100 Year Old Russian Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 Year Old Russian Photos

Interesting find of 100 year old photos of Russia. In color!

http://www.newsweek.com/id/214585
    http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/

Great stuff!
    History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
    _________
    BoRG

Thank you very much for this link to the LoC. the images are amazing!

Comment

Thanks Torien. For me it is always good to see something in color - When I read something I have a black and white picture in mind. I was surprised by how colorful the womens' clothes were. The land was also greener and friendlier looking than I would have thought, but then again I guess most of the pictures were taken in the summer.

Comment

Pretty remarkable for 1909, wen the first color photos anywhere else came out during the early part of WWII. This must have been around the time the Russians invented the automobile, the airplane and the telephone.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Pretty remarkable for 1909, wen the first color photos anywhere else came out during the early part of WWII. This must have been around the time the Russians invented the automobile, the airplane and the telephone.
          I found it hard to believe myself. But the second link is actually from the USA Library of Congress, and I don't think they would get it too wrong.
          History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
          _________
          BoRG

Comment

Making Color Images from Prokudin-Gorskii's Negatives

Comment

So he photographed them in color, but was not able to develop the film in color?

A neat link Boonie. I hadn't caught that page the first time I read this.
              _________
              BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post
                So he photographed them in color, but was not able to develop the film in color?

A neat link Boonie. I hadn't caught that page the first time I read this.
                If that were actually true, how did he know he had gotten the technique right? This isn't hanging together very well at all.

Comment

If that were actually true, how did he know he had gotten the technique right? This isn't hanging together very well at all.
                  It's actually there in the link. He used a "magic lantern" projector that had three lenses, one for each spectrum. They combined the image on a screen into the full color images that the Library of Congress had reproduced with the aid of digital computing.

Details here:
                  http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/gorskii.html

This: - Became this:

And although Newsweek just did the story recently, the LOC finished this project in 2003.

Thanks for eveyone's feedback. I'm glad others found this interesting.

_________
                  BoRG

Comment

Then he could develop colors? Or he couldn't? A magic lantern is useless unless he could develop colors, whether or not he used recombinant imaging.

Turner shows motion pictures in full color which were produced in black and white. Doesn't mean they were filmed in color.

Comment

Then he could develop colors? Or he couldn't? A magic lantern is useless unless he could develop colors, whether or not he used recombinant imaging.

Turner shows motion pictures in full color which were produced in black and white. Doesn't mean they were filmed in color.
                      The details in the link explain it better than I could. But it seems he developed each negative on a colored glass pane. Then the three panes, red, blue, green, were placed into the magic lantern projector and combined into a single focused projection on a screen. So the pictures were not developed in color in his lifetime. But many people saw the full color images on the screen when he traveled around and did presentations.

Magic lantern.
                      And this: - Becomes this:

The Library of Congress is not filling in colors on a black and white negative, like Turner did with the old films. The original was captured in true color and he just lacked the technology to reproduce it in a finished, printed form. You could only see it live with the special projector.

Regardless, it is neat to see 100 year old color photos. It adds a certain depth and realism to these photos that black and white never seems to convey.
                      _________
                      BoRG

Comment

Here is another neat one;

_________
                        BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X