This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
    In all honesty, the "believers" should simply drop the usage of calling it a "UFO"... because they readily accept that such things contain aliens inside.
    I'm curious of your definition of "believers" ?

I've had an interest in this subject for over half a century, have read scores of books and other publications on it, and likely met a similar number of persons open minded enough to not reject outright and wholey the phenomena.

On one pole are the strongly religious whom claim it's all Satan and his demons, at another pole it's the "Great Space Brotherhood from (insert star or constellation of your choice)" here to save us from ourselves. Then there are many shades in-between. Then one looks at all the various "designs" and activities reported and the numerous reported occupants and it looks like there is no single explanation, no single source, no single species/race/ET world, ~ perhaps several to scores and likely some events/sightings might be trans-dimensional events/beings, not inter-planetary or inter-stellar.

This also includes what is often just plain mis-identification of something mundane or beyond the knowledge of the observer, say a normal aircraft or satellite, 'ball-lightening', unusual weather event, atmospheric glare, etc.

About the only monolithic aspect is those whom outright reject and deny the full range of oddity with some simple and knee-jerk cast-off, such as it's all imagination, or delusion, or swamp-gas.
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
    Present Current Events are the Future's History

Comment

• Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
      World UFO Day is being celebrated on July 2 to raise awareness about UFO (unidentified flying objects) sightings, and is used as a chance for believers to encourage governments to declassify any information about such sightings. If extraterrestrial beings have always intrigued you, click through to see which locations across the globe are believed to be UFO hot spots.
      Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
      I'm curious of your definition of "believers" ?
      You said it, not me.

Like you, I have had a big interest in UFOs... but I'm more inclined to seek out the more plausible scenarios and avoid the rhetoric that there are aliens. Just like ghosts, there is zero evidence of aliens...

I recently read about a UFO convention in Glasgow, it was full of infighting, backstabbing and accusations of lies.... all this over something that hasn't been proven!
      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
      Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
      Mark Twain.

Comment

You said it, not me.

Like you, I have had a big interest in UFOs... but I'm more inclined to seek out the more plausible scenarios and avoid the rhetoric that there are aliens. Just like ghosts, there is zero evidence of aliens...

I recently read about a UFO convention in Glasgow, it was full of infighting, backstabbing and accusations of lies.... all this over something that hasn't been proven!
        Actually it was the text from the article linked, but I get tagged with "saying" a lot of things I didn't.

Comment

Actually it was the text from the article linked, but I get tagged with "saying" a lot of things I didn't.
          Then use the quote button!

You believe in aliens, yes?
          Ernest Hemingway.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Then use the quote button!

You believe in aliens, yes?
            Guess I'll have to learn how to do that sometime.

Your question is too vague, "your" definition of "aliens" is .... ????
            Last edited by G David Bock; 05 Jul 16, 14:37.

Comment

• Meanwhile, for those interested;

Some of the Very Best Alien Conspiracy Theories

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/som...-world-ufo-day

Comment

Your question is too vague, "your" definition of "aliens" is .... ????
                No it wasn't but obviously you me need to help so I'll elaborate some more, extraterrestrial life, a sentient being.... not from this planet! At any stage in earth's existence do you think "aliens" has visited this planet?
                Last edited by Achtung Baby; 06 Jul 16, 03:40.
                Ernest Hemingway.

Mark Twain.

Comment

No it wasn't but obviously you me need to help so I'll elaborate some more, extraterrestrial life, a sentient being.... not from this planet! At any stage in earth's existence do you think "aliens" has visited this planet?
                  Perhaps in your mind and reading your screen it seems that way, but you still fail the precision language test here.

For example, "extraterrestrial life" is broad and generic enough to include simple life forms, lichen, microbes, "fishes" etc. such as might be found under the ice of Europa; EXCERPT:
                  Slightly smaller than the Moon, Europa is primarily made of silicate rock and has a water-ice crust[10] and probably an iron–nickel core. It has a tenuous atmosphere composed primarily of oxygen. Its surface is striated by cracks and streaks, whereas craters are relatively rare. It has the smoothest surface of any known solid object in the Solar System.[11] The apparent youth and smoothness of the surface have led to the hypothesis that a water ocean exists beneath it, which could conceivably serve as an abode for extraterrestrial life.[12] This hypothesis proposes that heat from tidal flexing causes the ocean to remain liquid and drives geological activity similar to plate tectonics.[13] On 8 September 2014, NASA reported finding evidence supporting earlier suggestions of plate tectonics in Europa's thick ice shell—the first sign of such geological activity on a world other than Earth.[14] On 12 May 2015, scientists announced that sea salt from a subsurface ocean may be coating some geological features on Europa, suggesting that the ocean is interacting with the seafloor. This may be important in determining if Europa could be habitable for life.[15]
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(moon)
                  Which are not likely to be making craft capable of inter-planetary travel.

Likewise "sentient being" is less than precise. If you've ever been around pets (cats, dogs) or some livestock, you'll know they have a degree of self-awareness and response suggesting some learning ability, sensitivity to stimuli(pain), etc.; EXCERPT:
                  Sentience is the capacity to feel, perceive, or experience subjectively.[1] Eighteenth-century philosophers used the concept to distinguish the ability to think (reason) from the ability to feel (sentience). In modern Western philosophy, sentience is the ability to experience sensations (known in philosophy of mind as "qualia"). In Eastern philosophy, sentience is a metaphysical quality of all things that requires respect and care. The concept is central to the philosophy of animal rights, because sentience is necessary for the ability to suffer, and thus is held to confer certain rights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentience

To rephrase your question, "Do I believe intelligent and technologically capable beings of non-terrestrial biological origins, possessed of inter-planetary and/or interstellar travel capabilities have visited this planet, "in person" or via their devices at any time in the past or within human history?

Yes.

Comment

• The Strange, Sordid History of the ‘Black Knight Satellite’
                    http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2016/0...ght-satellite/

Comment

Perhaps in your mind and reading your screen it seems that way, but you still fail the precision language test here.

For example, "extraterrestrial life" is broad and generic enough to include simple life forms, lichen, microbes, "fishes" etc. such as might be found under the ice of Europa; EXCERPT:
                      Slightly smaller than the Moon, Europa is primarily made of silicate rock and has a water-ice crust[10] and probably an iron–nickel core. It has a tenuous atmosphere composed primarily of oxygen. Its surface is striated by cracks and streaks, whereas craters are relatively rare. It has the smoothest surface of any known solid object in the Solar System.[11] The apparent youth and smoothness of the surface have led to the hypothesis that a water ocean exists beneath it, which could conceivably serve as an abode for extraterrestrial life.[12] This hypothesis proposes that heat from tidal flexing causes the ocean to remain liquid and drives geological activity similar to plate tectonics.[13] On 8 September 2014, NASA reported finding evidence supporting earlier suggestions of plate tectonics in Europa's thick ice shell—the first sign of such geological activity on a world other than Earth.[14] On 12 May 2015, scientists announced that sea salt from a subsurface ocean may be coating some geological features on Europa, suggesting that the ocean is interacting with the seafloor. This may be important in determining if Europa could be habitable for life.[15]
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(moon)
                      Which are not likely to be making craft capable of inter-planetary travel.

Likewise "sentient being" is less than precise. If you've ever been around pets (cats, dogs) or some livestock, you'll know they have a degree of self-awareness and response suggesting some learning ability, sensitivity to stimuli(pain), etc.; EXCERPT:
                      Sentience is the capacity to feel, perceive, or experience subjectively.[1] Eighteenth-century philosophers used the concept to distinguish the ability to think (reason) from the ability to feel (sentience). In modern Western philosophy, sentience is the ability to experience sensations (known in philosophy of mind as "qualia"). In Eastern philosophy, sentience is a metaphysical quality of all things that requires respect and care. The concept is central to the philosophy of animal rights, because sentience is necessary for the ability to suffer, and thus is held to confer certain rights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentience

To rephrase your question, "Do I believe intelligent and technologically capable beings of non-terrestrial biological origins, possessed of inter-planetary and/or interstellar travel capabilities have visited this planet, "in person" or via their devices at any time in the past or within human history?

Yes.
                      A simple "yes" would have sufficed.
                      Ernest Hemingway.

Mark Twain.

Comment

A simple "yes" would have sufficed.
                        To simple minds that over simplify a rather complex issue/topic, perhaps. The vagueness of your post and question would have warranted a simple "no" for an answer. I elaborated for the sake of the other readers here.

Comment

To simple minds that over simplify a rather complex issue/topic, perhaps. The vagueness of your post and question would have warranted a simple "no" for an answer. I elaborated for the sake of the other readers here.
                          Complex issues? You post click baiting links on this thread with ambiguous/dubious stories that project ideas with no foundation.
                          Ernest Hemingway.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Complex issues? You post click baiting links on this thread with ambiguous/dubious stories that project ideas with no foundation.
                            Yeah. Try looking thru the whole thread.
                            Meanwhile you insulted the "aliens" so much they shut this website down for a day plus.

Comment

Yeah. Try looking thru the whole thread.
                              Meanwhile you insulted the "aliens" so much they shut this website down for a day plus.
                              Oh I've read the thread, no revelations or startling new evidence. It belongs to someone with intellectual insularity.
                              Last edited by Achtung Baby; 11 Jul 16, 06:46.
                              Ernest Hemingway.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Oh I've read the thread, no revelations or startling new evidence. It belongs to someone with intellectual insularity.
                                Try re-reading posts number 198 and 199.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X