after all it is a history publication and history should be accurate and impartial where possible
        http://www.parliament.uk/about/livin...nscriptionww2/
        http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/w...wwii_intro.htm
        http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british...t_war_01.shtml
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

So articles about Parliament should have equal amounts of space on the other systems of government? All of them? That would be cool, then we could complain about a lack of focus.
          Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
          Hyperwar, Whats New
          World War II Resources
          The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
            So articles about Parliament should have equal amounts of space on the other systems of government? All of them? That would be cool, then we could complain about a lack of focus.
            A bit of a non sequitur I wasn't commenting on lack of balance or focus
            My point was that the item in the OP gave the impression that this was an American innovation. A bit like some items I've seen elsewhere that make statements like "when the war started in 1941". You've no idea how irritating that can be over here.

Comment

It did start in 1941, and 1939, and 1937.
              Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
              Hyperwar, Whats New
              World War II Resources
              The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                A bit of a non sequitur I wasn't commenting on lack of balance or focus
                My point was that the item in the OP gave the impression that this was an American innovation. A bit like some items I've seen elsewhere that make statements like "when the war started in 1941". You've no idea how irritating that can be over here.
                I disagree. I saw an article that was very clearly about the Draft for women in the US during WWII. Had it been about conscription for all women over time, the wording would have been different and they might have introduced what other countries had done in different times. Given the magazine ownership, the title of the article, the picture for the article, the avatar of the poster, and the nationality they chose under their name, isn't it possible that it was just an American writing about American history?

I am sure that its irritating for you to read that the war started in 1941, but for the US it did start then. We may have been wrong to enter so late, but we weren't at war prior to 1941. I can certainly see the emotionality in that being an irritating statement for our Allies that were suffering long before we joined, but on a pragmatic and factual level I don't see any reason to be upset by it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X