Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

USS Nassau (LHA-4) Decommed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Nassau (LHA-4) Decommed

The USS Nassau, aka "The Big Nasty," aka "The Death Star," was recently decommissioned in Norfolk. I served aboard her from 1999-2003. The ship was great and I have some good and bad memories of my service. She was the only ship I served on during my stint in the Navy.

I wasn't able to make it down to the ceremony, but some of my former friends from those days did and had a good time.

http://www.wvec.com/news/local/USS-N...118942484.html.

Well talk about a small world. I too served aboard the Nassau V-3 div. 87-90. I was there for the decom ceremony and I was also fortunate enough to snap some pictures as she was towed out of Norfolk on her final journey to sea. If you are on facebook look her page up. There are tons of pix and some video from the decom.
    Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years...

Comment

It is a small world. My mom worked with a guy that had served on Nassau in the early 80s. I unfortunately couldn't make it down to the ceremony, but I did see the pics and videos. Very strange to see her without all the radar gear up on the 08 level.

Comment

It is good to see they will lay her up at Beaumont, TX. The US Navy needs to keep some de-commissioned ships in storage.

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pyle's Heroes View Post
          The USS Nassau, aka "The Big Nasty," aka "The Death Star," was recently decommissioned in Norfolk. I served aboard her from 1999-2003. The ship was great and I have some good and bad memories of my service. She was the only ship I served on during my stint in the Navy.

I wasn't able to make it down to the ceremony, but some of my former friends from those days did and had a good time.

http://www.wvec.com/news/local/USS-N...118942484.html.
          Go ahead, make me feel even older!
          Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
          Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

I was on Peleliu from '83-'85.
            Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
            Hyperwar, Whats New
            World War II Resources
            The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
              I was on Peleliu from '83-'85.
              I was on it for the WestPac in 85, April to September.
              This class seems to have been retired before it's time. Aside from the exploding toilets, were there any major defects?
              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                This class seems to have been retired before it's time. Aside from the exploding toilets, were there any major defects?
                Besides having been built by Lytton Industries?
                Hyperwar, Whats New
                World War II Resources

Comment

Besides having been built by Lytton Industries?
                  Remember the night they did some shore-bombardment practice?
                  I heard that it was cancelled in one hell of a hurry when they realized the rounds were falling on the wrong island.
                  Was in the Spring of 85, March maybe, any truth to that story?
                  "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

hard to believe..
                    I was on in 1990,[ seems like yesterday ] and it seemed brand new--compared to the USS Inchon-launched 1969
                    oohh --this is 2017--

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                      Remember the night they did some shore-bombardment practice?
                      I heard that it was cancelled in one hell of a hurry when they realized the rounds were falling on the wrong island.
                      Was in the Spring of 85, March maybe, any truth to that story?
                      Didn't happen while I was on board. I went to shore duty in '86. (Had to dig into my records to get the right dates.)
                      Hyperwar, Whats New
                      World War II Resources

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                        yes, what are the requirements for decommissioning? anyone know?

The cruisers were designed to last another 10 to 15 years, but citing the cost of upgrades for the cruisers and two amphibious ships, the Navy submitted a proposal in early 2012 to prematurely decommission nine ships -- seven cruisers and two dock landing ships.
                        http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...em-either.html

Comment

If the ship is to be mothballed they have to first make sure all the equipment will be ready to go if it is pulled back to active duty. Sort of like being "fit enough to die". The equipment that is sensitive to moisture has to be cocooned. Sensors have to be placed wherever a leak might happen, and so on. Imagine taking an office building and saying "we probably won't need this again, but make it ready for occupancy, with everything working, just in case we do."
                          Hyperwar, Whats New
                          World War II Resources

Comment

If the ship is to be mothballed they have to first make sure all the equipment will be ready to go if it is pulled back to active duty. Sort of like being "fit enough to die". The equipment that is sensitive to moisture has to be cocooned. Sensors have to be placed wherever a leak might happen, and so on. Imagine taking an office building and saying "we probably won't need this again, but make it ready for occupancy, with everything working, just in case we do."
                            so usually, the basic structure/hull/etc is good to go for many years more than the time they actually scrap them?

Comment

Originally posted by Moulin View Post
                              so usually, the basic structure/hull/etc is good to go for many years more than the time they actually scrap them?
                              Yeah, the plain metal is the most durable. Updating the fancy stuff is the usual issue for replacing a ship. The key to keeping a ship ... shipshape in mothballs is to prevent or reduce corrosion. Sacrificial anodes, like zinc, have to be maintained, water has to be kept out, and humidity controlled. The cocooning of interior equipment, like turogenerators and degaussing equipment, adds a layer to the protection.

We've come a long way since the 1930s, but even back then most of our WWI destroyers came out of mothballs and into use without too much trauma. Knowing what didn't work back then was probably more important than knowing what did.
                              Hyperwar, Whats New
                              World War II Resources

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X