X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hida Akechi
    replied
    Originally posted by Pirate-Drakk View Post
    The odds of two asteroids from TWO DIFFERENT directions being in Earths proximity at the same time and one hitting us, is astronomically small. Your odds of flipping a coin and having it land on it's edge is far greater.

Compare these picks to the asteroid trail pics in my previous post.

Notice any similarities?

For comparison, here is space station Mir burning up on reentry. It was moving at less then 8 km/s when it hit the atmosphere.

Is this similarity between the smoke trails just another freak coincidence? The coincidental odds of two such coincidences makes the whole Russian asteroid scenario essentially impossible.
    Ok, I see where you are coming from. But just because the odds are astronomical, doesn't mean it will ever happen. It is not impossible at all.

And there is no reason to search for the most complicated reason what the object might be. The simplest solution is often the right one.

To me, the asteroid trail pics and the trails from those aircraft look slightly similar. I don't see anything by the smallest of coincidences when comparing the different pics. They are picking up meteor fragments. Not man-made vehicular fragments.

Now, I'm not saying you're wrong with your opinion on what might have happened. Just to be clear.

Leave a comment:

• rebpreacher
    replied
    I wouldn't pick them up for ANYTHING. I might wind up like Jordy in Creepshow.

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
    Bugger me! Here's another one!

From: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...191503601.html

Fireball Streaks Across Bay Area Sky
    Friday, Feb 15, 2013 | Updated 9:38 PM PST

On a day that had a lot of people talking about meteorites and asteroids, a fireball of some sort was seen streaking across the Bay Area skies. The fireball was seen around 7:45 p.m. There are reports into the newsroom from people as far north as Fairfield and as far south as Gilroy. It was also seen in Sacramento, Newark, Walnut Creek, and St. Helena.
    It was bluish in color and appeared to be heading straight to the ground, according to one viewer in Santa Clara.

I'm going out to see if I can find some fragments, they
    can sell for $1000 bucks per gram...
    Last edited by Bwaha; 16 Feb 13, 23:00.

Leave a comment:

• Pirate-Drakk
    replied
    Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
    No offense, but is Pirate serious with his theory?
    The odds of two asteroids from TWO DIFFERENT directions being in Earths proximity at the same time and one hitting us, is astronomically small. Your odds of flipping a coin and having it land on it's edge is far greater.

Compare these picks to the asteroid trail pics in my previous post.

Notice any similarities?

For comparison, here is space station Mir burning up on reentry. It was moving at less then 8 km/s when it hit the atmosphere.

Is this similarity between the smoke trails just another freak coincidence? The coincidental odds of two such coincidences makes the whole Russian asteroid scenario essentially impossible.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Hida Akechi
    replied
    No offense, but is Pirate serious with his theory?

Leave a comment:

• PhilipLaos
    replied
    Bugger me! Here's another one!

From: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...191503601.html

Fireball Streaks Across Bay Area Sky
    Friday, Feb 15, 2013 | Updated 9:38 PM PST

On a day that had a lot of people talking about meteorites and asteroids, a fireball of some sort was seen streaking across the Bay Area skies. The fireball was seen around 7:45 p.m. There are reports into the newsroom from people as far north as Fairfield and as far south as Gilroy. It was also seen in Sacramento, Newark, Walnut Creek, and St. Helena.
    It was bluish in color and appeared to be heading straight to the ground, according to one viewer in Santa Clara.

Leave a comment:

• PhilipLaos
    replied
    Asteroids are rock and metal, they DON'T burn.
    They do burn when passing through the atmosphere at high velocity.

The trail will be relatively smooth, especially at 30 km/s. If you watch the movies, it's hard to believe the thing is moving that fast. This number was plucked out of the air because this is the average impact velocity for actual meteors.
    Clearly, the meteor in the videos is not traveling at anything approaching that speed. I think you will find that speed is the speed at which the asteroid enters the Earth's atmosphere before being slowed down by the atmosphere. Not the speed at which it impacts the ground or explodes immediately prior to doing so.

Philip

Leave a comment:

• GCoyote
    replied
    I did wonder about the smoke but then I started thinking. Nearly 100% of the meteors photographed are the proverbial grains of dust/bits of gravel and are burning up at around 70-100 km altitude correct? So that would mean they have insufficient mass to produce a trail of vapor or smoke in the first place and in the vacuum at those heights, any trail they did leave would be nearly invisible from the ground and rapidly disperse.

Assuming this new strike was in fact a meteor, would a large chondrite that slowed to a suitable speed be able to leave a trail of dust as it disintegrated in the much denser lower atmosphere?

Leave a comment:

• Pirate-Drakk
    replied
    Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
    Interesting theory there P-D. This link to a series of photos includes a couple of images taken from space, how would that fit your idea?
    http://www.space.com/19802-russian-m...st-photos.html

What if this meteor is more the stoney than metal time and we're seeing 'smoke' from minerals that are burning as it ran thru the atmosphere?
    Those photos are perfect for a ruse. They show nothing definitive.

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    Archiving a link to the thread in "Russia" for future reference;
    http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=132726

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    Fairly good article on current state of NEO/PHA searches and tech;
    Why Didnt We Know the Russian Meteor Was Coming?

http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...break_anchor_2

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    Interesting theory there P-D. This link to a series of photos includes a couple of images taken from space, how would that fit your idea?
    http://www.space.com/19802-russian-m...st-photos.html

What if this meteor is more the stoney than metal time and we're seeing 'smoke' from minerals that are burning as it ran thru the atmosphere?

Leave a comment:

• Pirate-Drakk
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    The ultimate brilliant comment by NASA:

"The meteor strike was not caused by an asteroid."

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/...cientist-says/

No , Mr. Wizard.
    While this might surprise you, NASA is actually telling the truth.

This is NOT an Asteroid!

It's the Russian Government that is lying, if you can imagine. I have been following the story all day with some amusement. Although my heart goes out to those poor victims that were injured.

This looks like a rocket plane gone bad. The explosion was probably just the rocket fuel itself, perhaps with the requisite self destruct charge.

Take a look at the pictures, they tell the real story!

Notice the bright orange spots on the right side of the smoke trails. This is fuel still burning in the wake of the rocket plane or hypersonic cruise missile. This burning fuel is also the reason the smoke trails are so irregular. It is due to the same irregular fuel flow that probably cause the original problem.

Obviously this is two engines on fire leaving two trails of smoke.

Notice how the smoke trails are identical in size, shape, and bulbous morphology.

This last picture is where one of the engines stops producing smoke.

Asteroids are rock and metal, they DON'T burn. They leave a trail of ionized plasma in their wake. The trail will be relatively smooth, especially at 30 km/s. If you watch the movies, it's hard to believe the thing is moving that fast. This number was plucked out of the air because this is the average impact velocity for actual meteors.

For most people that don't know better and hope the news doesn't blatantly tell lies, here is what a REAL METEOR looks like as it breaks up in the atmosphere.

Also note that the object was moving in the wrong direction to be associated with the real meteor flying by, and that the Russians actually said it might be a missile from a belligerent country.

"Vladimir Zhirinovsky, a nationalist leader noted for his vehement statements, blamed the Americans.

Its not meteors falling. Its the test of a new weapon by the Americans, the RIA Novosti news agency quoted him as saying."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...4_story_2.html

Apparently he doesn't think it is an asteroid either. What info does he have that we don't?

This is clearly a cover up by the Ruskies to lay the blame of a 1000+ casualties on fate and "mother nature" rather than bad engineering and poor judgement on their part. How convenient there was a real asteroid nearby to distract everyone from the facts. What better excuse?

It shouldn't take an astrophysicist to realize what is really going on here.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pirate-Drakk; 15 Feb 13, 18:23.

Leave a comment:

• GCoyote
    replied
    Latest from Space.com. Same link I posted in the Russia section.

http://www.space.com/19822-russian-f...n-century.html

The object that caused the Russian fireball, which damaged hundreds of buildings and wounded perhaps 1,000 people in the Chelyabinsk region, was originally probably about 50 feet (15 meters) in diameter and weighed roughly 7,000 tons, said Peter Brown, director of the Center for Planetary Science and Exploration at the University of Western Ontario in Canada.
    Just as important:

Brown cautioned that data on the event is preliminary.

I fully expect revision of some of the numbers particularly the estimate of the yield, which could easily change by a factor of two upon more complete analysis and will likely change as the day progresses, Brown concluded.

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
    NASA;
    Not Actually Smart about Anything
    Now Actively Studying Aesthetics
    Needs A Serious Assignment
    Never A Straight Answer

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse