Statistics of German Rearmament from 1933-1945

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statistics of German Rearmament from 1933-1945

At the minute I'm reading Origins of the Second World War by AJP Taylor and he describes how German rearmament was greatly overestimated by Britain and France. I was wondering if someone could link me up with some statistics to validate this claim.

Thanks

Originally posted by darkwolf176 View Post
    At the minute I'm reading Origins of the Second World War by AJP Taylor and he describes how German rearmament was greatly overestimated by Britain and France. I was wondering if someone could link me up with some statistics to validate this claim.

Thanks
    Try "The Wages of Destruction" by Adam Tooze. He describes in depth the German arms build-up pre-WWII. I don´t think he has anything to say, or at least in the 339 pages I have read so far, on Anglo-French estimates.

Do you have Taylor´s very provocative and extremely stimulating interpretation with the 1963 foreword "Second Thoughts", or an earlier version? Whichever, Tooze´s take is diametrically opposed to Taylor´s.
    Last edited by GreenTiger; 14 Apr 10, 00:04.

Comment

Thanks I'll be sure to check that out!

I do have the version with second thoughts, how far do you agree with what Taylor says?

Comment

John Ellis' The World War Two Databook also has some good production and raw material figures for 39-45.
        If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by darkwolf176 View Post
          Thanks I'll be sure to check that out!

I do have the version with second thoughts, how far do you agree with what Taylor says?
          On the narrow question of rearmament stats, I´d have to go with Tooze - I´m no economist, but his analysis goes far deeper than Taylor´s, which seems to be based on one book. In defence of the latter; as he forecast it would, far more material has come to light in the fifty years since Taylor first challenged the generally accepted view on Hitler and his motives.

Few have written history in so lucid, unpretentious, and understandable a manner as AJP Taylor. Only to be expected perhaps from someone who held a goodly proportion of the nation spellbound as he delivered 30 minute history lectures, live to camera and without script, and was a regular columnist for the mass-circulation Sunday Express, highly unusual at the time (pre-Roberts, Fergusson et al) for a serious academic historian.

That said (which you probably knew anyway), I have to admit that, on his interpretation of WWII origins, I am still in the "undecided" camp. Just as with WWI causes and origins, the debate still rages hotly. Plenty of evidence of that around here.
          Last edited by GreenTiger; 16 Apr 10, 03:05. Reason: "that" for "this"

Comment

Originally posted by GreenTiger View Post
            Try "The Wages of Destruction" by Adam Tooze. He describes in depth the German arms build-up pre-WWII. I don´t think he has anything to say, or at least in the 339 pages I have read so far, on Anglo-French estimates.
            Here is the full text available online.
            http://www.scribd.com/doc/22644262/T...n-Nazi-Economy
            "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
            "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
            — Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X