No announcement yet.

Impact ~ NEO; Near Earth Objects

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Is NASA's New Plan to Detect and Destroy Asteroids Before They Hit Earth

EXCERPT:
    NASA has updated its plans to deflect potentially hazardous Earth-bound asteroids and none of them involve Bruce Willis.

The White House Office of Science and Technology Policy released a new report today (June 20) titled the "National Near-Earth Object Preparedness Strategy and Action Plan." The 18-page document outlines the steps that NASA and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will take over the next 10 years to both prevent dangerous asteroids from striking Earth and prepare the country for the potential consequences of such an event.

Officials with NASA, FEMA and the White House discussed the new asteroid-mitigation strategies in a teleconference with the media today. "An asteroid impact is one of the possible scenarios that we must be prepared for," Leviticus Lewis, chief of FEMA's National Response Coordination Branch, told reporters during the teleconference, adding that a catastrophic asteroid strike is "a low-probability but high-consequence event" for which "some degree of preparedness is necessary." [Related: How Trump's Space Force Would Help Protect Earth from Future Asteroid Threats]
    https://www.space.com/40943-nasa-ast...ense-plan.html
    Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses.
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

Comment

• How Trump's Space Force Would Help Protect Earth from Future Asteroid Threats
      If a military Space Force like the one proposed by President Donald Trump becomes a reality, odds are, it would play a role in defending Earth from an incoming asteroid.

In a report released today (June 20), NASA and other federal officials unveiled what the United States should do over the next 10 years to safeguard Earth from potential asteroid impacts. That 18-page plan, called the "The National Near-Earth Object Preparedness Strategy and Action Plan," would involve work from agencies across the federal government, White House officials said even, potentially, Trump's proposed Space Force.

"One of the things that should be clear from the report is that the responsibility for responding, and preparing response, is spread and shared throughout the U.S. government," Aaron Miles, of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, said in response to a question about a Space Force's role. "So everybody brings capabilities to the table One of the objectives of this plan is coordinating and leveraging those capabilities where they are across the government." [How to Defend Earth Against Asteroids]
      https://www.space.com/40949-trump-sp...d-defense.html
      Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

Comment

• A couple of related threads:

Trump wants to militarize space

US Space Force...

Comment

• Huge fireball lights up Russian skies
          More than five years after a large space rock slammed into the atmosphere over Russia, shattering thousands of windows in the city of Chelyabinsk below, another meteor exploded in the sky over the country last week, lighting up the early morning sky.

The fireball was captured on camera near the town of Lipetsk, between Moscow and the Ukrainian border. It glows bright for a second, leaving a trail of smoke that lingers for several minutes afterwards.

The impact of the meteor with Earth's atmosphere was picked up by US government sensors used to detect nuclear explosions, among other things. NASA estimates the resulting explosion packed a punch of about 2.8 kilotons, which pales compared with the 440 kiloton blast over Chelyabinsk in 2013, but is the most explosive asteroid entry measured so far in 2018.
          https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...7CF?li=BBnbcA1

Comment

• International Asteroid Day: Are we ready if an asteroid strikes Earth?
            Saturday is International Asteroid Day, commemorating the Earth's largest recorded asteroid impact while focusing on the real danger of asteroids that could collide with Earth.

In 1908, a powerful asteroid struck the Podkamennaya Tunguska River in a remote Siberian forest of Russia. The event leveled trees and destroyed forests across 770 square miles which is equal to the size of three quarters of the US state of Rhode Island. The impact threw people to the ground in a town 40 miles away.

Five years ago, an asteroid entered Earth's atmosphere over Chelyabinsk, Russia. It exploded in the air, releasing 20 to 30 times more energy than that of the first atomic bombs, generating brightness greater than the sun, exuding heat, damaging more than 7,000 buildings and injuring more than 1,000 people.
            https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/scien...wl4?li=BBnbcA1

Comment

• Mesmerizing video shows what would happen if an asteroid crashed into Earth's oceans
              In films like Armageddon, Hollywood has tried (and failed) to take on the question of what would happen if a comet or asteroid plunged into the oceans on Earth, but what has scientific research actually determined it may look like?

America's National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) has posted a new video illustrating what could happen if an asteroid crashed into one of our oceans, and it's fascinating.

Based on data collected by Los Alamos National Laboratory scientists Galen R. Gisler and John M. Patchett, referred to as the Deep Water Impact Ensemble Data Set, these simulations show asteroids of various sizes entering the water from different angles. It's the scale and size of the aftermath that's the truly stunning part.
              https://mashable.com/article/asteroi...e#nXK_3SUbekqy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X