Kauri trees and historical climate change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kauri trees and historical climate change

A project to use preserved kauri trees in New Zealand for historical climate change data. They are hoping for a 30,000 year sequence.

They've done similar work with bog oak in Britain and with architectural timber from SW US sites.

Scientists to Unearth Ice Age Secrets from Preserved Tree Rings (ScienceDaily)
    ScienceDaily (Apr. 6, 2010) Oxford University is involved in a research project to unearth 30,000 year old climate records, before they are lost forever. The rings of preserved kauri trees, hidden in New Zealand's peat bogs, hold the secret to climate fluctuations spanning back to the end of the last Ice Age.

Samples from a network of sites with buried trees will be collected in New Zealand and taken back to the UK laboratories for preparation and analysis at Exeter and then radiocarbon measurement at Oxford.

Ok. That baby should be good for a bunch of tree-rings

(I wonder if we can get through this thread without an Al Gore joke. No. No, I don't think we can)
    Last edited by Zemlekop; 10 Apr 10, 11:52.
    Every 10 years a great man.
    Who paid the bill?

Very cool!
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

NZ climate has ALWAYS been miserable.
      The PLO claims ALL of Israel!!! There will and can NEVER be a "2 State solution".

Comment

That's a BIG tree.

Comment

There's something about crappy climates and big trees.
          Who paid the bill?

Comment

Then how do you explain the California sequoias?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Then how do you explain the California sequoias?
              Crappy climate--I'm looking at a grove outside my window. Or I would be if I could see them through the fog .
              Who paid the bill?

Comment

Originally posted by Zemlekop View Post
                Crappy climate--I'm looking at a grove outside my window. Or I would be if I could see them through the fog .
                Yup...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequoia

Wiki I know but a well referenced article:

Coast Redwoods occupy a narrow strip of land approximately 750 km (470 miles) in length and 875 km (547 miles) in width along the Pacific coast of North America; the elevation range is mostly from 30750 m, occasionally down to sea level and up to 920 m (about 3,000 feet) (Farjon 2005). They usually grow in the mountains where there is more precipitation from the incoming moisture off the ocean.

This native area provides a unique environment with heavy seasonal rains (of up to 2,500 mm or 100 inch annually). Cool coastal air and fog keep this forest consistently damp year round. Several factors, including the heavy rainfall, create a soil with fewer nutrients than the trees need, causing the trees to depend heavily on the entire biotic community of the forest, and complete recycling of the trees when dead.
                Wow that's a lot of rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Zemlekop View Post
                  !

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X