Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does being healthy make you more likely to be a criminal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does being healthy make you more likely to be a criminal?

Spotted this study that associated a low resting heart rate, with criminality, particularly violence.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/850762#vp_2

My resting heart rate is normally in the mid 40s but I don't think I have murdered anyone...
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

It makes you more likely to keep functioning (instead of faint, for instance, or freeze or panic and run) in moments of stress I think, and thus more successful at fighting and killing -

not necessarily criminal purposes mind you, you could be soldier, policeman, or even a football player
    Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

In a word, no.

Astronauts have extremely low heart rates.

What the so called "study" probably refers to is the lack of any reaction to violence by sociopaths, which leaves their heart rate low despite their crimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
        It makes you more likely to keep functioning (instead of faint, for instance, or freeze or panic and run) in moments of stress I think, and thus more successful at fighting and killing -

not necessarily criminal purposes mind you, you could be soldier, policeman, or even a football player
        I tend to stay calm in pretty much any situation, but I've figured it's just because I'm slow.
        Wisdom is personal

Comment

I haven't seen that. A lot of criminals are also substance abusers, which does not make for good health. Career criminals are general in good shape after getting out of prison, but that fades quickly once they are outside.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

To the extent that health and hormones are related there seems to be a correlation

Sex, violence, and hormones

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...e-and-hormones

Decide for yourself is biology plays a role in behaviour

Are XYY males more prone to aggressive behavior than XY males?

Read more: http://www.scienceclarified.com/disp...#ixzz42LJcNh2Z

Correlation of course does not equal causation but predispositions account for most behavior in human apes just like their relatives. All human behaviour is of course modified by culture. Many people fall into what I call the chicken or the egg fallacy in which they want it to be all or nothing. People like a black and white world. Whether it is a 40 60 mix or a 20 80 mix of nature and nurture is anyone's guess most of the time.

The real problem with studies on topics like this is that we are not privy to the inner workings of peoples minds. Criminal behaviour is an expression of criminal thoughts but criminal behaviour does not measure predisposition.
            We hunt the hunters

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X