Hundreds Of New Galaxies Discovered Behind Milky Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hundreds Of New Galaxies Discovered Behind Milky Way

The Milky Way is seen in the night sky in the White Desert north of the Farafra Oasis near Cairo, Egypt. (Reuters)

A new telescope view has revealed hundreds of galaxies that were previously obscured by the Milky Way's bulk.
    Scientists used an Australian radio telescope famous for assisting with the moon landings to peer through the gas and dust of the Milky Way, and uncovered 883 galaxies hidden behind it one-third of which were never observed before. You can see how the hidden galaxies were found in this video.
    http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/...ntcmp=obinsite
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

1000 galaxies is a drop in the ocean...
    Battles are dangerous affairs... Wang Hsi

Comment

True, oh grumpy one, but it is a drop more than we had before, and we are left to p0nder what else is hidden behind the Milky Way, nicht wahr?

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate-Drakk View Post
        1000 galaxies is a drop in the ocean...
        Well I'm impressed even if you aren't
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

So, the MW is the biggest photobomber we know of?
          Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
          Hyperwar, Whats New
          World War II Resources
          The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
            So, the MW is the biggest photobomber we know of?
            Is it?

Comment

If you have a view like I do a drop of water is the cosmos.
              Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                If you have a view like I do a drop of water is the cosmos.
                That restrictive, eh?

Come on, Bwaha, I know you've still got some romance and mystery buried deep inside your soul under that crusty outer layer. Let it out once in a while!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Is it?
                  Got a bigger one?
                  Hyperwar, Whats New
                  World War II Resources

Comment

Nope the ex killed the romance bit and as far as mystery, well I'll let you wonder...

I just did a old man maneuver, tripped on a concrete pad and did a face first landing.

Ouch. Off to see the Doc. I think I broke my jaw...
                    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Nope the ex killed the romance bit and as far as mystery, well I'll let you wonder...

I just did a old man maneuver, tripped on a concrete pad and did a face first landing.

He'll just draw two graphs and tell you to call him in the morning.
                      Hyperwar, Whats New
                      World War II Resources

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
                        Got a bigger one?
                        I do, but the forum rules forbid me to describe it.

Comment

If you really broke your jaw you wouldn't be typing posts on this forum before going to the hospital.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            If you really broke your jaw you wouldn't be typing posts on this forum before going to the hospital.
                            Actually I was hoping that it wasn't and so I just iced it first. Didn't go to the hospital anyway. Just saw the Doc today and now I'm headed for x-rays tomorrow. There's not much they can do about it. Why go to the ER when you'll live...

Meh I've had worse before. I think its a hairline fracture, its still swollen so the Doc wants me to get it checked out... But I'll survive it, like I said I've gotten way more painful stuff in the dojo...
                            Credo quia absurdum.

Comment

Wow! Talk about staying on topic...

The "trick" of seeing these galaxies is that radio waves at the "right" frequencies can penetrate the DUST that obscures our view of objects on the other side of the galaxy. This dust absorbs visible light (hence the black areas in a galaxy) and infrared, in particular.

The 21 cm line (1.42 GHz) is particular to protons (monatomic Hydrogen) which dominates the signature of galaxies. (Same Hydrogen that makes the Sun/Sol and Stars).

I was most impressed by the fact that the OLD, Parkes radio telescope can improve it's performance by a factor of 13x by putting on modern "front-end" (receiver) electronics.

This is because of the MB20 multifeed system. Very interesting!
                              http://www.parkes.atnf.csiro.au/cgi-...i/wiki.pl?MB20

These are the rest of the Parkes receivers. I'm impressed with their versatility, it shows they have kept up with the technology over the decades.
                              http://www.parkes.atnf.csiro.au/obse.../pks_ug_3.html
                              Battles are dangerous affairs... Wang Hsi

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X