This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Drusus: my own theory has always been what I call the Botany Bay theory; that is, we we started as a penal colony for rejects from other civilizations.

When you consider the situation from that perspective, the lack of contact makes sense. We're in total lock down quarantine and the guards are not encouraged to mingle with the inmates, who have an unending history of murderous violence towards each other and who can be counted on to unite in murderous violence against outsiders, and we have thousands of nuclear weapons.

This theory of mine always accounts for all of the racial variations in somatotypes among H. sapiens - we aren't from here to begin with. Pygmies are from higher gravity worlds. Tall species like the Watusi's are from low gravity worlds. Yellow skin and epicanthal folds are suitable for somewhere else, and while you're wondering how crazy I am keep this in mind: if we evolved here, why is our sun still dangerous to us after all of the millions of years? And why do black people get just as sunburned as white people if they evolved with more melanin to counter the effects? And why are so many variations found along the equator of our world, where conditions are mostly pretty equal throughout?

And where and how exactly did Cro Magnon Man appear in the first place?

We are, however, under observation by remotely operated sensors to insure that we never actually boil over and create a threat to the greater populace elsewhere, and that if we do we will only kill off ourselves.

Think of us as the ultimate Alcatraz coupled with the longest running (maybe) genetic experiement in real time using real hominids. After all, where would you put the hardcore incurables? Speaking galactically, a minor planet located far out on the end of one of the galaxy's spiral arms next to the Great Rift and so remote that no other viable planets are anywhere within traveling range of the inhabitants would be the perfect choice. And here we are.

And suppose that our violence is actually useful to the observers. We always talk about taking advantage of alien technology, but we know for a fact that war drives lethal inventions, so if you're a peaceful groups of races living elsewhere in the galaxy, and have been for thousands of years, who invents your weapons? If it were me, I'd watch what the crazies on Sol III are doing, because they invent ever more sophisticated killing methods constantly just to keep up with each other.

Imagine what we would have been like had we evolved in the dense galactic center, which, given the probable number of viable planets in such a crowded location makes the odds of us "just happening" to appear way out here at an incredibly sparse location on the galactic Rim pretty much mathematically a non-starter.

I know everybody will have a good laugh at Mountain Man's latest psychotic episode, but unpack your Occam's Razor and take a good look. One theory accounts for all of it, including the universally held legends of "gods from the stars".

This is one of the variations of Intervention (Ancient Aliens) Theory, and usually gets a bit 'metaphysical' in that it is Souls which are confined to this "Botany Bay Colony", supposedly for their future incarnations~development.

Frank Herbert's book; "The Dosadi Experiment" provides an interesting fictional variation on this theme.

The genetic and biological issues of human adaptation to the environment and other conditions is oft attributed to genetic modifications, including insertion of "alien" genetics making humans a hybrid species. Could explain why we have our DNA organized in 23 chromosomes while our nearest animal 'relatives', the simians/apes have theirs in 24 chromosomes, among other deviations~exceptions;
    http://lloydpye.com/
    http://www.psychedelicadventure.net/...on-theory.html
    http://www.lloydpye.com/interventiontheory.htm
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
    Present Current Events are the Future's History

Comment

• Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
      Because it's THERE!
      No intelligent life form would need any further reason.
      Not good enough! At least for we "intelligent life forms" that are able to travel between the stars and within this galaxy such as to come by your world~star-planet system.

Some questions for you to answer, "Christopher - Claudius Drusus Nero (el hubris)";

> Which of the 25+ galactic worlds/nations (a small fraction of the whole) currently surveying your world do you think should establish "Open Contact" and relations with your world?

> Which of your many nations, or "Powers That Be", should "WE" establish "Open Contact" with?

> Why do you assume that any current "Covert Contact and Relations" "WE" have already establish are not sufficient to "OUR" needs.

> Why do you assume the Galactic Nation that owns your system, is the "Deed Holder", will grant permission to any of the rest of "US" to establish "Contact" with their property?

> Between your Internet and other broadcast communications, media, etc. our much advanced technologies have been able to examine all these such that we know you Humans better than you know yourselves. What more would we learn of value from direct contact?

> "WE" know enough of you humans and your divided and contentious world to know that you are not yet ready to join in the Greater Galactic Community and for now need to be contained and left to your own path of progress, our own version of a "Non-Interference Directive" for indigenous developing sentient/technologant species.

> It seems you fail to appreciate the hazards of microbiological contamination which is part of the risks of inter-stellar contact. One of your historical writers has presented an interesting examination of such from your world's recent history of contact between what you call the Old World and the New World; what your explorers did to so-called native Americans in a time before your knowledge set fully understood disease and pathogens, etc;
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1491:_...efore_Columbus

In fullness of time;

Varg, of Planet Dweeb 4

Comment

• "The Brookings Report"

Before moving further, in seriousness or "play", with regards the trend of posts here, I think it essential to present some further 'background material' for consideration (likely on a link prior in this thread, but whom really reads those ... );

From the Brookings Institute, and Wiki, the oft referenced in "UFOlogy" "Brookings Report";

SELECT EXCERPTS:

Proposed Studies on the Implications of Peaceful Space Activities for Human Affairs, often referred to as "the Brookings Report," was a 1960 report commissioned by NASA and created by the Brookings Institution in collaboration with NASA's Committee on Long-Range Studies. It was submitted to the House Committee on Science and Astronautics of the United States House of Representatives in the 87th United States Congress on April 18, 1961.[1] It was entered into the Congressional Record and can be found in any library possessing the Congressional Record for that year.
        The report has become noted for one short section titled, "The implications of a discovery of extraterrestrial life," which examines the potential implications of such a discovery on public attitudes and values. The section briefly considers possible public reactions to some possible scenarios for the discovery of extraterrestrial life, stressing a need for further research in this area. It recommends continuing studies to determine the likely social impact of such a discovery and its effects on public attitudes, including study of the question of how leadership should handle information about such a discovery and under what circumstances leaders might or might not find it advisable to withhold such information from the public. The significance of this section of the report is a matter of controversy. Persons who believe that extraterrestrial life has already been confirmed and that this information is being withheld by government from the public sometimes turn to this section of the report as support for their view. Frequently cited passages from this section of the report are drawn both from its main body[2] and from its footnotes.[3]

Although the report discusses the need for research on many policy issues related to space exploration, it is most often cited for passages from its brief section on the implications of a discovery of extraterrestrial life. The report touches on the possibility of covering up extraterrestrial life. Noteworthy passages include the following:

"While face-to-face meetings with it will not occur within the next twenty years (unless its technology is more advanced than ours, qualifying it to visit Earth), artifacts left at some point in time by these life forms might possibly be discovered through our space activities on the Moon, Mars, or Venus." – pages 182–183[2]

"Anthropological files contain many examples of societies, sure of their place in the universe, which have disintegrated when they have had to associate with previously unfamiliar societies espousing different ideas and different life ways; others that survived such an experience usually did so by paying the price of changes in values and attitudes and behavior." – page 183

"Since intelligent life might be discovered at any time via the radio telescope research presently under way, and since the consequences of such a discovery are presently unpredictable because of our limited knowledge of behavior under even an approximation of such dramatic circumstances, two research areas can be recommended:
        Continuing studies to determine emotional and intellectual understanding and attitudes -- and successive alterations of them if any -- regarding the possibility and consequences of discovering intelligent extraterrestrial life.
        Historical and empirical studies of the behavior of peoples and their leaders when confronted with dramatic and unfamiliar events or social pressures. Such studies might help to provide programs for meeting and adjusting to the implications of such a discovery. Questions one might wish to answer by such studies would include: How might such information, under what circumstances, be presented to or withheld from the public for what ends? What might be the role of the discovering scientists and other decision makers regarding release of the fact of discovery?" – pages 183–184
        "An individual's reactions to such a radio contact would in part depend on his cultural, religious, and social background, as well as on the actions of those he considered authorities and leaders, and their behavior, in turn, would in part depend on their cultural, social, and religious environment.

"The knowledge that life existed in other parts of the universe might lead to a greater unity of men on Earth, based on the 'oneness' of man or on the age-old assumption that any stranger is threatening. Much would depend on what, if anything, was communicated between man and the other beings . . ." – page 183

"The positions of the major American religious denominations, the Christian sects, and the Eastern religions on the matter of extraterrestrial life need elucidation. Consider the following: 'The Fundamentalist (and anti-science) sects are growing apace around the world . . . For them, the discovery of other life -- rather than any other space product -- would be electrifying. . . . some scattered studies need to be made both in their home centers and churches and their missions, in relation to attitudes about space activities and extraterrestrial life.'" – page 102, n.34[3]

"If super intelligence is discovered, the results become quite unpredictable. It is possible that if the intelligence of these creatures were sufficiently superior to ours, they would choose to have little if any contact with us. On the face of it, there is no reason to believe that we might learn a great deal from them, especially if their physiology and psychology were substantially different from ours."– page 103, n.34

"It has been speculated that, of all groups, scientists and engineers might be the most devastated by the discovery of relatively superior creatures, since these professions are most clearly associated with the mastery of nature, rather than with the understanding and expression of man. Advanced understanding of nature might vitiate all our theories at the very least, if not also require a culture and perhaps a brain inaccessible to Earth scientists." – page 103, n.34

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookings_Report

Comment

• UFOlogy ~ The Meme kicked into higher gear in 1947

Another background material post here:

"UFOlogy", my spelling and emphasis, is the latest, best catch-all phrase I can think of to best contain the scope of the topic of this thread. I my half-century of interest~reading~investigation of this subject I've sampled the full bell-curve range of material/evidence and opinion this phenomena. My personal collection of printed material reflects that range of perspective and evidence~events~etc.

At the one pole is that which is often "religiously(Biblical -?)" driven placing the Visitations/Contact of ET in such terms as "Demonic" or "Satanic manifestations of ('Spiritual'?) Realms ~ Dimensions(?)
          Let's think for now as the "negative pole" ....

Then there are the 'New Age ~"Psychic" ', embrace the 'Great Brotherhood of the Stars' sort whom think there is a selective contact in effect upon those "special" humans that are Open~Awake~Enlightened enough to see and hear .... ....
          Lets think for now of this as the "Overly" positive pole ....

Like most of humanity, I'd like to think I'm among the "Bell Curve" majority somewhere near the middle of these two poles.

Combine this post with the above on 'Brookings' and realize that this Subject/Topic is a litmus test of sorts as well of other interest and value ... one's background and personal bias/conditioning/educating will entrench certain pre-sets on how to deal with this material in emotional and logical ways.

Round about to saying that early on in this thread I presented want I still consider the two most important books to read on this subject, to best gauge the range, depth and nuances of material~evidence involved ...
          Amazon.com: Alien Agenda: Investigating the ...

EXCERT/QUOTE;
          Unconventional Flying Objects: A Scientific Analysis; by Paul R. Hill

Synopsis

Paul Hill was a well-respected NASA scientist when, in the early 1950s, he had a UFO sighting. Soon after, he built the first flying platform and was able to duplicate the UFO's tilt-to-control maneuvers. Official policy, however, prevented him from proclaiming his findings. "I was destined," says Hill, "to remain as unidentified as the flying objects."

For the next twenty-five years, Hill acted as an unofficial clearing house at NASA, collecting and analyzing sightings' reports for physical properties, propulsion possibilities, dynamics, etc. To refute claims that UFOs defy the laws of physics, he had to make "technological sense ... of the unconventional object."

After his retirement from NASA, Hill finally completed his remarkable analysis. In Unconventional Flying Objects, published posthumously, he presents his findings that UFOs "obey, not defy, the laws of physics." Vindicating his own sighting and thousands of others, he proves that UFO technology is not only explainable, but attainable.
          http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Unc.../9781571740274

http://www.amazon.com/Unconventional.../dp/1571740279

And a review/synopsis;
          http://www.ldolphin.org/hill.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
            Chris,

Mr.Bock, (David, If I may)
            Whether the issues concerning me are NEW or not is not the point. The point is that this thread has palpably failed to address them. I have looked at evry post on this thread, and my original questions are far from addressed. So, point by belaboured point then....Arnolds 'world shaking' siting should not have been 'the first' at all. If these objects were anything but a modern product from our own era, we would have creditable sitings listed in the Domesday Book, or the Bayeaux Tapestry, or the Regia de Henricus. But we don't. And further, why is it that only MODERN people have claimed alien abduction? There is not one medieval person claiming same. Why? Because there were no science fiction stories or examples of things manufactured that were flying through the air to put it in the minds of people to gain attention by claiming abductions. It took science fiction to put the concept in everyone's mind, and then modern technology provided the template for the rest.

And before you mention Mayan Pyramids or Erich von Daniken, lets just ask ourselves why it is that Viking Sagas have no record of anything like it either. For Egypt, these concepts were part of the religon of the high and mighty, concepts not shared by the common people, so no stories from them. The common egyptian wasn't meant to view much less understand tomb inscriptions, so only fantsasy stories come from the mighty rulers who believed such nonsense.

Sorry to hear about your surgery...get well soon!

This thread has not addressed my questions at all. They were

1/ Why have intelligent aliens never actually exposed themselves to us? The one feature of intelligent life is it's curiosity. Are you saying they travel all this way and spend all of their resources/money to sit here and observe for evermore? i find that stupid. If they are as intelligent as made out to be, the very first thing they would do is MEET AND GREET, then share information, and THEN observe to obtain data. We would do it that way, so why not suppose that they would as well?

2/ UFO 'evidence' is ALWAYS inconclusive. Hard evidence requires conclusiveness as a matter of course. Anything else is speculation, and so far, thats all we have.

3/ Intelligent life is RARE on this planet where life proliferates. Why should we not make the same assumption about the rest of the universe. We have no proof for anything else really. Plenty of proof to suppose that 99.999 recurring % of life is as unintelligent as an insect.

Becaude I KNOW you are worth more than such sentiments, I'll let this paragraph slide and pass it off as the effects from the painkilling drugs they must be pumping into you from your no doubt painful and long convelescence. I actually dont think any the worse of you as a person for holding such beliefs as you do. As Wilde paraphrased someone else..."I don't agree with you Sir, but by Gum, I'll defend your right to say it."

1/ NAY...NEIN...NON...We should already have proof of contact long ago, by humans long gone from this mortal coil. the fact that all this nonsense appeared when the tech ideas manifested themselves in popular imaginations speaks volumes for contact as NAY.

2/Once we get proper Empirical evidence, all these photos will be explained in due cours. Until then, such pointless speculative bull leaves me yawning. I'd rather study the reasons for the low total of english dead at agincourt. It far more relevant, topical, interesting, and proovable

3/ Until we can accelerate to light speed or just below it, and navigate a path so that we dont hit anything the size of a small rock, we've got NO CHANCE. Too far away, and we die trying until we get fast enough or can pull some Frank Herbert style trick of moving from one point to another without moving anywhere at all.

4/Life elseewhere is mostly going to be not on our level. Why are we the ONLY life form from billions of earth examples to achieve intelligence that enables us to even think about escaping this place when it dies?

oh Ive looked around this thread alright. Lots of hearsay, sitings from people who cannot prove their sentiments Empirically, and accusations of un-necessary government 'cover-ups'. The existence of intelligent life other than us would be the BIGGEST story in human history, and impossible to cover up. So, to address the other points from above

5/ I quote Asimov a lot when dealing with this. his book, "In The Beginning" stated quite clearly, "100,000 other eartyhs in the entire universe". Thats not a lot, compared to the number of actual planets. Microscopic probability of another earth eveolving anything like US.
            6/ Media. False information, false results. Victims of their own lack of professional investigation. modern journalists are show ponies with no background reading.

Food for thought eh? Not so far. Food for a born sceptic to feast on, more to the point. But, keep plugging away, and when we have some reproducable evidence in the Empirical manner, I'll be the first convert. Until then, it's really just a lot of people attracting attention, or selling books, or trying to get a research grant for something to be studied for the rest of their lives, so that they can guarantee a pension and a good retirement at the expense of the sensibilities of the majority. It's also nice to be called an 'expert' at something you need no academic credit for.

Hope you get well soon, really I do. I'll be more than happy to contribute to your other posted threads, but I remain a conviced skeptic for this one, until Varg from the Planet Dweeb 4 appears in my living room, asking for a beverage and a cheese roll.

Christopher
            I may "slice and dice" this post at a later date, but for now place it on "Hold" as in light of my prior above, will shift order and deal with the "Media~MSM" facet/aspect of the topic in posts to follow ...

Comment

• Media ~ MSM treatment of "Flying Saucers" ~UFOs ~ etc. ...

As title suggests, a varied response from "broadcast", print/"Press", MSM, internet~people's press, etc ...

Some might claim that Hitler's rise to power was the start of WWII, others that the partion and carving of Czechoslovakia was such, yet most settle upon the invasion of Poland, Sept. 1, 1939 as such ...

Hence, in a way similar, Arnold's sighting of late June 1947 and events afterward become a benchmark for the "start" of the current "Flying Saucer"~"UFO" era of events and public concern/awareness, etc. ...

On the foundation of the "Foo-Fighter" accounts of late 1945 > the USA press had a threshold that Arnold's sighting helped to cross-over ... in months and years to follow many similar sightings~events would occur and the factual and fictional mindset of mid-20th Century Earth would respond. One key response would be the fictional "The Day the Earth Stould Still" ...
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Da...th_Stood_Still

From hence would derive the cry "Why don't "THEY" land on the White House lawn and ... Etc. ... When in the film the "Flying Saucer" lands on a baseball diamond of a city park near the WH. ...

Oh well, of such are Memes made ...

Thru the late 1940's (post-Arnold) into the early 1950's the "media' remained largely objective reporting nearly any and all "sightings". This began to taper into a more selective sampling and by the late 1960-early 1970's started to shape as the "giggle factor" approach, aping "official" USA Guv'mint dealings~policy ~ etc.

I should clarify that this is regards the broadcast~print/press/ to-be MSM. Book and Magazine publishers being a more open breed of media makers, there was no shortage of varied printed ideas regards "UFOs" during the 1950-1970's. This channel began to "choke" a bit in the late 1970~early 1980's.

While there remains a large volume of "Independent press" release of varied quality regards "UFOlogy", since then, the public "consensus" would seem to be shaped by ... which "broadcast" media ~ medium ... ???

Comment

• Slight detour from intended agenda ...

Last Week’s Downed UFO? A Rocket, But No One Knows Which

EXCERPT:
                The thing that dropped through Earth’s atmosphere on November 13 was not a UFO. Nor was it a meteor, a spy satellite, or a very surprised whale. It was—probably…almost certainly—a segment of rocket casing from an old space probe.

Nor did it completely fall to Earth. Instead, the object designated WT1190F (yeah, we read it as “WTF” too) burned up hundreds of miles above the Indian Ocean. It was one of tens of thousands of pieces of so-called space junk orbiting the Earth. In fact, WT1190F’s big, elliptical orbit actually encompassed the moon, too. Despite having no close observations of the object, scientists know all this, and more.

“The first clue that it was something manmade come from old observations of it going back to 2009,” says Jonathan McDowell, an astrophysicist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. Made by astronomer Bill Gray at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, these observations showed WT1190F getting pushed around by the sun’s radiation. The only way those orbital wobbles would be consistent with physics would be if the object were either an incredibly light rock, or hollow.

What’s more, in the hour before WT1190F struck the atmosphere, astronomers noticed WT1190F switching from bright to dim, flashing on and off. “That means the thing is spinning, maybe at 70 or 80 rotations per minute,” says McDowell. That is almost exactly the spin rate that NASA’s engineers apply to ejected rocket sections to make sure their orbits stay stable.

“The facts that it is light, that it is a meter or two in size, and that it is spinning so fast lead us to the idea that it is a discarded rocket stage,” says McDowell. In fact, they even have a pretty good idea which rocket the debris belonged to. “If you look back on things launched out to lunar distance before 2009 that haven’t been seen recently, there are only a couple of candidates.”
                http://www.wired.com/2015/11/last-we...e-knows-which/

Comment

• For three days over one location, more than just a few, Farmington, NM; March 1950 ...
                  Witness recalls 1950 Farmington UFO Armada | New …

The Farmington UFO Armada - Farmington, New …

1950: The Farmington UFO Armada - Think About It

Images of 1950 farmington ufo

Comment

• The CIA’s Guide to Taking Pictures of UFOs

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the...ctures-of-ufos

7 of the most surreal UFO documents from the CIA archive

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offbea...lcA?li=BBnba9J

Comment

• ^ Another related ...
                      Real-life 'X-Files'? CIA posts trove of UFO documents

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/...?intcmp=hpbt4#

Comment

• Yeah Nerdist had fun with it...

http://nerdist.com/wtfridays-cia-dec...ments-x-files/
                        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

• Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                          There is a multi-layered~faceted aspect to the topics alluded to in this thread title and OP, and UFOs("Flying Saucers") has been an aspect of this. When trying to slice and dice the "Out~Side of the Box(of our understanding and explaining)" range of phenomena present and past, The "UFO" thyng has been there through-out Human history and would seem to have taken an uptick in the past century or so.

Part of what blurs the lines of distinction regarding UFOs is how some elements of this phenomena overlay those of other paranormal events/phenomena such as to suggest manifestations of a four or more physical dimension.

Interesting and "Freudian???" how your link segues to a vampire topic ...

X-Files lives .... the Truth be with you.

Comment

• The Klerksdorp Spheres: Worth A Closer Look

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2016/0...a-closer-look/

The claim by some is that these are artificial. This article does a good job of explaining how they are a natural phenomena.

Comment

• What UFOs Mean for Why People Don't Trust Science

The history of ufology shows the complex psychology of fringe beliefs.
                              http://www.theatlantic.com/science/a...cience/463386/

Comment

• Odd Reports Detail Massive “Mystery Blimps” Over SoCal

Los Angeles is a strange, and maybe even eerie place in the early morning hours. The illuminated summits of distant mountains, rising so steeply off the flat surface of the lowland expanse, certainly might lead a visitor to mistake structures along the ridges for distant, hovering lights.
                                Despite this illusion, reports of alleged mystery aircraft, sometimes hypothesized to be secret DARPA projects involving “stealth blimp” programs, have been reported in the area since the 1980s. According to the website of the Federation of American Scientists (FAS), “A very intriguing aircraft was been reported in the late 1980s. Some observers claim to have witnessed a vast black flying wing, estimated at between 600 and 800 feet in width, passing silently over city streets in California. The craft moved so slowly one observer claimed that he could jog along with it. The aircraft reportedly executed bizarre maneuvers in which it stopped, rotated in place and hovered vertically, pointing its thin trailing edge toward the ground.”
                                http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2016/0...ps-over-socal/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X