X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
    Also from the link;
    As one might expect, Bell took a number of steps to distance himself from the very controversy he had spent so much time promoting. Brown, who had enjoyed frequent publicity on Bell’s program, was no longer welcome (to this day Brown refuses to reveal the mystery astronomer’s identity). Links previously advancing the UFO story — including audio files of the November shows containing the early Hale-Bopp “companion” discussions — disappeared from Bell’s Web pages. (Bell says that all of the audio files from those November shows were lost when a hard drive crashed.) Russel Sipe, an Internet expert who maintains a popular Internet site devoted to educating the public and combating the pseudoscience linked to the comet, also noted that when Alan Hale paid a visit to the radio program in early March, Bell “talked about the magnificence of the comet . . . and even seemed to suggest that there was no evidence for anomalous elements surrounding Hale-Bopp.”
    Despite the blatant reversal of position, Bell says he doesn't regret having publicized the Hale-Bopp UFO story. “You have to remember I had several sources,” Bell explains. “In addition to Shramek’s photo, I had a university professor at Emory who supplied us with photographic evidence of what he said was true.” Keep in mind this is the same professor who, for a mere $3,000, will teach students enrolled at his “Institute” to communicate with extraterrestrials. Nevertheless, Bell maintains that Brown and Shramek’s evidence constituted “sufficient material,” and he seems unconcerned that his sources eventually proved to be totally unreliable.
    What about the possibility that thirty-nine people ended their lives in part because of Bell’s promotion of false information? Bell doubts the cult members incorporated the “companion UFO” story into their mass suicide decision. He says that in the weeks following the Courtney Brown debacle, the “entire fraud was heavily exposed” and that the revelations all occurred two months before the Rancho Santa Fe suicides. And in a further attempt to paint himself as just another innocent reporter at the mercy of his sources, Bell asserted that “the media had it totally, utterly wrong” in their initial reports of the numbers and ages of suicide victims, as if to compare his show’s unsubstantiated and pretentious banter about a massive, comet-trailing alien craft to the act of gathering details during a breaking, tragic news story. Most important for Bell, though, is that the Heaven’s Gate members appeared to have been aware of the Hale-Bopp UFO debunking. The first line of their now infamous Web site reads:
    “Whether Hale-Bopp has a ‘companion' or not is irrelevant from our perspective.”
    However, the cult’s Internet link to the Art Bell homepage also indicates it’s likely they first heard about an approaching spaceship during Bell’s two-month-long UFO escapade.
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz

Comment

• Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
      Whatever ... he was a trend setter in radio of the last few decades and did provide a venue for unconventional persons and topics, along with opportunity and medium to engage critical thinking, i.e. most of what made it to C2C was more entertainment than informational.
      From the "source"
      Art Bell Open Lines/ Friday the 13th

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2018/04/13
      Like fostering sensationalism and obscuring the difference between real science and junk science. Although in his defence C2C appeared to stoop even lower when he left... I guess it paid the bills to go down that rabbit hole.
      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
      Ernest Hemingway.

"We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorised and flattened by trivialities."
      Bukowski

Comment

Like fostering sensationalism and obscuring the difference between real science and junk science. Although in his defence C2C appeared to stoop even lower when he left... I guess it paid the bills to go down that rabbit hole.
        I enjoyed listening to it sometimes, was entertaining though eye-rolling sometimes.

Comment

• R.I.P. Art Bell 1945--2018

EXCERPT~Quote from his legacy program and website;
          R.I.P. Art Bell 1945--2018
          April 14, 2018
          We are profoundly saddened with the news that the creator and original host of Coast to Coast AM, Art Bell, has passed away at the age of 72 at his home in Pahrump, Nevada.

While serving in the US Air Force in the Vietnam War, he indulged his childhood passion for radio by operating a pirate station that played anti-war music otherwise unavailable on official channels broadcast to American servicemen.

Following his time in the service, his love of radio led him to working as a disc jockey for an English-language station in Japan where he set a Guinness World Record for broadcasting an astounding 116 hours straight.

This was no mere radio stunt, however, as it served to raise funds to rescue over 100 Vietnamese orphans left stranded by the conflict in their home country.

Upon returning to the United States, he entered the world of talk radio with an overnight program on KDWN in Las Vegas.

After noticing that episodes covering conspiracy theories and paranormal topics generated considerable interest from listeners, Bell transformed the show from political talk to discussion of these often-verboten realms.
          Syndicated nationally in 1993, Coast to Coast AM soon became a juggernaut and bonafide radio phenomenon.

During the 1990s, when The X-Files had people wondering about the world of high strangeness, Art Bell was the voice of that world, introducing millions of radio listeners to a vast array of paranormal topics and the researchers that studied them.

Over the course of countless programs throughout the decade and into the 2000s, Art Bell captivated listeners by way of his intellectually-curious and open-minded conversations with guests who were attempting to find answers to the paranormal mysteries which baffle us all.

Although he retired from full-time hosting duties at the end of 2002, Art returned to occasionally helm Coast to Coast AM programs on weekends and later launched his own satellite radio program, Art Bell's Dark Matter, as well as an internet-based endeavor called Midnight in the Desert.

As founder of Coast to Coast AM, his role in crafting and shaping this program can be felt to this day...
          ~~~
          As he begins his journey on the 'Other Side,' we take solace in the hope that he is now finding out all of the answers to the mysteries he pursued for so many nights with all of us.
          https://www.coasttocoastam.com/artic...ell-1945-2018/

Comment

Art Bell was more an entertainer than a journalist, more on a scale with similar op-ed/politicals like Stewart, Fallon, Colbert, Kimmel, Hannity, Limbaugh etc. whom also display some bias and slant in their broadcasts and subject matter, etc.

Meanwhile you engage the classic Loonie-Left canard of blaming second/third parties for the choices made by individuals and absolving them of their own responsibility for those choices; "The Devil made me do it."

Comment

More a matter of supply and demand, finding a market and filling its desires.

Not much different from so-called scientists whom chase after funding aimed at "proving" ACC/AGW rather than have integrity to objectively study "climate" without a priori bias/slant.

Presentation of unconventional material doesn't always equate with an endorsement nor does it absolve the viewer/listener of engaging their own filters and educated assessment.

Comment

• What Did the Ancients See? Unidentified Flying Objects that Made an Impact on Early History
                The number of reported UFO sightings has hit an all time high in 2017. In the 112(*) years since the National UFO Reporting Center began keeping track, there have been 104,947 reported events (Monfort, 2017). The majority of sightings occur in the United States, though Canada, Australia, and the Nordic countries also have significant numbers of unidentified flying object sightings. Most of these incidents can be explained – airplanes, satellites, comets, fireworks (there is a spike in reported sightings in the US each year around the Fourth of July) – and many people write off UFO-spotters as fanatics.
                Unidentified Flying Objects Seen in Ancient Egypt

Yet, the phenomenon of unidentified flying objects stretches further back in history than the 1950s ‘flying saucer’ reports. In fact, the oldest recorded sighting of an unidentified flying object took place in 1440 BC. The incident was documented by the royal scribe of an Egyptian Pharaoh. Before the modern-era, UFOs were also recorded by ancient Greeks, Romans, Indians, Chinese, Japanese, Mexicans, and more. These sightings cannot be as readily explained as airplanes or fireworks.
                http://www.ancient-origins.net/unexp...history-021327

(*) - Slight typo or math error here, should be more like 32 years, not 112.

THE NATIONAL UFO REPORTING CENTER
                http://www.nuforc.org/

Comment

• Comment

• Being also for "paranormal" ...
                    Strange Cases of People Who Fought Off the Black Eyed Kids

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2018/0...ack-eyed-kids/

Comment

• You really are a sucker for this unsubstantiated stuff. All your years of interest and this is what we get, creepy pasta stories from click bait websites.
                      No offence but posting stuff like this is laughable.
                      Ernest Hemingway.

"We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorised and flattened by trivialities."
                      Bukowski

Comment

You really are a sucker for this unsubstantiated stuff. All your years of interest and this is what we get, creepy pasta stories from click bait websites.
                        No offence but posting stuff like this is laughable.
                        At the least it's entertaining and could be seen as a variation on MIB.

What's more laughable is how quickly you snatch at "the bait" and get your knickers in knot about this sort of subject.

Comment

• Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                          At the least it's entertaining and could be seen as a variation on MIB.

What's more laughable is how quickly you snatch at "the bait" and get your knickers in knot about this sort of subject.
                          No it’s just immature in how you post stuff here that’s blatantly silly, no substance and no evidence. Yet you embrace science and real data(your slant on it anyway) in another thread in this very same sub forum.

How does it feel living in denial, in still not finding any evidence of aliens, ghosts or other weird or magical stuff you post here.
                          Ernest Hemingway.

Bukowski

Comment

• Cosmic American: An Interview with Prof. Diana Walsh Pasulka

Robbie Graham April 24, 2018

excerpts:
                            RG: Your much-anticipated book, American Cosmic, is due for publication early next year. What can readers expect?
                            DWP: The book really surprised me, and shifted my own expectations, so perhaps they can expect to be surprised. In fact, in the last paragraph of the last chapter I write, “I never expected it to end this way.” So, that should give an indication that it has an unexpected ending, since even I was surprised by it.
                            That said, readers should know that the book is like two books in one. I interview scientists and people who claim to directly work with the phenomena. I travel with them to places like the Vatican and an alleged UFO crash site in New Mexico. I also introduce my own research about how media technologies permeate our minds and bodies in a way that is imperceptible. Our memories, our bodies, and thus our cultures, are influenced and formed through our use of technologies, and media technologies in particular. Humans co-evolve with technology, and it is not just an instrument we use. At the same time, UFOs permeate culture and are perceived as advanced technology.
                            The book is both a story of my travels and work with scientists who believe in the phenomena and create technologies inspired by it, and an analysis of why we decide to call this phenomena extraterrestrial, or ultraterrestrials, or, UFOs.
                            RG: How did a Religious Studies professor end up in the weird world of UFOs?
                            DWP: Scholars of religion study communities of people who believe in non-human intelligence, in the form of angels, deities, “forces,” bodhisattvas, etc. Many of the people who have experiences of UFOs interpret their own experiences as spiritual or religious. It seems that the methods of this field lend themselves to the study of UFO culture.
                            Additionally, I have written and published about Catholic history. My last book was a book about the Catholic doctrine of Purgatory. During the research of that book I came across a lot of records, from archives and chronicles, of flames, orbs, or comets, basically aerial phenomena, and I really wondered about these. I started a list of these records. At the time, a friend suggested that these were “UFO-like” and, coincidentally, I happened to read Jeffrey Kripal’s book, Authors of the Impossible, and I realized that these accounts did seem very similar. That is how I began to study modern experiencers.
                            RG: What are the parallels between classical religious experiences and modern UFO experiences?
                            DWP: There are similarities and many differences. Can we responsibly state that what the 16th Century nun St. Teresa of Avila experienced as a very odd, short, shining angel (depicted by the artist Bernini’s statue in Rome) is similar to what many experiencers feel they experience today, in the form of grey beings or shining beings? I don’t personally think we can make sweeping statements that they are equivalent, but we can carefully compare some historical cases with some modern cases and find interesting parallels.
                            For example, you can be sure that what people experience will get interpreted through various mediums like art, books, and in modern times, movies and documentaries, and that these often bear little resemblance to what the experiencer initially said or thought about the experience. Your own book, Robbie, Silver Screen Saucers, does an excellent job of revealing how Hollywood productions form and influence what we believe about the phenomena.
                            http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2018/0...walsh-pasulka/

Comment

No it’s just immature in how you post stuff here that’s blatantly silly, no substance and no evidence. Yet you embrace science and real data(your slant on it anyway) in another thread in this very same sub forum.
                              Again, as usual for you, you either can't or won't make the distinction between "evidence" and "proof". There has been lots of "evidence" presented in this thread and I'll admit that the "proof" of many o fthese topics is still waiting to be established. What's immature is to decline to objectively examine the evidence and approach the topics with a prejudice/bias of broad-brush denial.

As for other threads in this sub-forum, embracing "science and real data" encompassing quite a range. Some subjects are still a bit shy on sufficient data to make absolute scientific conclusions, remain in the "to be determined" status for now, others do appear to be more clear-cut and established.

As for part of reason for interest in the topics of this tread, see the post #418 above about the psychological and sociological connections between these "unknowns" of physical experience versus the unknowns of spiritual/religious experience. There may be a spectrum of continuum here.

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                              How does it feel living in denial, in still not finding any evidence of aliens, ghosts or other weird or magical stuff you post here.
                              Again that inability or deliberate obscuring of the difference between evidence and proof. If there was "proof" then these topics would be knowns and normal, rather than unidentified, para-normal, or still to be determined. The "denial" is on your part.

Comment

• Demonologists say that demons can't enter a home unless they're INVITED in, so maybe the black eyed kids are a variety of demons (remember Jesus said there's more than one kind in Mark 9:29) and want to get an invite into peoples homes and cars.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X