Arctic Sea Ice Returning to "Normal"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arctic Sea Ice Returning to "Normal"

The Arctic Sea ice not only continues to ignore the dire predictions of its imminent demise, but it's actually approaching its historical average...

National Snow and Ice Data Center Daily Images

The Danish Meteorological Institute shows that Arctic Sea extent is at a "record" high...

The Norwegians show that the Arctic Sea ice area has actually exceeded its 30-yr mean...

Somehow, I think that if Arctic Sea Ice was approaching a record low, it would be headline news. Apparently "normal" Arctic Sea ice extent only merits reporting by outlets like...

Watts Up With That?
    Last edited by The Doctor; 31 Mar 10, 21:07.
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Don't you think it's a little premature to say that? I mean I'd buy into the man made global warming thing, but it seems like you're saying you've won the eight number lotto with only five numbers called so far.
    How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
    275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

Comment

Originally posted by Wolery View Post
      Don't you think it's a little premature to say that?
      Premature? No.

Sarcastic? Yes.

There is no such thing as a "normal" Arctic Sea ice extent. It's always expanding or contracting. And the "historical average" is based on 30 years of satellite data.

The NSIDC, which is under the auspices of NASA and the University of Colorado-Boulder, defines "normal" as the 1979-2000 mean.

Originally posted by Wolery
      I mean I'd buy into the man made global warming thing, but it seems like you're saying you've won the eight number lotto with only five numbers called so far.
      Satellite coverage of the ice extent began in 1979. The shortest meaningful climate cycle is about ~60 years long. The most important climate cycle relative to human civilization is ~1,500 years long. Deriving a meaningful long-term sea ice extent trend from 30 years of data is like "saying you've won the 1,500 number lotto with only 30 numbers called so far."

The sea ice extent declined slightly from 1979-2005; then declined sharply from 2005-2007. It has been recovering since 2007. It will be above "normal" in a few days, if the current trend continues.

The really odd thing that's going on this year, it that the spring melt is behind schedule even though Arctic temperatures have tended to be a bit above normal over the past month or so...

Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
        Berlin.1945
        by casanova
        The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
        Yesterday, 23:41
      • casanova
        AW 169M
        by casanova
        The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
        Yesterday, 23:26
      • JBark
        What changed?
        by JBark
        There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
        Yesterday, 18:54
      Working...
      X