Zhang Heng's seismograph.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zhang Heng's seismograph.

So why was it so hard to replicate Zhang Heng's seismograph... and have they really built one that detects which direction a quake occurred?
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
    Mark Twain.

Well from working with oil and gas industry seismological departments I'd guess that problem is that any shock waves picked up from a great distance have been propagated through so many different geological formations of varying densities that the amount of information contained is pretty low.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
      Well from working with oil and gas industry seismological departments I'd guess that problem is that any shock waves picked up from a great distance have been propagated through so many different geological formations of varying densities that the amount of information contained is pretty low.
      Maybe 50 years ago.

The "amount of information contained" is massive. Modern seismic acquisition and processing methods often enable us to determine lithology, porosity, fluid content and many other petrophysical properties from seismic surveys/
      Last edited by The Doctor; 06 Jun 16, 06:51.
      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
        So why was it so hard to replicate Zhang Heng's seismograph...
        Maybe because the instructions were in Chinese...

Originally posted by Achtung Baby
        and have they really built one that detects which direction a quake occurred?
        You just need three seismographs.

All you need are three (or more) seismographs, the amplitudes of the seismograms and the differences in the p-wave and s-wave arrival times and you can calculate everything you need to know about an earthquake.
        Last edited by The Doctor; 06 Jun 16, 08:45.
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
          Maybe 50 years ago.

The "amount of information contained" is massive. Modern seismic acquisition and processing methods often enable us to determine lithology, porosity, fluid content and many other petrophysical properties from seismic surveys/
          True but not from a single event maybe hundreds of miles away. You have to do a properly conducted survey to do that and a lot closer to the reservoir
          Last edited by MarkV; 06 Jun 16, 08:23.
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
            True but not from a single event maybe hundreds of miles away. You have to do a properly conducted survey to do that and a lot closer to the reservoir
            The oil industry has never used earthquakes as sources for seismic surveys.
            Last edited by The Doctor; 06 Jun 16, 08:34.

Comment

So why was it so hard to replicate Zhang Heng's seismograph... and have they really built one that detects which direction a quake occurred?
              Why don't you tell us, oh knower of all things?
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Why don't you tell us, oh knower of all things?
                A straight answer seems beyond you... move along and play nicely elsewhere please.
                "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
                Mark Twain.

Comment

A straight answer seems beyond you... move along and play nicely elsewhere please.
                  Shocking...

Back to your original question...
                  Was anyone trying to replicate it?

Technically, Zhang Heng invented a "seismoscope." A seismoscope can detect the occurrence of an earthquake. A seismograph records the intensity of an earthquake. The first reported incidence of the measurement of earthquake intensity was in 1783 in Italy.

http://inventors.about.com/od/sstart...eismograph.htm

As I said in a previous post, it takes a minimum of three seismographs, some distance apart, to locate the epicenter of an earthquake.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                    Shocking...

Back to your original question...

Was anyone trying to replicate it?

Technically, Zhang Heng invented a "seismoscope." A seismoscope can detect the occurrence of an earthquake. A seismograph records the intensity of an earthquake. The first reported incidence of the measurement of earthquake intensity was in 1783 in Italy.

http://inventors.about.com/od/sstart...eismograph.htm

As I said in a previous post, it takes a minimum of three seismographs, some distance apart, to locate the epicenter of an earthquake.
                    Yup!
                    Battles are dangerous affairs... Wang Hsi

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                      Berlin.1945
                      by casanova
                      The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                      Yesterday, 23:41
                    • casanova
                      AW 169M
                      by casanova
                      The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                      Yesterday, 23:26
                    • JBark
                      What changed?
                      by JBark
                      There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                      Yesterday, 18:54
                    Working...
                    X