Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More bad news for the Gorebots: Greenland ice sheet not collapsing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ozjohn39
    replied
    Doc,

90% of Greenland is thick ice, and i would expect that over time it would average out over all the ice sheet.

AFAIK, only the edges would be subject to annual warming and melting and refreezing.

I read years ago that the Earths surface under all that ice is actually depressed downwards and if it all melted it would create a HUGE lake.

Leave a comment:

• The Doctor
    replied
    Originally posted by ozjohn39 View Post
    'GLACIER GIRL'

A P38 that landed on the Greenland Ice cap in I think 1944.

Stayed there for 50 years until an enterprising bunch went back to get it. It was 300 FEET down in the ice cap that had formed ABOVE the plane. Compressed snow becoming ice in due course!

That tells me that the Greenland Ice cap is GROWING, and has been for at least 75 years now. The ice cap has a max depth of about 11,000 feet, and an average of about 7000 feet.

GWiBS.
    It's always growing in the middle.

Leave a comment:

• ozjohn39
    replied
    'GLACIER GIRL'

A P38 that landed on the Greenland Ice cap in I think 1944.

Stayed there for 50 years until an enterprising bunch went back to get it. It was 300 FEET down in the ice cap that had formed ABOVE the plane. Compressed snow becoming ice in due course!

That tells me that the Greenland Ice cap is GROWING, and has been for at least 75 years now. The ice cap has a max depth of about 11,000 feet, and an average of about 7000 feet.

GWiBS.
    Last edited by ozjohn39; 06 Feb 16, 15:19.

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
    We really do need to rethink the grant process. Many people object to what they see as frivolous research but that is not the real problem. In fact the opposite is kind of true in that we fund "promising" research not the controversial. I'm not suggesting we throw money away but consensus science has it's own shortcomings.
    Biggest shortcoming being that science isn't based on consensus. Politics might be at times, but science is based on evidence and data.

I'd wager if there was no funding for so-called research into ACC/AGW, it's support among "scientists" would shrink proportionally.

Leave a comment:

• Pirate-Drakk
    replied
    Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
    "This was 11th warmest Greenland summer out of 37 years of data."
    So we have 37 years of "good" data for Greenland, out of 5 billion years of climate change. Our data is in the "noise" of the long term variations. Don't jump to conclusions...

Love the spoiler!

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post

The base of the ice sheet is labeled "bedrock."
    Note: the Vertical Scale in the picture is magnified by 75X so you can see the tiny differnce!

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
    Don't make me post a bunch of bullshit charts and scifi babble.

Leave a comment:

• wolfhnd
    replied
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    Actually, I would settle for the average mean temperatures in central Texas for March, 1618. The actual temperatures, not just some grant slug's best guess.

Because that's about ten minutes ago in terms of climate cycles, and if you can't tell me the temp ten minutes ago, why should I believe you can predict it?
    We really do need to rethink the grant process. Many people object to what they see as frivolous research but that is not the real problem. In fact the opposite is kind of true in that we fund "promising" research not the controversial. I'm not suggesting we throw money away but consensus science has it's own shortcomings.

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Actually, I would settle for the average mean temperatures in central Texas for March, 1618. The actual temperatures, not just some grant slug's best guess.

Because that's about ten minutes ago in terms of climate cycles, and if you can't tell me the temp ten minutes ago, why should I believe you can predict it?

Leave a comment:

• OpanaPointer
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Me too, soon as I dig out from the latest snow storm.

Leave a comment:

• The Doctor
    replied
    Somebody is confusing weather with climate.

This is called "summer"...

The gray area equals two standard deviations, also known as natural variability.

Greenland actually has a summer. NSIDC calls Greenland's summer "melt extent" ...
    Melt extent in Greenland was above average in 2015, ranking 11th highest in the 37 year record from satellite data. Overall, climate patterns favored intense melting in the north and northwestern parts of the ice sheet, and relatively cool conditions in the southeast.

This was 11th warmest Greenland summer out of 37 years of data. 95% of the Greenland ice sheet didn't participate in summer...
    Greenlandís 2015 melt extent area total was approximately 85,000 square kilometers...

The Greenland ice sheet covers 1,700,000 square kilometers... 85,000 is 5% of 1,700,000.

The surface melt only affects ~5% of the surface area down to a depth of a few centimeters. Most of the summer surface melt refreezes in winter. This is why all of the net ice loss of the 20th century would fit inside the red line at the top of this cross section...

The base of the ice sheet is labeled "bedrock." 99.7% (by volume) of the Greenland ice sheet has never participated in Greenland's balmy summers.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Whew! There for a minute I thought some scientists had an opinion on this. But if it's just Al, well hell, son, I'm gonna get me some sunscreen stock.

Me too, soon as I dig out from the latest snow storm.

Leave a comment:

• Nick the Noodle
    replied
    http://nsidc.org/greenland-today/

The 2015 total summer melt extent area (the sum of the area of surface melt for each day for June, July, and August) was the 11th largest in the period 1978 to 2015. While higher than the 37-year average, 2015 was fairly typical for the past decadeís summers in Greenland. Comparing the seasonal progression of the four most recent years, the recent tendency for greater-than-average melt extent is apparent. This plot also shows the rapid increase in total melt area seen in July, increasing at a rate similar to the record melt year 2012. Greenlandís 2015 melt extent area total was approximately 85,000 square kilometers (32,800 square miles) above the 1981 to 2010 average.

http://nsidc.org/greenland-today/fil..._Mote_Fig3.png
    https://www.skepticalscience.com/gre...aining-ice.htm

Artic Report Card Update for 2015
    http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/reportcar...ice_sheet.html

Leave a comment:

• OpanaPointer
    replied
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    Al Gore says we're already dead. He can't be wrong.
    Whew! There for a minute I thought some scientists had an opinion on this. But if it's just Al, well hell, son, I'm gonna get me some sunscreen stock.

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Al Gore says we're already dead. He can't be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• OpanaPointer
    replied
    "Today's Gotcha News is brought to you Exxon and the Plastics Counsel of China."

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X