Impact ~ NEO; Near Earth Objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
    Interesting theory there P-D. This link to a series of photos includes a couple of images taken from space, how would that fit your idea?
    http://www.space.com/19802-russian-m...st-photos.html

What if this meteor is more the stoney than metal time and we're seeing 'smoke' from minerals that are burning as it ran thru the atmosphere?
    Those photos are perfect for a ruse. They show nothing definitive.
    Battles are dangerous affairs... Wang Hsi

Comment

• I did wonder about the smoke but then I started thinking. Nearly 100% of the meteors photographed are the proverbial grains of dust/bits of gravel and are burning up at around 70-100 km altitude correct? So that would mean they have insufficient mass to produce a trail of vapor or smoke in the first place and in the vacuum at those heights, any trail they did leave would be nearly invisible from the ground and rapidly disperse.

Assuming this new strike was in fact a meteor, would a large chondrite that slowed to a suitable speed be able to leave a trail of dust as it disintegrated in the much denser lower atmosphere?
      Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pirate-Drakk View Post
        Asteroids are rock and metal, they DON'T burn.
        They do burn when passing through the atmosphere at high velocity.

Originally posted by Pirate-Drakk View Post
        The trail will be relatively smooth, especially at 30 km/s. If you watch the movies, it's hard to believe the thing is moving that fast. This number was plucked out of the air because this is the average impact velocity for actual meteors.
        Clearly, the meteor in the videos is not traveling at anything approaching that speed. I think you will find that speed is the speed at which the asteroid enters the Earth's atmosphere before being slowed down by the atmosphere. Not the speed at which it impacts the ground or explodes immediately prior to doing so.

Philip
        "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Bugger me! Here's another one!

From: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...191503601.html

Fireball Streaks Across Bay Area Sky
          Friday, Feb 15, 2013 | Updated 9:38 PM PST

On a day that had a lot of people talking about meteorites and asteroids, a fireball of some sort was seen streaking across the Bay Area skies. The fireball was seen around 7:45 p.m. There are reports into the newsroom from people as far north as Fairfield and as far south as Gilroy. It was also seen in Sacramento, Newark, Walnut Creek, and St. Helena.
          It was bluish in color and appeared to be heading straight to the ground, according to one viewer in Santa Clara.
          "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

• No offense, but is Pirate serious with his theory?
            The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
              No offense, but is Pirate serious with his theory?
              The odds of two asteroids from TWO DIFFERENT directions being in Earths proximity at the same time and one hitting us, is astronomically small. Your odds of flipping a coin and having it land on it's edge is far greater.

Compare these picks to the asteroid trail pics in my previous post.

Notice any similarities?

For comparison, here is space station Mir burning up on reentry. It was moving at less then 8 km/s when it hit the atmosphere.

Is this similarity between the smoke trails just another freak coincidence? The coincidental odds of two such coincidences makes the whole Russian asteroid scenario essentially impossible.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
                Bugger me! Here's another one!

From: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...191503601.html

Fireball Streaks Across Bay Area Sky
                Friday, Feb 15, 2013 | Updated 9:38 PM PST

On a day that had a lot of people talking about meteorites and asteroids, a fireball of some sort was seen streaking across the Bay Area skies. The fireball was seen around 7:45 p.m. There are reports into the newsroom from people as far north as Fairfield and as far south as Gilroy. It was also seen in Sacramento, Newark, Walnut Creek, and St. Helena.
                It was bluish in color and appeared to be heading straight to the ground, according to one viewer in Santa Clara.

I'm going out to see if I can find some fragments, they
                can sell for $1000 bucks per gram...
                Last edited by Bwaha; 17 Feb 13, 00:00.
                Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

• I wouldn't pick them up for ANYTHING. I might wind up like Jordy in Creepshow.
                  This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pirate-Drakk View Post
                    The odds of two asteroids from TWO DIFFERENT directions being in Earths proximity at the same time and one hitting us, is astronomically small. Your odds of flipping a coin and having it land on it's edge is far greater.

Compare these picks to the asteroid trail pics in my previous post.

Notice any similarities?

For comparison, here is space station Mir burning up on reentry. It was moving at less then 8 km/s when it hit the atmosphere.

Is this similarity between the smoke trails just another freak coincidence? The coincidental odds of two such coincidences makes the whole Russian asteroid scenario essentially impossible.
                    Ok, I see where you are coming from. But just because the odds are astronomical, doesn't mean it will ever happen. It is not impossible at all.

And there is no reason to search for the most complicated reason what the object might be. The simplest solution is often the right one.

To me, the asteroid trail pics and the trails from those aircraft look slightly similar. I don't see anything by the smallest of coincidences when comparing the different pics. They are picking up meteor fragments. Not man-made vehicular fragments.

Now, I'm not saying you're wrong with your opinion on what might have happened. Just to be clear.
                    The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

• Some of the clips I saw make it look like the trail was a single, then became a double, suggesting the object may have started to break-up before exploding.

Meanwhile;
                      NASA scrambles for better asteroid detection
                      http://www.france24.com/en/20130218-...roid-detection

Comment

• Clever Russians have gotten in the bolide business...

Which kinda disproves the missile idea...

It was a friggen rock.
                        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

• Three largest asteroid impacts of Earth, ever (somewhat subjective and arbitrary)
                          http://entertainment.msn.com/videopr...b-8849c64b90c8

Comment

• Russian meteorite: hunt for debris begins, but was it a comet?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...ragments-comet

Comment

• Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                              Clever Russians have gotten in the bolide business...

Which kinda disproves the missile idea...

It was a friggen rock.
                              Russian meteorite: hunt for debris begins, but was it a comet?
                              http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...ragments-comet

Well, now they are claiming it was a comet! You have to explain the lack of 10,000 tons of missing debris somehow. (That's the mass of a missile cruiser!)

The problem is, if it was an icy comet it would have had an obvious signature tail like other comets, and it would have been detected some significant time before the impact. We are actively looking for such things which is why we found the real asteroid that missed us, weeks ago.

The Russian bolide business should be pretty lucrative since they have dump trucks full of melted rocks at their nuclear test sites. Just like the pieces they dumped around the hole they sawed in the ice. It's been long enough that they shouldn't have much, if any, residual radioactivity.

One would expect the ice hole to be upturned at the edges like a crater and display both radial and concentric fracturing like a bullet hole in glass. Maybe a bit more splashed water and debris would have made the hole more believable. No asteroid chunk was found to explain the hole either. I guess 10% iron content isn't enough to trigger a metal detector because it's so similar to normal rocks.

Details, details...
                              Last edited by Pirate-Drakk; 20 Feb 13, 16:38.

Comment

• "The problem is, if it was an icy comet it would have had an obvious signature tail like other comets, and it would have been detected some significant time before the impact. We are actively looking for such things which is why we found the real asteroid that missed us, weeks ago."

A response... http://blogs.nasa.gov/cm/blog/Watch%...308690869.html

And as to the 'missing mass' the thing air-burst and scattered from how high???

And you know that radioactive slag is quite different from a meteor...

Come on buddy...
                                Credo quia absurdum.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X