Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Did the Military Salute Change?

When Did the Military Salute Change?

The post When Did the Military Salute Change? appeared first on HistoryNet.

More...

Feed Source

Another point is that the British (Australian,New Zealand etc) salute is only given and acknowledged where a head covering is worn.

Where one party salutes and the other is bare-headed then the proper response by the hatless party is to come properly to attention.

U.S. Servicemen/ women seem to salute uncovered regularly.(Except the U.S.Marines, I think).
    "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
    Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Today the salute is made with the right hand but there is photographic evidence that in WW1 in the British Army either hand could be used (but not both at the same time )

The reason for the RN adopting the palm down is possibly because until well after the end of the sailing navy other ranks rarely wore hats and ratings showed respect by touching the forelock
      Last edited by MarkV; 14 Apr 16, 05:15.
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
        Another point is that the British (Australian,New Zealand etc) salute is only given and acknowledged where a head covering is worn.

Where one party salutes and the other is bare-headed then the proper response by the hatless party is to come properly to attention.

U.S. Servicemen/ women seem to salute uncovered regularly.(Except the U.S.Marines, I think).
        cant say i recall a lot of uncovered salutes while in the US Army. exceptions being oddball indoor occasions such as having to formally report to an officer.

while in Germany we had a CW4 who hated being saluted. so of course we always made a point to step outdoors just so we could salute him. half the time he'd respond by punching us..
        45B10 1986-91

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
          in WW1 in the British Army either hand could be used (but not both at the same time )

too bad...the Double Rimmer has such a touch of class.
          45B10 1986-91

Comment

Found the rules for the British Army
            Up to 1918 either hand could be used but the convention was that it depended on which side the person you were saluting was passing you if on the left the left hand was used. In 1918 a General Order was issued stating that only the right hand was to be used unless this was incapacitated (eg in a sling) when the left should be used.

"the open hand ( with thumb close to the forefinger ) is carried sideways to the side of the face, so that the back of the finger tips touches the forehead; the fingernail of the forefinger resting about 1 inch above the eye" O.L. Perry, 1888

I wonder if the US change to the palm down was occasioned by a change on the uniform cap/hat/helmet that made the above style awkward to achieve without catching the top of the hand on the peak or brim.
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post

The US Navy does not salute uncovered. I think the Army does indoors for certain situations, but am not sure.

Comment

Kings Regulations & Admiralty Instructions - 1913

Chapter XIX - Discipline.

Section II

Discipline Generally

721. Salutes to Superiors, Army or Navy.-Every officer and man on meeting, passing, or addressing his superior officers, knowing them to be such, is to pay them the accustomed marks of respect, whether they are attached to the same ship or not, and whether afloat or on shore ; and officers and men of the Royal Navy are to pay the customary mark of respect to such officers of the army, when in uniform, as are entitled to be saluted by officers and men of corresponding rank in their own Service.

The key phrase was "when in uniform" if hatless you were not properly in uniform

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X