Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth’s Magnetic Field Is Weakening

Earth’s Magnetic Field Is Weakening And We Don’t Know Why

New data released by the European Space Agency reveals that Earth’s magnetic poles are weakening much faster than was previously thought. The data was collected by the ESA’s Swarm satellites, a set of three orbital satellites designed to track the strength, direction and variations of the Earth’s geomagnetic field.
    This recent set of measurements reveals that our geomagnetic field is weakening by around 5% a year, which is nearly ten times faster than previous estimates. According to the a press release by the ESA, the data shows that the field is weakening faster in some places than others:
    This new data might foreshadow a coming reversal of Earth’s magnetic poles, an event thought to occur around every 100,00 years, with the last reversal happening during the human Stone Age. While some Doomsday sayers believe that this magnetic reversal could mark the end of life on Earth, the consensus among geoscientists is that the worst effect could be the re-labeling all of Earth’s compasses.
    The full effects of the Earth’s magnetic field are still largely unknown, although we do know that the field helps shield the Earth from the effects of solar and cosmic radiation. It is believed that the Earth’s spinning core of molten metals might produce the magnetic field, but the exact mechanism by which the field is generated is still under study.
    http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2016/0...dont-know-why/

Obviously another thing we can blame on human caused climate change ACC/AGW.
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz

The biggest effect of the magnetic field is that it stops the solar wind stripping the atmosphere away as it did to Mars. However this would take a long time.
    Its notable that small planets without a molten iron core don't have a magnetic field.

Given that some animals can sense the magnetic field and use it to navigate during migrations one wonders what effect a reversal will have on them
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

No point in worrying about carbon footprints when the world will end in twenty years.

Thankfully I'm as old as I am: statistically I won't lose any time!
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
        Thankfully I'm as old as I am: statistically I won't lose any time!
        I think the appropriate phrase to cover that is "selfish ******"

But say you are wrong and your stats don't work and you are in what could be your golden twilight frying along with everyone else - what then?
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Since we can do nothing about it a series of 'Vault Cities' would be the solution.
          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
            I think the appropriate phrase to cover that is "selfish ******"

But say you are wrong and your stats don't work and you are in what could be your golden twilight frying along with everyone else - what then?
            We'll die. But I'll be close to eighty, so that's a win for me.

Everyone dies, Mark. No reason to get so upset about it.
            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
              Since we can do nothing about it a series of 'Vault Cities' would be the solution.
              Absolutely!

Comment

Excellent! It will speed up my weight loss program!

The really great thing about getting older is that you just don't care any more if the world is going to end.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Excellent! It will speed up my weight loss program!

The really great thing about getting older is that you just don't care any more if the world is going to end.
                  For some, maybe.

Between wife and I we have five children and 13th grandchild on the way, so we have a vested interest in the planet's future, even after we are "gone". I do expect to re-incarnate sometime within the next few decades, so there is added interest in the future.
                  TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
                  “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz

Comment

Well this has happened before and life continued regardless. So I don't see it as a long term issue. Just need to hole up for a period of time...

How long? Hell if I know. You could look up the geological records and see how long it takes to reassert it self...
                    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                      For some, maybe.

Between wife and I we have five children and 13th grandchild on the way, so we have a vested interest in the planet's future, even after we are "gone". I do expect to re-incarnate sometime within the next few decades, so there is added interest in the future.
                      Given that there is nothing to be done about it, there is no point in worrying about it.

Odds are it will amount to nothing, as have the hundreds of other 'end of life' theories that get tossed around.

But if it comes about, well, that's that.

Comment

Should I invest in a pair or two of magnetic boots now before the real price gouging begins?
                        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                          Well this has happened before and life continued regardless. So I don't see it as a long term issue. Just need to hole up for a period of time...

How long? Hell if I know. You could look up the geological records and see how long it takes to reassert it self...
                          The geologic record has insufficient resolution to determine how long the field is down during reversals. The fact that reversals don't seem to correlate with extinctions indicates that the reversals are non-catastrophic.
                          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                            Should I invest in a pair or two of magnetic boots now before the real price gouging begins?
                            A lead-lined helmet would be more useful.
                            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                              The geologic record has insufficient resolution to determine how long the field is down during reversals. The fact that reversals don't seem to correlate with extinctions indicates that the reversals are non-catastrophic.
                              I think you mean mass extinctions. If the temporary loss of the field or its reversal kicked a smaller number of individual species over the edge of extinction and set others back badly but did not lead to their extinction we might never know as the fossil record is by no means complete. It is possible to have a catastrophe that doesn't lead to mass extinction. For example there is some DNA and other evidence that mankind very nearly went extinct about 150,000 years ago possibly falling to about 2,000 individuals. That must have seemed pretty catastrophic.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X