I don't get it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't get it

In the last few years I've been bitten by the WWII bug, an area of interest from my youth that I had paid little attention until more recently. I heard of all these books out there that people were quoting from on forums like these and I started to try to get what I could, educate myself as best I could. I, of course ran in to the obstacle of out of print books costing much more than I could justify spending. I will occasionally spend what I consider too much on a book but I can't do this too often...but I want to read these books. I've recently opened my eyes to inter library loan and am optimistic that I will be able to get many of the books I wouldn't otherwise buy, but...I want them on my shelf for reference.

I remember in college libraries they told us it was illegal to use the photocopier for books (why was it there?) and the guy at the local copy store told me he would remind me the same (he didn't say he would kick me out.) Why is this illegal? The book has been purchased and the library loans it out constantly. The information is being shared many times over for the one purchase yet if I copy it I have committed a crime. Why? The crime is my copying the information in the book but not my reading the book without paying for it? If I download an out of print book off an internet site I am theoretically breaking the law but my only alternative is to buy the book from an out of print book source for some high price none of which the publisher and author will see. Clearly the download and OOP purchase have the same affect on the pocket of the author and publisher...none.

Can someone explain all this to me?
    John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Copyrights, pure & simple.

That is why you may only quote a brief portion here on the forums & then provide a link to the source or name of the author & material it was taken from such that others might see it for themselves.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Wes-

No disrespect to your stars, fruit salad and fancy title but that is not an answer to my question. Entertaining the notion that I might not have worded it correctly I want to know who is harmed, since most crimes have a clear victim. I was not asking what area of law it fell under.

Thanks though.
      John

Comment

Please to excuse me for stating an answer to your question, JBark. It had, nor has absolutely anthing to do with a title, a responsibility, fruit salad or anything else to do with me or this web-site what so-ever. For the sake of general forum discussion, I'm just another member of this community, like you, first & foremost.

It isn't just about money, mate. It is about ownership, authorship & preservational control of the actual creative, intellectual, artistic, scientific, material work itself - to include derivative works based specifically & entirely upon said original works for which copyrights are held.

If you write & illustrate a book for children with a distinct & very popular character of your own creation to teach children about cleanliness, pay for its publishing & distribution yourself, with no desire for any sort of monetary profit or notoriety, & seek that it be given free of charge to any & all individuals that would read it because you belive it will be of great benefit to children... then - without copyrights - any individual that so desires, for whatever ends, could take that very character & write anything they wish, to include even such things that are entirely unrelated or contrary to the purpose and/or desired intentions for the character which you created - such as how much fun a child can have playing with their own feces or a million other things.

Not only could such insidious things be done by Anonymous or even by any other name, but one could have the initial popularity used as a means to bastardize or steal any credit, or completely use its popularity to foment ideas or any other thing to which you would never support... not to mention the opposite... increase the likelihood that all blame for any uproar or other negative consequences are directed back upon the original creator.

That would be but one of a great many potentials in the absence of copyrights.

Consider the impact of no copyrights on just the scientific world under such similar possibilities.

Where would Batman be if the copyright holder did not have such control of the character over the years?

Just me opinion, nuff said by me on your question mate.

Cheers!

Last edited by Admiral; 15 May 11, 22:06.
        On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

I think a simple "I don't know" would have saved us both a little bit of time. As before, thanks.
          John

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X