Can we make space cool again?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
    Same in a way applies here actually - it just seems to be handled in a bit different manner. The teacher training (and practice) for the subject teachers is part of the expanded minor of pedagogy that i discussed earlier.
    I participate in a writer's group here. A number of the participants are teachers. Their level of knowledge on science and technology is execrable. They have difficulty with even some of the most basic concepts. It's truly sad, and they're the ones teaching our kids...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      When it takes a lifetime to get something in the air, often at a cost of billions of dollars, it becomes a venture few, if any, can or will participate in.
      And without mass interest and participation, you will never have the political pressure to make it happen.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Keeping things interesting ...

BREAKING Pressure sensors detected a depressurization in the International Space Station possibly caused by a micrometeorite impact
        Pressure sensors detected a depressurization in the International Space Station (ISS) on Wednesday night.

The crew had to search for a leak, which was eventually traced to the Russian space capsule docked with the station.

The leak was found in the Soyuz craft, which is docked with the ISS, reported Russian space chief Dmitry Rogozin. The official said air was being sucked out through a 1.5mm fracture, which may have been caused by a micrometeorite impact.
        “The crew safety is not in danger,” he said. “The spaceship will be kept, a repair kit will be used.”
        https://www.airlive.net/breaking-pre...eorite-impact/
        Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses.
        TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
        Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

Comment

Close call! Thankfully the crew is safe;
          Miracle escape for Space Station astronauts as rocket fails mid-launch...

Harrowing 7G 'ballistic re-entry'...

Video...

Russia 'launches criminal investigation'...

NASA exploring flying space station without crew...
          Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

Comment

NASA Approves Space Plane For Future Missions To The ISS

A miniature space plane designed to take cargo to the International Space Station (ISS) has been approved by NASA to begin production, with a possible first flight in late 2020.

Called the Dream Chaser, the vehicle is being built by the Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) from Sparks, Nevada as part of a NASA Commercial Resupply Services (CRS) 2 contract. Yesterday, Tuesday December 18, SNC revealed their spacecraft had passed a key review, and development could now move forward in earnest.
            Dream Chaser is a reusable space plane that’s about four times smaller than the Space Shuttle, measuring about nine meters (30 feet) long. It would launch on top of a rocket, namely the Atlas V, to reach space.
            https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonatha...o-the-iss/amp/

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
              NASA Approves Space Plane For Future Missions To The ISS

A miniature space plane designed to take cargo to the International Space Station (ISS) has been approved by NASA to begin production, with a possible first flight in late 2020.

Called the Dream Chaser, the vehicle is being built by the Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) from Sparks, Nevada as part of a NASA Commercial Resupply Services (CRS) 2 contract. Yesterday, Tuesday December 18, SNC revealed their spacecraft had passed a key review, and development could now move forward in earnest.
              Dream Chaser is a reusable space plane that’s about four times smaller than the Space Shuttle, measuring about nine meters (30 feet) long. It would launch on top of a rocket, namely the Atlas V, to reach space.
              https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonatha...o-the-iss/amp/
              So instead of being involved in space exploration, NASA is putting it's shrinking budget to maintenance on an international project which generates little or no mass appeal to voters.

No sex appeal.

You want to make space cool again? Free it from the icy death-grip of bureaucrats.

The Apollo program had a goal that was marketed on national and generational pride. That made it cool.

Stories about 1.5mm leaks are not going to cut it.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

^ Didn't post the above in this thread for the "cool" factor, rather because this is most recent and active thread dealing with space travel and activities ...

BTW, finding ways to make Space profitable and provide new technologies and/or devices would likely work better than just good PR of being "cool".

Comment

^ Didn't post the above in this thread for the "cool" factor, rather because this is most recent and active thread dealing with space travel and activities ...

BTW, finding ways to make Space profitable and provide new technologies and/or devices would likely work better than just good PR of being "cool".
                  It would, but the massive initial investment required to overcome the issues with space travel would require heavy government subsidies, since no CEO is going to pour billions into a project that may mature six CEOs down the road.

And massive government subsidies require a massive PR campaign to seel it to the voters.

So you're back to square 1.

For a space program you will need bipartisan support for at least a decade to get momentum going.

You need sex appeal or secure profits within X years to have a hope of a space program.

And finally, that article isn't about space travel, it is about an orbital delivery system. NASA has been mired in orbit since 1970.

Comment

Ah, but to paraphrase the late, great Robert Heinlein and others, Earth orbit is halfway to anywhere else in the Universe ...

Comment

Ah, but to paraphrase the late, great Robert Heinlein and others, Earth orbit is halfway to anywhere else in the Universe ...
                      Heinlein was a writer of fiction, not a solver of problems or a raiser of funds. And his best work certainly hasn't made space travel sexy.

We're been stuck in orbit for nearly fifty years. All the expertise developed by manned flight has since retired. There's no plan for manned flight outside of orbit on the books.

Not to mention that the chances of a bipartisan effort in a large-scale project are starkly laid out by the current government shutdown...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X