Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 London Horse Show

Hopefully, someone can help me out
    In 1911 there was an international horse show held in London in tandem with the coronation. There were teams from Britain, Russia, United States, France, Germany and others.
    I am trying to find photos of the horse show, specifically, pictures of the Russian team. Anyone have any idea what archives would be the best to approach?

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
    Hopefully, someone can help me out
    In 1911 there was an international horse show held in London in tandem with the coronation. There were teams from Britain, Russia, United States, France, Germany and others.
    I am trying to find photos of the horse show, specifically, pictures of the Russian team. Anyone have any idea what archives would be the best to approach?
    If this refers to the annual International Horse Show at Olympia then the 1911 show was opened by George V and Kaiser William and this was filmed by British Pathé. Their archives are searchable online.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Alexander Pavlovich Rodzyanko
      After successfully participating in London (1911), winning the King Eduard VII Cup[citation needed], he competed in the 5th-placed jumping team for Russia at the 1912 Olympic Games in Stockholm.[2] Most of the equestrian information about Rodzyanko was published by a Dutch horse magazine, called the 'Hoefslag' by the secretary of the FEI Max E. Amman.
      390px-Alexander_Rodzyanko_1912.jpg
      Alexander Rodzyanko at the 1912 Olympics
      Maybe you could look up 1912 Olympic games?

Looks like there are a lot of stuff in this Bit & Spur magazine.

Bit & Spur, Volume 11
      https://books.google.com/books/about...d=VhNLAQAAMAAJ

I did a screen shot of this picture
      Bit and Spur 1911.jpg

Comment

Hello Otto!

Thanks for the information.
        You have correctly deduced that I am interested in one member of the Russian team, although it is not Rodzyanko. The person I am interested in is Grigory Zakharchenko, who was a member of the Russian team in 1911, and later served as head of the Russian military mission to Persia. I am hoping that some British archive would have a record of the horse show as I am trying to find Zakharchenko's photograph - which is proving elusive. He went on to marry an infamous Russian counterrevolutionary terrorist who was murdered by the Soviet secret police in 1927.

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
          Hello Otto!

Thanks for the information.
          You have correctly deduced that I am interested in one member of the Russian team, although it is not Rodzyanko. The person I am interested in is Grigory Zakharchenko, who was a member of the Russian team in 1911, and later served as head of the Russian military mission to Persia. I am hoping that some British archive would have a record of the horse show as I am trying to find Zakharchenko's photograph - which is proving elusive. He went on to marry an infamous Russian counterrevolutionary terrorist who was murdered by the Soviet secret police in 1927.
          There was no parallel horse show with the 1911 coronation. The event you seem to be confused with was the London International Horse Show which was first held in 1907 and, apart from war years, has been held annually and still is today. It has its own archives
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

There was no parallel horse show with the 1911 coronation. The event you seem to be confused with was the London International Horse Show which was first held in 1907 and, apart from war years, has been held annually and still is today. It has its own archives
            Hello Mark,
            It is not a case of me being confused. I am going by the source that I have which is Russian, which states:
            Григорий Алексеевич был замечательным кавалеристом, о чём свидетельствует участие в 1902 году в международных конских состязаниях в Турине и в 1911 году в международных коронационных конских состязаниях в Англии.
            Grigory Alekseevich was a remarkable horseman, which is evidenced by his participation in the international horse competition in Turin in 1902 and the international coronation horse competition in England in 1911.

If you are saying the source is describing it incorrectly, then I will defer to you.
            Where would I find these archives?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X