What did Curiosity find?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did Curiosity find?

NASA's Mars rover Curiosity has apparently made a discovery "for the history books," but we'll have to wait a few weeks to learn what the new Red Planet find may be, media reports suggest.
    The discovery was made by Curiosity's Sample Analysis at Mars instrument, NPR reported today (Nov. 20). SAM is the rover's onboard chemistry lab, and it's capable of identifying organic compounds — the carbon-containing building blocks of life as we know it.

SAM apparently spotted something interesting in a soil sample Curiosity's huge robotic arm delivered to the instrument recently.

http://www.space.com/18565-mars-rove...y-mystery.html

Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

They must have found a "bug"!

Hopefully it's not just in their software...
    Battles are dangerous affairs... Wang Hsi

Comment

Jimmy Hoffa?
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I was joking about this the other day with someone, I forget who, some visitor I think. They were excited that a dead microbe or some such thing would have been found, I said that it'd actually be cool if they found something mad, like a giant obsidian pyramid. That'd be hilarious. Or maybe a princess?

http://static-l3.blogcritics.org/12/...20120307175956
        ------
        'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Curiosity found that it ran over a cat and killed it... get it?
          The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

Curiousity reported that it was being followed...
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Frtigern View Post
              Are you sure it's dead? The cat was in a box...
              Last edited by Pirate-Drakk; 30 Nov 12, 00:56.

Comment

Just a fossilized microbe would be wonderful.

It would open up such a vast range of possibilities.

Philip
                "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Frtigern View Post
                  If the cat was radioactive does it have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Since SAMI processes samples to test for organic molecules, the safe bet is that it found something with a high probability of being "organic" in origin.
                    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
                    “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz

Comment

I am seriously not happy to be posting this.

Well, this is pretty disappointing. Exactly one week ago, NASA got us really excited about a potential discovery on Mars that was going to be "one for the history books." Turns out, that a NASA employee from the Curiosity rover team was just really excited about the mission — and not one specific, universe-altering discovery.

More at: http://www.theatlanticwire.com/globa...ter-all/59372/
                      "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

Well that's ****ing gay, where's my god-damn Pyramid?
                        ------
                        'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Selous View Post
                          Well that's ****ing gay, where's my god-damn Pyramid?
                          The cat buried in it the sand.
                          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate-Drakk View Post
                            If the cat was radioactive does it have 18 half-lives?
                            +1 Lol...
                            Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
                              I am seriously not happy to be posting this.
                              Yeah, oh well... There's plenty of samples yet to take. I'm still hopeful...
                              Credo quia absurdum.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X