X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl Schwamberg
    replied
    Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    You would need good maintenance programs for the ships. Many older ships are in bad shape today because they were not maintained well. They used to take the old aircraft carriers offline for a two year SLEP. The sailors helped and got to see their wives and family. The Air Wing went ashore and practiced operating from land.

The last twenty or so years the Navy has passed on big maintenance rebuilds and just used the ships until they were falling apart. Look at how they let the OH Perry Class run until they were falling apart.

New ships are sexy, rebuilding older ships is not.

Pruitt
    Thank you Mr Rumsfeld for helping this trend along.

This leads to a second readiness issue beyond decommissioning. As the down time rises from maintenance issues training time decreases. The result is less capability than there should be given the equipment on hand. On paper the USN Gator Fleet should b enough float MEF of a division/air wing plus. That proobabllycould happen given 4-8 months to play catch up in repairs. Training is a different matter. For effective large sale training the Navy crews and Marines have to be at sea en mass. For the past decade I've seen multiple warnings and complaints from the active duty side, and the 'experts' and journalists about how the training has fallen off. A very recent article in the marine Times questioned the ability of the amphi forces (Navy/Marine) to conduct a effective MEF or even MEB size operation with less than six months preparation, including remedial training at the command/staff level. The ability of achieving the intense degree of staff work and tactical/operational coordination essential is questioned.

Leave a comment:

• Merkava188
    replied
    Is the Kearsage slated to assist in any recovery efforts if Nate makes landfall?

Leave a comment:

• OpanaPointer
    replied
    Anybody note the LHD arriving to provide hurricane relief?

Leave a comment:

• Merkava188
    replied
    The U.S. Navy needs some new frigates and destroyers. The LCS has been a huge flop.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    You would need good maintenance programs for the ships. Many older ships are in bad shape today because they were not maintained well. They used to take the old aircraft carriers offline for a two year SLEP. The sailors helped and got to see their wives and family. The Air Wing went ashore and practiced operating from land.

The last twenty or so years the Navy has passed on big maintenance rebuilds and just used the ships until they were falling apart. Look at how they let the OH Perry Class run until they were falling apart.

Pruitt
    And naming new ships after politicians is good for budget money to build ships.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• Merkava188
    replied
    It certainly would be a godsend on the Gulf coast. One the ships en route there is the U.S.S. Kearsarge wasn't she based in Japan not to long ago? I wonder if it would be possible to get large deck amphibs like the Wasp-class or the new America-class to be in service as long as 50 yrs like the Nimitz-class carriers?

Leave a comment:

• OpanaPointer
    replied
    The Nassau would be a godsend to Houston right now!

Pruitt
    Any LHD would be able to do the same job. When one of the Hawaiian islands lost its powerplant to a lava flow one of the LHA tied up to the pier and supplied power until a portable plant could be flown in. Four 750 KW turbo generators on board.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    The Nassau would be a godsend to Houston right now!

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• OpanaPointer
    replied
    Navy Asked to Donate Ex. USS Nassau to Support Humanitarian Relief Worldwide (As of 2013.)

When Peleliu was in Long Beach we had the largest mass casualty capacity in Los Angeles County, 2,000 beds.

Leave a comment:

• Merkava188
    replied
    Didn't the U.S.S.Nassau get it's name from the raid carried out on Nassau during the Revolutionary War?

Leave a comment:

• drivin-fool
    replied
    Originally posted by Merkava188 View Post
    Will the Navy name another warship U.S.S. Nassau maybe as part of the America- class amphibs.
    The current Nassau is still technically able to be recalled to service. Once the Navy decides she is no longer needed, they will strike her from the rolls, and she will either be scrapped or sunk. At that point there is a possibility that they could use that name again.

Leave a comment:

• Merkava188
    replied
    Will the Navy name another warship U.S.S. Nassau maybe as part of the America- class amphibs.
    Last edited by Merkava188; 25 Aug 17, 19:04.

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
    Go ahead, make me feel even older!
    Young punks... I retired from the mil before you even learned what a head was used for. FN Pamper kids Thanks to all of your for serving our STILL great country

Leave a comment:

• drivin-fool
    replied
    [QUOTE=Moulin;3353231]..thanks all replies/posts...Opana can answer those questions better than I
    ...I was in the FMF from 87-90 and on 4 ships--all of which have been decommissioned/sold/etc
    ..like I said, the Nassau seemed 'brand new'' to me in 1990
    looks like the Inchon launched 1969, Nassau 1978 both decommed after about 30 years, right?
    I was on the LST 1180 USS Manitowoc launched 1969-decom 1993, then

what does this mean?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Manitowoc_(LST-1180)
    ..a lot of old US LSTs were bought by other countries[/QUO

Did you make the 87 Med on Manitowac? I did the 87 and 89 Med and a 88 North Atlantic on Nassau.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X