WWII 1055 Engr Const/Repair Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWII 1055 Engr Const/Repair Group

My father-in-law was in this unit. He would never talk about where he was or what he did before passing. I have tried many sites to gather more info w/o success. I know there was a similar unit that served in the Pacific. Any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by bdecker View Post
    My father-in-law was in this unit. He would never talk about where he was or what he did before passing. I have tried many sites to gather more info w/o success. I know there was a similar unit that served in the Pacific. Any help would be appreciated.
    Shelby Stantonís book, World War II: Order of Battle, US Army, p. 519. gives the following information. Activated 1 April 1943 at Ft. Screven, GA. Left US from Camp Shanks, NY on 23 December and arrived in England on 29 December 1943. Landed in France on 14 June 1944. Group status was deleted on 2 January 1945. Returned to US via Boston on 10 July 1945, and inactivated at Ft. Belvoir on 3 June 1946.

Your fatherís unit was a Port Construction and Repair (PC&R) Group. The 1055th PC&R, along with several other engineer units, was involved in the reconstruction and rehabilitation of the badly damaged French port at Le Havre. Work began in early October 1944 with the 1055th and 1061st PC&R Groups responsible for the repair of the lock gates on the seaward side of the port. The two groups were also assigned additional jobs including the removal of underwater obstructions from basins and canals along with other specialized tasks. By 13 October, the first Liberty ships were being unloaded, and within two weeks, as work progressed, Le Havre was unloading an average of 3,650 tons per day. By the end of December 1944, the port was discharging over 9,500 tons per day.
    (Barry W. Fowle, gen. ed., Builders and Fighters: US Army Engineers in World War II, pp. 318, 321-322).

You may also consult Roland G. Ruppenthalís Logistical Support of the Armies, and the volumes on the Corps of Engineers. All are published by the US Army Center of Military History as part of the US Army in WWII Series. Some of these works may be online at http://www.history.army.mil/

I hope this helps.

LittleJoe

Comment

1055th & 1061st PC&R

Originally posted by bdecker View Post
      Saw your post while googling 1061st PC&R (as ref by Little Joe in his posting). My dad served in 1061st & I have a a copy of daily logs from time they left U.S. until their return (this unit served in France and in the Philippines). I will take a look at it and see if any references are made to 1055th. I know on some of the entries there are other units mentioned that they worked with.

I have many pictures (which look like they were taken by a real photographer) that show the work done in LeHavre and Rouen.

My dad's unit arrived in France via Omaha Beach the Sept. after D-Day. He did say they encountered a few German snipers in one town.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X