Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"IT" all started 25 years ago ...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "IT" all started 25 years ago ...

    The first website went online 25 years ago today

    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techno...fMr?li=BBnb7Kz
    EXCERPT:
    If the web were a person, it wouldn't have trouble renting a car from now on: the world's first website, Tim Berners-Lee's World Wide Web, went online 25 years ago today. The inaugural page wasn't truly public when it went live at CERN on December 20th, 1990 (that wouldn't happen until August 1991), and it wasn't much more than an explanation of how the hypertext-based project worked. However, it's safe to say that this plain page laid the groundwork for much of the internet as you know it -- even now, you probably know one or two people who still think the web is the internet.
    ....
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
    Present Current Events are the Future's History

  • #2
    I was using the Internet well before the WWW came along - it was very tedious. However whilst the WWW's navigational facilities were very welcome some of us found the early web pages a retrograde step as much work had been going on into developing the use of object orientated code systems as a means of providing interactive pages and hyper text took a long time to provide such capabilities. I had developed a consultants' took kit using an OOC system that my company used on its own Internet sites and it had to be redeveloped in HTML which meant dropping a lot of facilities.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

    Comment


    • #3
      As someone whose first intro to computers was typing out my own COBOL program at the keypunch, stack of 80 column~hole cards, I appreciate the improvements since then.
      TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
      “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
      Present Current Events are the Future's History

      Comment


      • #4
        Are you trying to make us feel old :-)
        We hunt the hunters

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
          As someone whose first intro to computers was typing out my own COBOL program at the keypunch, stack of 80 column~hole cards, I appreciate the improvements since then.
          Should have tried ALGOL and FORTRAN on punch tape. At the risk of being like an IT version of MP's Yorkshiremen sketch - I once wrote a spec for a program to take carpet patterns and produce instructions for punching Jacquard Loom cards (as used by Chas Babbage and Ada Lovelace) - COBOL - Luxury
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MarkV View Post
            Should have tried ALGOL and FORTRAN on punch tape. At the risk of being like an IT version of MP's Yorkshiremen sketch - I once wrote a spec for a program to take carpet patterns and produce instructions for punching Jacquard Loom cards (as used by Chas Babbage and Ada Lovelace) - COBOL - Luxury
            This was in the classes taken at my local Community College, computer programmer courses, and the tech available there, in the early 1970s was an IBM 360 and keypunch card decks for our programs. I recall FORTRAN was part of the languages taught, along with RPG(?). We turned in our decks to the techs whom ran the computer and it's possible the card reader put our programs on magnetic tape. We got print-outs to study and see if they program worked, what needed debugging, etc.

            Way back and long ago ...
            TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
            “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
            Present Current Events are the Future's History

            Comment


            • #7
              Meanwhile ...
              Millions to lose secure Internet access on Jan. 1

              Internet surfers may take that little green or gold lock in the corner of their Web browser for granted. But starting Jan. 1, it might go away for a small percentage of people across the globe, and millions of users could lose access to websites because of it.

              It's all to do with the "SHA-1 Sunset," a phrase used by technology insiders to describe the expiration of support for a certain level of encryption. Over the next year, the algorithms older than SHA-1 level of encryption will no longer meet the trusted level of security for many websites, leaving as many as 37 million people unable to access them, according to research from Internet performance and security company CloudFlare.

              It's a routine update to a Web feature called the certificate signature hashing algorithm. But the change, decided by a consortium of vendors of Internet browser software, could disproportionately affect mobile devices in the developing world.
              ....
              http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...iia?li=BBnbfcL
              TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
              “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
              Present Current Events are the Future's History

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                This was in the classes taken at my local Community College, computer programmer courses, and the tech available there, in the early 1970s was an IBM 360 and keypunch card decks for our programs. I recall FORTRAN was part of the languages taught, along with RPG(?). We turned in our decks to the techs whom ran the computer and it's possible the card reader put our programs on magnetic tape. We got print-outs to study and see if they program worked, what needed debugging, etc.

                Way back and long ago ...
                Not that long ago RPG2 was already obsolete then. Your COBOL program went into a compiler which produced that print out. I worked on the first IBM 360 installed in a commercial site in the UK (Rolls Royce Derby). We actually had more computer power than NASA used on the moon landing - less than any smart phone has today
                Last edited by MarkV; 23 Dec 15, 14:33.
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                Comment

                Latest Topics

                Collapse

                Working...
                X