Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dumping nuclear waste into the sun.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dumping nuclear waste into the sun.

    I noticed a couple of members earlier today were suggesting we should dump our nuclear waste into the sun... perhaps it's time to get into the details in how difficult that idea really is.
    In the link you can either watch the video or read the transcript.
    https://www.universetoday.com/133317...-into-the-sun/

    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

  • #2
    And just one Challenger-level accident and you can kiss human habitation of Florida good-bye.
    ScenShare Guidelines:

    1) Enjoy creating it
    2) Enjoy playing it
    3) Enjoy sharing it
    4) Enjoy helping others create them

    The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

    FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Herman Hum View Post
      And just one Challenger-level accident and you can kiss human habitation of Florida good-bye.
      Nah, they'd just mutate is all, and given it is Florida how would we know the difference?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Tuebor View Post

        Nah, they'd just mutate is all, and given it is Florida how would we know the difference?
        Especially if we sent them all to California!
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

        Comment


        • #5
          Doesn't really matter - hurricane approaches Florida, President orders nuke dropped in it - goodbye Florida ( and passably Louisiana and parts of Texas.

          Like shooting a wart off your toe
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
            I noticed a couple of members earlier today were suggesting we should dump our nuclear waste into the sun... perhaps it's time to get into the details in how difficult that idea really is.
            In the link you can either watch the video or read the transcript.
            https://www.universetoday.com/133317...-into-the-sun/
            I thought they all meant "the Calgary Sun..."

            https://calgarysun.com/category/news
            Last edited by marktwain; 27 Aug 19, 11:02.
            The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MarkV View Post
              Doesn't really matter - hurricane approaches Florida, President orders nuke dropped in it - goodbye Florida ( and passably Louisiana and parts of Texas.

              Like shooting a wart off your toe

              Comment


              • #8
                climate and weather are not the same thing
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                  I noticed a couple of members earlier today were suggesting we should dump our nuclear waste into the sun... perhaps it's time to get into the details in how difficult that idea really is.
                  In the link you can either watch the video or read the transcript.
                  https://www.universetoday.com/133317...-into-the-sun/
                  On first glance, it appears to be the perfect solution, but a little practical thought reveals how dangerous such a thing could be to us if, for example, a launch failed or crashed. And that would be merely the tip of the iceberg.

                  We currently lack the level of technology needed to guarantee a flawless launch every single time, or to provide an absolute fail-safe.

                  And as massive as the Sun is, I wonder what effect a constant stream of nuclear waste might have on its surface activities, which have such a tremendous effect on our atmosphere and communications.

                  One of the most interesting and frustrating things about we humans is our constant development of new technology without the concurrent development of ways to handle the results, or the deleterious consequences. We've had nuclear power for quite a while, now, and we still haven't solved the most basic problems surrounding it...but Boy Howdy can we blow up!
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                    climate and weather are not the same thing
                    Yet the weather ~ hurricane ~ is the result of climate, or more correctly a component of.

                    Sort of like the individual cells are part of the whole body that is you.

                    Comment

                    Latest Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X