Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service number question

Hi

Firstly, if this is in the wrong section i apologise, not quite sure what the logical choice was?

I am interested in what I believe to be an American service name tag (found in a garden), it carries the number 22795360 and the name T Lappin RC.

I think it might be an Army National Guard series number - if so, what state are the first 2 numbers from?

It was found in Germany - would a national guardsman have been posted to Germany?

Regards

SLancs

Originally posted by SLancs View Post
    Hi

Firstly, if this is in the wrong section i apologise, not quite sure what the logical choice was?

I am interested in what I believe to be an American service name tag (found in a garden), it carries the number 22795360 and the name T Lappin RC.

I think it might be an Army National Guard series number - if so, what state are the first 2 numbers from?

It was found in Germany - would a national guardsman have been posted to Germany?

Regards

SLancs
    National Guard goes every place. Why do you suspect the owner was National Guard?

It must be an old tag -- when I came in we used social security numbers, which have one more digit than that. If it's like SSNs, 227 is Maryland, I think (mine is 229, from Virginia).
    Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
    Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
    http://www.mormon.org
    http://www.sca.org
    http://www.scv.org/
    http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

I had a look on wiki and there is a detailed description of the service numbers - giving a breakdown of which state the person is from etc, but the 20 million series is virtually detail free!

There is also the chance this is a British National Servicemens tag - its circular - from the 1950's, and the number would also fall into that category, have a bit more enquiring to do yet.

Cheers

SLancs

Comment

I would lean towards it being British since US service tags, at least since WW2, are oval.
        If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Yep - my first question should've been 'what shape is.....'

Thanks for the help.

SLancs

Comment

Ran the number through the Electronic Serial Number on the National Archives website, World War II enlistment records. No such serial number popped up. No T. Lappin's matched up either, at least not with that number. RC? What would that stand for? My first thought was Royal Commandos, but I doubt the Brits would advertise that.

Comment

Originally posted by SLancs View Post
              Hi

Regards

SLancs
              227 would be a post war tag with a social security number from Virginia. WW2 tags never exceeded the 20,999,999 range.
              My worst jump story:
              My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
              As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
              No lie.

~
              "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                227 would be a post war tag with a social security number from Virginia. WW2 tags never exceeded the 20,999,999 range.
                SS numbers are nine digits.
                My worst jump story:
                No lie.

~
                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                  SS numbers are nine digits.
                  Yikes! But weren't those tattooed on the individual, near the right armpit?

Comment

Originally posted by Pyle's Heroes View Post
                    Yikes! But weren't those tattooed on the individual, near the right armpit?
                    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...5153226520276#
                    My worst jump story:
                    No lie.

~
                    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

I would say that the RC stood for Roman Catholic as British Dog Tags state the wearers religion-I believe originally for the correct battlefield burial services etc to be carried out.

Regards
                      "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
                      X