"Scientists unmask ‘Ghost Mountains’ of Antarctica at last"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Scientists unmask ‘Ghost Mountains’ of Antarctica at last"

Scientists at the International Polar Year conference in Norway this week revealed startling new images of the Gamburtsev Mountain Range of Antarctica, a huge and mysterious “ghost range” buried beneath more than a mile of ice.

The images are the result of radar technology, and reveal a dramatic landscape of rocky summits, deep river valleys, and liquid, not frozen, lakes, all hidden beneath the ice. The range itself rivals the Alps in size and cover an area that is roughly the size of New York State.

[...]

LINK

2009 Telegraph Article
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Truely an amazing find and wonderful example of the diversity of mother nature in action. Now i'd be lying if i didn't say that i would like to walk those valleys and see those hidden lakes and peaks. But it wasn't meant to be so i take joy non the less in knowing their still there.

Thunder Dome

Comment

How are their liquid lakes down there? Is it the pressure of the ice on top, warmth from underground Magma, or what? And could there be life? Like prehistoric life that could be extinct everywhere else (though under a mile of ice it's probably dark and they have no eyes. Pity)
      How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
      275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

Comment

Originally posted by Wolery View Post
        How are their liquid lakes down there? Is it the pressure of the ice on top, warmth from underground Magma, or what? And could there be life? Like prehistoric life that could be extinct everywhere else (though under a mile of ice it's probably dark and they have no eyes. Pity)
        It's the pressure that enables the presence of liquid water under the ice.

There could be life down there. When ice cores are drilled above Lake Vostok, great care is to not penetrate the base of the ice; so as to avoid contaminating the lake.

If there is life, it's probably microbial.
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

And as noted eleswhere; and by other posters 'gone and present'. It's possibly the cleanest fresh water on the planet.
          Last edited by Thunder Dome; 14 Jun 10, 14:16.

Comment

When it comes to Antarctica,Lake Vostok interests me the most.I would love to know what,if any life exists in that lake.I can't imagine any oxygen would be present to support anything sophisticated.
            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
              When it comes to Antarctica,Lake Vostok interests me the most.I would love to know what,if any life exists in that lake.I can't imagine any oxygen would be present to support anything sophisticated.
              Does Life Exist in Antarctic Lake Buried Under Miles of Ice?
              John Roach
              for National Geographic News

November 15, 2004
              Some years ago, researchers found something that sent shivers through the scientific community: a diverse community of microbial life-forms that live without sunlight or a ready supply of nutrients.

The scientists were not searching deep space when they made their find. Rather, they were sampling the bottom of a 2.5-mile-thick (4-kilometer-thick) Antarctic ice sheet.

[...]

LINK
              The Russians are actually getting close to sampling the lake itself...
              Russians Close to Reaching Lake Vostok

By Irina Titova

The St. Petersburg Times

Russian scientists have 100 meters of ice left to drill in order to reach the waters of the unique subglacial Lake Vostok in Antarctica.

The scientists expect to reach the lake in 2010-2011. To make future research more effective, they have made a three-dimensional map of the shore and bottom of the lake, said Valery Lukin, head of the Russian Antarctic Expedition.

The scientists have also developed new equipment to ensure that their entrance into the lake’s sterile waters will not result in external contamination, which has been a source of concern among the international scientific society, Lukin said.

[...]

Lake Vostok, estimated to be about a million years old, is located under the territory of Russia’s oldest polar station, Vostok, which was opened in 1957. The ice above the lake is estimated to be 400,000 years old. The water of the lake is fresh, but the oxygen content in it is approximately 50 times higher than in regular fresh water. Scientists say the lake may turn out to be similar to the subglacial water reservoirs on Jupiter’s satellite Europa.

The lake is located almost four kilometers beneath the ice, and its surface is 252 meters lower than sea level. Lake Vostok is as big as North America’s Lake Ontario, at 250 kilometers long, 50 kilometers wide and 750 kilometers deep.

[...]

LINK
              I think the 750 kilometer depth is a typo.

Comment

Thanks for the links Dave!So they are saying that the oxygen content is 50 times higher than in a normal lake.Could it be possible higher lifeforms have evolved in that lake?Is one million years enough time for that?
                ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder Dome View Post
                  Truely an amazing find and wonderful example of the diversity of mother nature in action. Now i'd be lying if i didn't say that i would like to walk those valleys and see those hidden lakes and peaks. But it wasn't meant to be so i take joy non the less in knowing their still there.

Thunder Dome
                  Just wait a few years and you can...
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                    Thanks for the links Dave!So they are saying that the oxygen content is 50 times higher than in a normal lake.Could it be possible higher lifeforms have evolved in that lake?Is one million years enough time for that?
                    I doubt there are higher forms of life down there... But there are probably a lot of microbial critters.

Comment

Presumably these mountains would have last been above the ice 3 million years ago when there were forests in antartica.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...29/ai_4164401/
                      "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                        Presumably these mountains would have last been above the ice 3 million years ago when there were forests in antartica.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...29/ai_4164401/
                        That's probably about right.

The East Antarctic Ice Sheet probably started out as relatively small glaciers on these mountains about 40 million years ago. They've probably been totally buried for at least 3 million years, maybe as long as 5 million.

Comment

GPR profile of the Gamburtsev mountain range...

My first thought when I read the headline - Antarctic ice sheet built 'bottom-up' - was, "No sh!t, Sherlock. Of course the ice sheet was built from the bottom-up. It would be physically impossible for it to have been built from the top-down"... But the article itself is interesting. Hopefully, when the paper appears in Science, it won't be behind the "pay-wall."

Comment

Of course, the truly amazing thing about all of this is that Piri Reis drew a map of this, taken from older maps, in 1513 - without any of today's technology.
                            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder Dome View Post
                              And as noted eleswhere; and by other posters 'gone and present'. It's possibly the cleanest fresh water on the planet.
                              Lets just hope those soulless, evil, community destroying, govt bribing aresholes from Fiji Water do not ever get their filthy hands on it.

Or anyone else for that matter.
                              One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
                              Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X