• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striking views of our Solar System

Some nice pictures here.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35292518
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Agreed, I was going to post Fog on Mars before the last outage cut me off. Wonder if we'll ever get anything much from Venus. If there was a way to loose about 90+ % of the atmosphere its got enough solar energy and gravity to be a viable settlement.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
      Agreed, I was going to post Fog on Mars before the last outage cut me off. Wonder if we'll ever get anything much from Venus. If there was a way to loose about 90+ % of the atmosphere its got enough solar energy and gravity to be a viable settlement.
      Yeah that fog on Mars photo is really cool. The dust storm one seems to indicate that solar power wouldn't work well there... (The panels would be sand blasted and covered by the dust...)
      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Excellent images, Bwaha.

I would imagine that a wind turbine system would work a lot better than a solar system on Mars.

Comment

Such great pictures of Mars and they still haven't imaged The Face?
          Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
          Hyperwar, Whats New
          World War II Resources
          The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
            Yeah that fog on Mars photo is really cool. The dust storm one seems to indicate that solar power wouldn't work well there... (The panels would be sand blasted and covered by the dust...)
            The rovers seem to be managing
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Excellent images, Bwaha.

I would imagine that a wind turbine system would work a lot better than a solar system on Mars.
              So thin an atmosphere that they would have to be enormous, there is just no energy in those winds.

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                Maybe they'll take a broom with them when they go to Mars.
                Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                Hyperwar, Whats New
                World War II Resources
                The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
                  Such great pictures of Mars and they still haven't imaged The Face?
                  It's a natural rock formation, imaged years ago. For a better one, go Google Earth and check out the Indian face in profile with full headdress in the Canadian Badlands.

Besides, your government decided back in '47 that "you can't handle the truth!"

Comment

The Uranus image was very interesting, so is that planet;
                    ... Like the other giant planets, Uranus has a ring system, a magnetosphere, and numerous moons. The Uranian system has a unique configuration among those of the planets because its axis of rotation is tilted sideways, nearly into the plane of its revolution about the Sun. Its north and south poles therefore lie where most other planets have their equators.[15] In 1986, images from Voyager 2 showed Uranus as an almost featureless planet in visible light, without the cloud bands or storms associated with the other giant planets.[15] Observations from Earth have shown seasonal change and increased weather activity as Uranus approached its equinox in 2007. Wind speeds can reach 250 metres per second (900 km/h, 560 mph).[16]
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranus

Rather interesting event sometime in the past to tilt a planet this large onto its side!?
                    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
                    “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
                    Present Current Events are the Future's History

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X