Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A entertaining article.

Is our Universe one of many?
    The idea of parallel universes, once consigned to science fiction, is now becoming respectable among scientists – at least, among physicists, who have a tendency to push ideas to the limits of what is conceivable.
    In fact there are almost too many other potential universes. Physicists have proposed several candidate forms of "multiverse", each made possible by a different aspect of the laws of physics.
    The trouble is, virtually by definition we probably cannot ever visit these other universes to confirm that they exist. So the question is, can we devise other ways to test for the existence of entire universes that we cannot see or touch?

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160...esides-our-own
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Yes, we can...in an alternate universe.

Personally, I think physicists have better things to do with their time, but according to some theorists, Black Holes are a potential gateway to alternate existences since they represent the greatest known distortion of the STC - the Space Time Continuum, so called.

However, until we fully understand our own universe and our proper role in it, I suggest we avoid tampering with alternate ones.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 24 Mar 16, 10:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Yes, we can...in an alternate universe.

Personally, I think physicists have better things to do with their time, but according to some theorists, Black Holes are a potential gateway to alternate existences since they represent the greatest known distortion of the STC - the Space Time Continuum, so called.

However, until we fully understand our own universe and our pro-per role in it, I suggest we avoid tampering with alternate ones.
      I find the 'Brane' theory fascinating. Just think, in one of those your a nice guy...

Just teasing. But doesn't it get you thinking about a alternate you? Myriads of alternate you? What if you 'could' alter your current place in the time/ space event that is the now?
      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
        I find the 'Brane' theory fascinating. Just think, in one of those your a nice guy...

Just teasing. But doesn't it get you thinking about a alternate you? Myriads of alternate you? What if you 'could' alter your current place in the time/ space event that is the now?
        Personally, I don't believe that degree of alternative existence would be possible. An alternative universe, perhaps, but from the moment of conception, all else that follows would be an infinite game of chance. Earth, for example, if it existed at all, could be anything from a lifeless ball to a world still ruled by dinosaurs to a single, gigantic insect colony, or merely a single, primitively forested world without mammalian life at all.

Otherwise, the implication is that the creation of intelligent life is a reproducible process that can be made to occur in exactly the same way time after time, without variables.

And, of course, such a concept would mean that I would always be a crusty old codger and you would always be my nagging tormentor, in every alternative universe.

Comment

Not necessarily so, in some universes you'd be correct some of the time...

Then we'd be in agreement.

Credo quia absurdum.

Comment

If the number of universes is infinite but the number of possible combinations/choices finite even that is an humongous number then there will be an endless series of repeats of every possible permutation and I've just typed this text an infinite number of times, of course I got hit by a meteorite before I could press post an infinite number of times also
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Given that we can only understand 4% of what makes up the universe, any current theories are subject to change without notice.
              "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
              Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
              Mark Twain.

Comment

Let's send Bwaha to explore then he can report back to us, long after I'm dead.
                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                  Not necessarily so, in some universes you'd be correct some of the time...

Then we'd be in agreement.

Hmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                    Given that we can only understand 4% of what makes up the universe, any current theories are subject to change without notice.
                    Exactly.

Comment

Actually, given that we only expect to understand 4% of what we theorize as our understanding of a model of the universe. I suspect a hundred or two hundred years from now our current understanding and "reliance" on science will be seen much like the newest generation sees religion today.
                      Wisdom is personal

Comment

Actually the last few posts have been total piffle. We know what about 15% percent of the mass of the universe is made of (what rubbish heap did 4 % come from) and we know the proportions between dark matter and energy. We think we have a pretty good idea of how these act within the framework of our universe - what we don't know is their composition but expect that the LHC well provide data. Back into the trees gentlemen and scratch your armpits. Feel free to gibber.
                        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                          Actually the last few posts have been total piffle. We know what about 15% percent of the mass of the universe is made of (what rubbish heap did 4 % come from) and we know the proportions between dark matter and energy. We think we have a pretty good idea of how these act within the framework of our universe - what we don't know is their composition but expect that the LHC well provide data. Back into the trees gentlemen and scratch your armpits. Feel free to gibber.
                          Since you mentioned the LHC I can't resist this cute video. Also pertinent to the subject matter...

Credo quia absurdum.

Comment

4% came from Neil Degrasse Tyson, take it up with him.
                            "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                            Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
                            Mark Twain.

Comment

4% came from Neil Degrasse Tyson, take it up with him.
                              A Twitter scientist - nuff said

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X