Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jobs in the field of History

Hey ya'll,
    So I wasnt sure where exatly to put this post, but this looked my best bet. In early May I am graduating from college with a Bachelors degree in History and suprise suprise Im not sure what Im going to go with it yet So I was wondering besides teaching what other jobs you guys knew about in the field of history that would be worth looking into. So let me know what you think and besides great advice for me I figure it would make for good discussion too.

Thanks, DJ

Thanks for looking!!

I have a degree in Sociology w/a minor in History....

Good luck finding a job, bro.

I work a crappyish job in adult foster care. Very loosely related to my field of study, definitely not a career.

Not a lot of luck with applications anywhere else.
    Last edited by Emil_G; 10 Apr 08, 01:29.

Comment

Like psychology, I think it is one of those fields where you need a master's or doctor's degree to do anything but teach...at least in your field.

Don't alot of museums and battlefields usually employee historians?

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
        Like psychology, I think it is one of those fields where you need a master's or doctor's degree to do anything but teach...at least in your field.

Don't alot of museums and battlefields usually employee historians?
        Mostly they hire students at low wages.

For Historian I would it would somewhat depend on what your focus was.
        FoxNEWS "The World is unfair and we are running scared"

Comment

A little more thought about this. If your focus in History is more recent events the news media might have opportunities. There is also policy groups both governmental and corporate that might find your education useful. I suspect as history major you should be familiar with document research, so you could look for employment in the field.

I suspect there is more then just teaching.
          FoxNEWS "The World is unfair and we are running scared"

Comment

My concentration is in American History, although I did take alot of history courses on different parts of the world. My problem right now is finding that an entry level job in the field. The ones I have found require several years if not more experience...

Thanks for looking!!

Comment

I found history very useful for the career I had so far (and of course pure fun at times. As my professor said: history is the study of heart fire and port wine )

All jokes aside: in general the most successful of my colleagues are historians too, followed closely by Arabists and Sinologists.
              BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Here is some information for you:

http://www.library.csi.cuny.edu/dept...ry/career.html
                http://www.historians.org/pubs/Free/careers/Index.htm
                http://www.longwood.edu/history/career.htm

The biggest thing to remember though, it's a lot easier to find a job when you get up off your butt and go out to look for one. The internet is a great resource but thee us still nothing that beats the old face to face.

Something to keep in mind as well, unless you are looking for a truly specialized field, like engineering, what your degree is in does not matter all that much, however, contrary to popular belief your GPA does. I had at least one web site that specifcally stated in their electronic application that they would wave a certain requirement if my GPA was 3.2 or better; it was a government site BTW. I hope that this helps.
                Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

History is a good generalist degree. The skills are widely applicable. But to get a job doing history you usually need at least an MA. In the US, there are jobs in the private sector, literally as a contract historian, doing land-use research, usually under the regs pertaining to the National Historic Preservation Act. You might be able to land an entry-level position at one of those firms, but without the MA you won't advance far. But the experience would stand you in good stead if you decide to continue on for an MA.
                  Every 10 years a great man.
                  Who paid the bill?

Comment

First off...Where from? (I'm at State)

Is it Arts or Science for the Bachelors Degree? I am getting one in Science with Computer Science and am going to look into some sort of Archiving job.

You could go into Law or Journalism with a BS as well I think.

AC
                    "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
                    -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

Its a Bachelors of Arts in History from a small private university in Ohio... and I've been looking around at historical parks and such but most of the jobs I've seen require 3-5 years experience. Someone the other day suggested to me being a historical consultant for video games or working for something like Armchair General but jobs in both of those areas are hard to come by without experience not to mention there are just not many of them

Thanks for looking!!

Comment

haha "historical consultant for video games" sounds like one of those dream jobs, you probably need to know someone to even get an interview

Comment

Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
                          haha "historical consultant for video games" sounds like one of those dream jobs, you probably need to know someone to even get an interview
                          yeah thats what I said to, it would be awesome but nearly impossible to get into

Thanks for looking!!

Comment

I would seriously wonder if there is even 40 hours/wk worth of work in a job like that. I mean what do you do? Look at some drawings and say "This knight doesn't look right" ? Can't the artist just buy an Osprey Warrior book for $15.99 or something? Why pay another guy a salary? From how horribly historically inaccurate most video games are I would conclude that such a position is not very popular w/ game companies, and besides historical reality = reality = not fun for the hoi polloi video gamer.
                            Last edited by Emil_G; 15 Apr 08, 10:21.

Comment

Colonel Antal

Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
                              I would seriously wonder if there is even 40 hours/wk worth of work in a job like that. I mean what do you do? Look at some drawings and say "This knight doesn't look right" ? Can't the artist just buy an Osprey Warrior book for $15.99 or something? Why pay another guy a salary? From how horribly historically inaccurate most video games are I would conclude that such a position is not very popular w/ game companies, and besides historical reality = reality = not fun for the hoi polloi video gamer.
                              Take a look at John Antal. West Point, Ranger, Tanker, veteran combat leader at several levels, 30 years in, retired as G-3 for an Armored Corps.

He advised on the "Brothers in Arms" games, and it was approved by the History Channel. He took great lengths to teach the programming team about tactics, making them attend Feild Exercises to understand the moves they were programming. Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood" was also used in the War Sim Center at West Point, according the extras in the game (which are all great). It comes with AAR's on the fights you play in, to demonstrate what the historic link is, and the story is good too.

Oh, and he used to work for Armchair General...
                              "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Snowshoveler
                                Attack against Saudi Arabia
                                by Snowshoveler
                                Saudi Arabia’s oil infrastructure was attacked by around 10 armed drones by Yemens Houthi rebels and has caused SA to lose half their oil production....
                                Yesterday, 17:56
                              • hobo9
                                C-123B
                                by hobo9
                                Would anyone know the wheel and tire sizes (NLG & MLG) for the Fairchild C-123B Provider?
                                Thank you,
                                P.N....
                                Yesterday, 17:22
                              • Mountain Man
                                Here Comes The Gas Gouge!
                                by Mountain Man
                                Drone strike on Saudi oil fields...the perfect excuse for another round of gas price hikes. And I'll bet all that "excess capacity" just magically...
                                Yesterday, 16:30
                              Working...
                              X