• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BobTheBarbarian View Post
    Apologies...
    <snip>
    Cheers,
    -Bob.
    Unless you feel the need to really get an issue off your chest, don't bother replying.

The Docs MO is pretty straightforward.
    Post over complicated opinions, and if you don't understand them, you are obviously thick as poo as far as he and his posse is concerned.

If he really wanted to illuminate the issue from a scientific point of view, he would use less politically motivated jargon. He would certainly be less offensive.

His MO is that his political party is clever and the opposition is moronic.

The Republicans have never won on smart. They win on being American, eg Ronald Reagan. Ronald Reagan would not understand The Doc's
    posts. However, he would understand how to win.

Ronald Reagan and The Doc are polls apart.
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• If you scroll down really fast the screen goes kinda paisley.
      Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
      Hyperwar, Whats New
      World War II Resources
      The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

• Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
        If you scroll down really fast the screen goes kinda paisley.
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

• Aw shucks, t'weren't nuthin' atall.
          Hyperwar, Whats New
          World War II Resources

Comment

Aw shucks, t'weren't nuthin' atall.
            You misspelled atoll...
            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
              You misspelled atoll...
              Trust me, you don't want to see me in a Bikini.
              Hyperwar, Whats New
              World War II Resources

Comment

If you scroll down really fast the screen goes kinda paisley.
                Hilarious!
                Battles are dangerous affairs... Wang Hsi

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                  Unless you feel the need to really get an issue off your chest, don't bother replying.
                  What? I believe in politeness. It's how I was raised.

I at least have to post the second part of the response I mentioned earlier. The problem with this thread for me is simply time. It's obvious that the Doc has already done years of research, and prepared these presentations long beforehand to address various points that opponents might happen to bring up. In my case, on the other hand, having never debated this issue over the internet before, I have no pre-existing posts, articles, spreadsheets, calculations, etc. to simply copy and paste, so I must come up with them from scratch.

This is why it takes me so long to reply in detail to this thread: combined with my external obligations, it is unimaginably time-consuming to consolidate various sources, charts, and graphs into a single coherent post. I can refute the arguments leveled against me, but it just takes time, which I often don't have (hence the reason I only joined ACG in January).

You all might laugh at me about my 'politeness' statement, but I really take it to heart: you won't see me post anything on here that I wouldn't say in public.
                  Divine Mercy Sunday: 4/21/2020 (https://www.thedivinemercy.org/message) The Miracle of Lanciano: Jesus' Real Presence (https://web.archive.org/web/20060831...fcontents.html)

Comment

• Originally posted by BobTheBarbarian View Post
                    What? I believe in politeness. It's how I was raised.

I at least have to post the second part of the response I mentioned earlier. The problem with this thread for me is simply time. It's obvious that the Doc has already done years of research, and prepared these presentations long beforehand to address various points that opponents might happen to bring up. In my case, on the other hand, having never debated this issue over the internet before, I have no pre-existing posts, articles, spreadsheets, calculations, etc. to simply copy and paste, so I must come up with them from scratch.

This is why it takes me so long to reply in detail to this thread: combined with my external obligations, it is unimaginably time-consuming to consolidate various sources, charts, and graphs into a single coherent post. I can refute the arguments leveled against me, but it just takes time, which I often don't have (hence the reason I only joined ACG in January).

You all might laugh at me about my 'politeness' statement, but I really take it to heart: you won't see me post anything on here that I wouldn't say in public.

Comment

Post over complicated opinions, and if you don't understand them, you are obviously thick as poo as far as he and his posse is concerned.

If he really wanted to illuminate the issue from a scientific point of view, he would use less politically motivated jargon. He would certainly be less offensive.

The Republicans have never won on smart. They win on being American, eg Ronald Reagan. Ronald Reagan would not understand The Doc's

Interesting, Nick.
                      I find that the Doc can be introduced to new ideas, but you have to use some of the techniques that Plato describes Socrates as using on a befuddled young Glaucon.

If you try to introduce too many links, too rapidly, he reverts to "GIBBERISH' GREAT FRACKING GRIEF!!! AND . ERR WORSE.
                      The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

• Originally posted by marktwain View Post
                        Interesting, Nick.
                        I find that the Doc can be introduced to new ideas, but you have to use some of the techniques that Plato describes Socrates as using on a befuddled young Glaucon.

If you try to introduce too many links, too rapidly, he reverts to "GIBBERISH' GREAT FRACKING GRIEF!!! AND . ERR WORSE.
                        Thanks, you reminded be about something.

Comment

You clearly know less about Ronald Reagan than you do about science...

I have flown twice over Mount St. Helens out on our West Coast. I'm not a scientist and I don't know the figures, but I have a suspicion that that one little mountain has probably released more sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere of the world than has been released in the last ten years of automobile driving or things of that kind that people are so concerned about.
                          — Ronald Reagan. Address in Steubenville, Ohio (7 Oct 1980)

Trees cause more pollution than automobiles do.
                          — Ronald Reagan. As quoted by Martin Schram, 'Nation's Longest Campaign Comes to an End,' Washington Post (4 Nov 1980)

I think, too, that we've got to recognize that where the preservation of a natural resource like the redwoods is concerned, that there is a common sense limit. I mean, if you've looked at a hundred thousand acres or so of trees—you know, a tree is a tree, how many more do you need to look at?
                          — Ronald Reagan. Speech while candidate for governor of California, to the Western Wood Products Association, San Francisco (12 Mar 1966).

http://www.todayinsci.com/R/Reagan_R...Quotations.htm

Comment

• One thing ACC/AGW is "good" for ...
                            Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber, fiancee provide new green energy scandal for Democrats
                            Controversy creates new questions for billionaire environmental activist Tom Steyer

EXCERPTS;
                            What do you get when you mix a governor, his ambitious fiancee, a billionaire environmentalist and some handsome green energy consulting contracts? In Oregon, they have collided to produce an influence-peddling scandal that threatens to end Gov. John Kitzhaber’s tenure.

Mr. Kitzhaber, a Democrat, faced increasing pressure Thursday within his own party to resign over accusations that his fiancee sought to use her relationship with the governor to land lucrative consulting contracts for her green energy consulting business.
                            Oregon’s controversy has created new questions for billionaire environmental activist Tom Steyer, a major Democratic supporter and bundler for Mr. Obama. It also has renewed questions about whether the nation’s embrace of clean energy has become a lobbying bonanza that enriched some well-heeled Democrats.

Oregon’s scandal centers around the governor’s fiancee, Cylvia Hayes, who has been acting first lady as she awaits her wedding to Mr. Kitzhaber.

While serving as an unpaid policy adviser for the governor’s office, Ms. Hayes collected $118,000 in fellowship and consulting fees from the Clean Economy Development Center, a Washington-based nonprofit, for work on low-carbon fuel standard legislation in Oregon.
                            http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...via-hayes-pro/
                            TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
                            “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
                            Present Current Events are the Future's History

Comment

• Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                              You clearly know less about Ronald Reagan than you do about science...

I have flown twice over Mount St. Helens out on our West Coast. I'm not a scientist and I don't know the figures, but I have a suspicion that that one little mountain has probably released more sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere of the world than has been released in the last ten years of automobile driving or things of that kind that people are so concerned about.
                              — Ronald Reagan. Address in Steubenville, Ohio (7 Oct 1980)

Trees cause more pollution than automobiles do.
                              — Ronald Reagan. As quoted by Martin Schram, 'Nation's Longest Campaign Comes to an End,' Washington Post (4 Nov 1980)

I think, too, that we've got to recognize that where the preservation of a natural resource like the redwoods is concerned, that there is a common sense limit. I mean, if you've looked at a hundred thousand acres or so of trees—you know, a tree is a tree, how many more do you need to look at?
                              — Ronald Reagan. Speech while candidate for governor of California, to the Western Wood Products Association, San Francisco (12 Mar 1966).

http://www.todayinsci.com/R/Reagan_R...Quotations.htm

You do know that I'm a self employed, take no money from the state, am ex army, and a politically right of centre guy? I'm also straight, married and have kids I raise and take to church every Sunday. Not very, what you might say, liberal type of person.

I used to be Green at university, because right wing dudes never got laid unless they were rich.

I believe in a character behind King Arthur, which might make me more than gullible.

I should be the perfect minion to follow your POV.

I'm still waiting to be converted. Try honey rather than vinegar.
                              How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

You do know that I'm a self employed, take no money from the state, am ex army, and a politically right of centre guy? I'm also straight, married and have kids I raise and take to church every Sunday. Not very, what you might say, liberal type of person.

I used to be Green at university, because right wing dudes never got laid unless they were rich.

I believe in a character behind King Arthur, which might make me more than gullible.

I should be the perfect minion to follow your POV.

I'm still waiting to be converted. Try honey rather than vinegar.
                                Nick, my friend, I don't need to convert you... life is converting you...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X