Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting Science videos

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Interesting Science videos

    From you tube - A lecture given by John Stilwell at the SETI Institute (SETI Talks), called "ET Math - How different could it be?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MV65...eature=related

  • #2
    Cryptography Primer and Tutorial

    Link to you tube video called Cryptography Primer and Tutorial

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijC2-JHz6Z4

    Comment


    • #3
      You tube video - A Google Tech Talk - Emmy Nöther and the Fabric of Reality - Talk by Physicist and author Ransom Stephens

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_MpQG2xXVo

      Comment


      • #4
        Links from a lecture on Möbius Bands Prof. by N. J. Wildberger of the University of New South Wales in 2010

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI89W...1&feature=plcp

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv_nr...feature=relmfu

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVwwh...feature=relmfu
        Last edited by lakechampainer; 29 Aug 12, 17:01.

        Comment


        • #5
          some you tube videos, 10 or 15 minutes long, briefly reviewing partial differential equations.

          Introduction
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYsIBqjQTdI

          Elliptic(Laplace Equation), Parabolic(Heat Equation), and Hyperbolic(Wave Equation) equations
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDPO-...feature=relmfu

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post
            From you tube - A lecture given by John Stilwell at the SETI Institute (SETI Talks), called "ET Math - How different could it be?

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MV65...eature=related
            Link isn't working.

            Very. Base 10 math is an accident. Humans have tried numerous other systems before, and they worked as well as our current base 10 system. And our American measurement system is base 12 - twelve inches per foot.

            Imagine an alien with six, eight or twelve digits per extremity pairing, or just more extremities. What base might they use for their math?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Link isn't working.

              Very. Base 10 math is an accident. Humans have tried numerous other systems before, and they worked as well as our current base 10 system. And our American measurement system is base 12 - twelve inches per foot.

              Imagine an alien with six, eight or twelve digits per extremity pairing, or just more extremities. What base might they use for their math?
              Welcome back sir - you have been missed!

              the link worked for me - but it has a weird display the first 20 or 30 seconds.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post
                Welcome back sir - you have been missed!

                the link worked for me - but it has a weird display the first 20 or 30 seconds.
                Thank you!

                Yeah...I got it to work. Good post. Good subject.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Not a video but a link to free courses from the MIT Openware Program.

                  http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    An interesting paper I found in one of the MIT Opencourseware courses - it discusses the limitations of PowerPoint in technical data - It specifically addresses the issue of the shuttle Columbia disaster (where the foam damaged the wing). One of the key findings was that all or most presentations "up the line" were done in PowerPoint where key information was done in lower levels. Also, the real analysis was provided in more "old-fashioned" reports, including concerns, but these were not communicated up the line.

                    Power Point Does Rocket Science - And Better Techniques For Technical Reports

                    http://www.edwardtufte.com/bboard/q-...&topic=Ask+E.T.

                    Comment

                    Latest Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X