X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacific islands "defy sea-level rise"

From the NewScientist website:

Shape-shifting islands defy sea-level rise. A blurb:

AGAINST all the odds, a number of shape-shifting islands in the middle of the Pacific Ocean are standing up to the effects of climate change.

For years, people have warned that the smallest nations on the planet - island states that barely rise out of the ocean - face being wiped off the map by rising sea levels. Now the first analysis of the data broadly suggests the opposite: most have remained stable over the last 60 years, while some have even grown.

Interesting.

But as far as water is concerned, I am only worried about the disappearing water. ie the water of our deep aquifers. We are simply wasting it too efficiently and too fast.

Land masses come and go. If we lose some Pacific islands, I'll get over it (and so will they).

Mother nature does a fine job of making new islands too.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Probably the results of 60 years of garbage landfills.

I'm with Les...potable water is the key, not dinky little tourist attractions thousands of miles from the real world.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
        Berlin.1945
        by casanova
        The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
        Yesterday, 23:41
      • casanova
        AW 169M
        by casanova
        The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
        Yesterday, 23:26
      • JBark
        What changed?
        by JBark
        There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
        Yesterday, 18:54
      Working...
      X