Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bwaha
    replied
    Well Drak, one of us is going to eat rook after this...

Thankfully no-one has died from crow poisoning...

Leave a comment:

• tigersqn
    replied
    Originally posted by Pirate-Drakk View Post
    1 kg is ~1/10,000,000th of the mass claimed to have entered the atmosphere.

So where is the missing 99.99999% of the asteroid? Abracadabra!

You do realize that with the heat of reentry, a good portion of it would have been vaporised right ?

In other words, there wouldn't be 10,000 Kg remaining of the meteor to hit the earth.

Leave a comment:

• Pirate-Drakk
    replied
    How foolish of me. The missing mass problem is solved. The asteroid was made of DARK MATTER!

The universe is supposedly full of this stuff so why shouldn't a chunk hit the Earth now and again. It probably happens all the time, especially in Russia...

Leave a comment:

• Pirate-Drakk
    replied
    Even if they were pieces of a real meteor, there is no proof they were associated with the object that exploded. They could have come from a museum and been planted there by the government. These pieces are tiny and all 53, I suspect, would weigh less then 1 kg. You could probably carry them all in your pocket. 1 kg is ~1/10,000,000th of the mass claimed to have entered the atmosphere.

From your link:
    “No, it definitely wasn’t a meteor. I don’t know what it was, but not that,” one local stated. “It was a stage for a missile. For sure!” another claimed.

Should one just ignore the eye witness accounts when they don't agree with government reports coming from Moscow?

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied
    http://rt.com/news/meteorite-lake-chebarkul-urals-432/

Come on...

Leave a comment:

• Pirate-Drakk
    replied
    Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
    "The problem is, if it was an icy comet it would have had an obvious signature tail like other comets, and it would have been detected some significant time before the impact. We are actively looking for such things which is why we found the real asteroid that missed us, weeks ago."

A response... http://blogs.nasa.gov/cm/blog/Watch%...308690869.html
    Your response is pertinent to an asteroid but not to a comet. The water in a comet sublimates in the sunlight and leaves a classic comets tail which is relatively easy to detect.

And as to the 'missing mass' the thing air-burst and scattered from how high???
    The Russians sent 20,000 rescue workers into the area and so far they have found essentially nothing. There should be chunks of melted rock and possibly craters lying about over 100 square mile area. Pieces and dust should be littering roads and parking lots. They should be lying on roof tops and on top of cars. Where is this missing debris? How can it only be a few small fragments near a hole in the ice?

The explosion can not atomize the entire rock unless you invoke yet another miracle.

And you know that radioactive slag is quite different from a meteor...

Come on buddy...
    The slag is not necessarily radioactive after 50 years or so. Activation of the materials in the rock are caused by the neutron flux from a nuke, not the gamma rays which produce most of the radiation. Melted rocks within a fireball radius will not all become highly radioactive. If this was the case, the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki would still be a waste land today. In fact, they rebuilt right on top of ground zero (decades ago).

The compositions of meteors vary wildly and are representative of the same materials that comprise the Earth and the rest of the planets. Even a scientist would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I don't live in a world of compounded miracles of coincidence and hand waving. I live in a world of factual scientific explanations. Hiding 10,000 tons of space rock is the task of a Magician working for the Russian Government, not Mother Nature.
    Last edited by Pirate-Drakk; 20 Feb 13, 18:25.

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    "The problem is, if it was an icy comet it would have had an obvious signature tail like other comets, and it would have been detected some significant time before the impact. We are actively looking for such things which is why we found the real asteroid that missed us, weeks ago."

Come on buddy...
    The key point from Bwaha's link, which would apply also for a small comet;

QUOTE:
    Even if we had been looking at the right spot and the right time, there is another problem -- the meteoroid would be in the daylit sky, and telescopes cannot see faint objects in the daytime.
    Simply put, the meteoroid was too small for the survey telescopes and came at us out of the Sun.

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied

Come on buddy...

Leave a comment:

• Pirate-Drakk
    replied
    Clever Russians have gotten in the bolide business...

Which kinda disproves the missile idea...

It was a friggen rock.
    Russian meteorite: hunt for debris begins, but was it a comet?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...ragments-comet

Well, now they are claiming it was a comet! You have to explain the lack of 10,000 tons of missing debris somehow. (That's the mass of a missile cruiser!)

The problem is, if it was an icy comet it would have had an obvious signature tail like other comets, and it would have been detected some significant time before the impact. We are actively looking for such things which is why we found the real asteroid that missed us, weeks ago.

The Russian bolide business should be pretty lucrative since they have dump trucks full of melted rocks at their nuclear test sites. Just like the pieces they dumped around the hole they sawed in the ice. It's been long enough that they shouldn't have much, if any, residual radioactivity.

One would expect the ice hole to be upturned at the edges like a crater and display both radial and concentric fracturing like a bullet hole in glass. Maybe a bit more splashed water and debris would have made the hole more believable. No asteroid chunk was found to explain the hole either. I guess 10% iron content isn't enough to trigger a metal detector because it's so similar to normal rocks.

Details, details...
    Last edited by Pirate-Drakk; 20 Feb 13, 16:38.

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    Russian meteorite: hunt for debris begins, but was it a comet?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...ragments-comet

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    Three largest asteroid impacts of Earth, ever (somewhat subjective and arbitrary)
    http://entertainment.msn.com/videopr...b-8849c64b90c8

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied
    Clever Russians have gotten in the bolide business...

Which kinda disproves the missile idea...

It was a friggen rock.

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    Some of the clips I saw make it look like the trail was a single, then became a double, suggesting the object may have started to break-up before exploding.

Meanwhile;
    NASA scrambles for better asteroid detection
    http://www.france24.com/en/20130218-...roid-detection

Leave a comment:

• Hida Akechi
    replied
    The odds of two asteroids from TWO DIFFERENT directions being in Earths proximity at the same time and one hitting us, is astronomically small. Your odds of flipping a coin and having it land on it's edge is far greater.

Compare these picks to the asteroid trail pics in my previous post.

Notice any similarities?

For comparison, here is space station Mir burning up on reentry. It was moving at less then 8 km/s when it hit the atmosphere.

Is this similarity between the smoke trails just another freak coincidence? The coincidental odds of two such coincidences makes the whole Russian asteroid scenario essentially impossible.
    Ok, I see where you are coming from. But just because the odds are astronomical, doesn't mean it will ever happen. It is not impossible at all.

And there is no reason to search for the most complicated reason what the object might be. The simplest solution is often the right one.

To me, the asteroid trail pics and the trails from those aircraft look slightly similar. I don't see anything by the smallest of coincidences when comparing the different pics. They are picking up meteor fragments. Not man-made vehicular fragments.

Now, I'm not saying you're wrong with your opinion on what might have happened. Just to be clear.

Leave a comment:

• rebpreacher
    replied
    I wouldn't pick them up for ANYTHING. I might wind up like Jordy in Creepshow.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X