Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

USS Nassau (LHA-4) Decommed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
    The Tripoli also doesn't have a well deck, the focus of the first two ships in this class is purely air...... The current LPD & LSDs have what is deemed 'sufficient' well deck capability...
    I was stationed on LHA-5. They had "highly sufficient" well deck capability. Dodging frigging jarhead tank jockeys was always fun.
    Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
    Hyperwar, Whats New
    World War II Resources
    The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
      I was stationed on LHA-5. They had "highly sufficient" well deck capability. Dodging frigging jarhead tank jockeys was always fun.
      I was referring to the USS Tripoli LHA-7 an America Class Amphib.

The Tawawa Class ships have some differences from the America Class.

You need to look at the other Amphibs in 1980 when your ship was commissioned.

In 1980:

LSD; Thomaston & Anchorage Class
      LPD; Austin Class
      LST; Newport Class

2017:

LSD; Whidbey Island & Harper Ferry Classes
      LPD; San Antonio Class

Currently they are saying that the LSDs & LPDs have sufficient well deck space to compensate for the America & Tripoli to not have a well deck. These two new LHAs have more hanger, fuel, ammo storage....

Comment

[QUOTE=Moulin;3353231]..thanks all replies/posts...Opana can answer those questions better than I
        ...I was in the FMF from 87-90 and on 4 ships--all of which have been decommissioned/sold/etc
        ..like I said, the Nassau seemed 'brand new'' to me in 1990
        looks like the Inchon launched 1969, Nassau 1978 both decommed after about 30 years, right?
        I was on the LST 1180 USS Manitowoc launched 1969-decom 1993, then

what does this mean?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Manitowoc_(LST-1180)
        ..a lot of old US LSTs were bought by other countries[/QUO

Did you make the 87 Med on Manitowac? I did the 87 and 89 Med and a 88 North Atlantic on Nassau.
        Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years...

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
          Go ahead, make me feel even older!
          Young punks... I retired from the mil before you even learned what a head was used for. FN Pamper kids Thanks to all of your for serving our STILL great country
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Will the Navy name another warship U.S.S. Nassau maybe as part of the America- class amphibs.
            Last edited by Merkava188; 25 Aug 17, 19:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Merkava188 View Post
              Will the Navy name another warship U.S.S. Nassau maybe as part of the America- class amphibs.
              The current Nassau is still technically able to be recalled to service. Once the Navy decides she is no longer needed, they will strike her from the rolls, and she will either be scrapped or sunk. At that point there is a possibility that they could use that name again.
              Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years...

Comment

Didn't the U.S.S.Nassau get it's name from the raid carried out on Nassau during the Revolutionary War?

Comment

Navy Asked to Donate Ex. USS Nassau to Support Humanitarian Relief Worldwide (As of 2013.)

When Peleliu was in Long Beach we had the largest mass casualty capacity in Los Angeles County, 2,000 beds.
                  Hyperwar, Whats New
                  World War II Resources

Comment

The Nassau would be a godsend to Houston right now!

Pruitt
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                      The Nassau would be a godsend to Houston right now!

Pruitt
                      Any LHD would be able to do the same job. When one of the Hawaiian islands lost its powerplant to a lava flow one of the LHA tied up to the pier and supplied power until a portable plant could be flown in. Four 750 KW turbo generators on board.
                      Hyperwar, Whats New
                      World War II Resources

Comment

It certainly would be a godsend on the Gulf coast. One the ships en route there is the U.S.S. Kearsarge wasn't she based in Japan not to long ago? I wonder if it would be possible to get large deck amphibs like the Wasp-class or the new America-class to be in service as long as 50 yrs like the Nimitz-class carriers?

Comment

You would need good maintenance programs for the ships. Many older ships are in bad shape today because they were not maintained well. They used to take the old aircraft carriers offline for a two year SLEP. The sailors helped and got to see their wives and family. The Air Wing went ashore and practiced operating from land.

The last twenty or so years the Navy has passed on big maintenance rebuilds and just used the ships until they were falling apart. Look at how they let the OH Perry Class run until they were falling apart.

New ships are sexy, rebuilding older ships is not.

Pruitt
                          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                            You would need good maintenance programs for the ships. Many older ships are in bad shape today because they were not maintained well. They used to take the old aircraft carriers offline for a two year SLEP. The sailors helped and got to see their wives and family. The Air Wing went ashore and practiced operating from land.

The last twenty or so years the Navy has passed on big maintenance rebuilds and just used the ships until they were falling apart. Look at how they let the OH Perry Class run until they were falling apart.

New ships are sexy, rebuilding older ships is not.

Pruitt
                            And naming new ships after politicians is good for budget money to build ships.
                            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

The U.S. Navy needs some new frigates and destroyers. The LCS has been a huge flop.

Comment

Anybody note the LHD arriving to provide hurricane relief?
                                Hyperwar, Whats New
                                World War II Resources

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X