Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Don't More Colleges Teach Military History?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain General View Post
    Kansas State University offers a full blown Military History program. The entities involved with the program are the Kansas State University Military History Institute, the Eisenhower Foundation, and the US Army Command and General Staff school located at Fort Leavenworth.

Here's the link:

http://www.k-state.edu/history/institute/Welcome.html
    I'm taking a Civil War course next term from a graduate of Kansas State... I picked her for her degrees, she's also got the only PhD in History on campus...

Leave a comment:

• Kirasjeri
    replied
    CUNY starting in the late Seventies had a Military History PhD program (which I was in) started by former Hungarian general Bela Kiraly who commanded the Freedom Fighters in 1956, after which he fled to Austria. Kiraly retired in May, 1982, a day after the Belgrano sunk.

Prof. David Syrett and Patrick Abbazia took it over. Syrett died several years ago. I do not know if it is still extant. Consult the CUNY History Dept.

Wildest class I ever had was on the contemporary warfare in the Middle East, and it was conducted by a hardcore right-wing Zionist professor (Alan Schulman), and it was filled with Israelis, Palestinians, and assorted political extremes. The people who hated each other the most were left-wing and right-wing Israeli Jews.
    Last edited by Kirasjeri; 30 Nov 08, 21:18.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisF1987
    replied
    Since I last posted in this thread my college (SUNY Suffolk/Suffolk County Community College) is going to offer some sort of military history class - 1 class for just 1 semester and if enough kids sign up to take it then they will make it permanent as part of the history department electives.

I dont know if it will just be general military history or a specific conflict or anything other then it will be listed in the catalog as an elective for Fall 2009.

Leave a comment:

• Captain General
    replied
    Kansas State University offers a full blown Military History program. The entities involved with the program are the Kansas State University Military History Institute, the Eisenhower Foundation, and the US Army Command and General Staff school located at Fort Leavenworth.

Here's the link:

http://www.k-state.edu/history/institute/Welcome.html

Leave a comment:

• holly6
    replied
    Originally posted by Slug View Post
    It's more for dudes, not chicks.
    Totally agree. Plus the entire concept of higher education has changed. The focus of creating a rounded education has changed to "how can this help me make money." And has been mentioned, at the cost today, it's hard to argue against the new mode.

Leave a comment:

• Slug
    replied
    Why Don't More Colleges Teach Military History?

It's more for dudes, not chicks.

Leave a comment:

• AdmiralDoenitz
    replied
    Off the top of my head, I can only list one University (University of North Texas) which offers a doctorate in Military History. The list of schools which offer B.A's or M.A's is not very long either.

Leave a comment:

• lcm1
    replied
    Originally posted by LtCol View Post
    I teach History at a small community college. We have the second largest Black student population and the second largest Native American population in the state...we OFFER history courses in both and they never make...we require only ten students for the class to make. Outside the requireds no one is interested.
    I do think that if the PRE: college junior onwards schools made some sort of effort in the direction of their countries history by the time the students reached college or Uni: they could already have some interest in the subject and then us 'oldies' will not get so many blank looks when we mention anything to do with war zones!

Leave a comment:

• Reaper
    replied
    Ok so I remember watching this live way back in 07, and Jeremy Black, a British military historian, talked about just this subject. It's a great talk, I think you all should watch it. It's not too big, and the first few minutes are about stuff that isn't interesting, it's some other guy talking.

But yeah, watch it!
    Click on:
    "Watch streaming video with Windows Media Player"
    http://www.fpri.org/multimedia/20070...ryhistory.html

It's extra special to me because he answered my own personal question.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Paul,

If you get the chance, take some courses that YOU want to take! I took courses on how to teach Football, Basketball, Softball, Volleyball and Golf. The chances of me using any now are almost nil. These classes did let me meet a lot of the young coaches in this area, though. The looks on the people's faces when they saw my two "Lady Zapper" bent bats was worth it! I showed several how to use the one with a dogleg in it to place their hits out to the field. The triangular is great for laying down bunts!

While you are there, have some fun while you learn!

One of the only "c" grades I earned was in a Health and Human Performance class taught by the eventual head of the department. She was a blast. In her first five minutes she told us that the rumor we had heard of Female PE Coaches often being Gay was true in her case. It went downhill from there...She talked about some poor guy that used a cocaine injection to enhance his "Performance". If you notice those "male enhancement" TV ads warn about long term excitement, this case tells why. Two days after he used the coke, he went to the emergency room for treatment. Too little too late for him!

I had a great time in my Sociology Class as well. My Female Professor once did a trick up front when she tilted her head back to laugh. Trouble was she was using a cough drop at the time. First time I ever saw a cough drop fly. I was really waiting to see if it would go back in, but she missed.

In another H&HP Class I walked in to find six Football Players engaged in an energetic "break wind" contest. I never did find out how to score the points or determine the winner, but I can tell you it made me cry and I had to go out in the Hall. One of the contestants went on to a NFL career with the Cowboys and Broncos, but I suspect the 175 pound Defensive Back won the contest.

Think what fun you can have in a Military History Class!

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• MonsterZero
    replied
    Because there's no demand. It's a supply-demand situation. A degree in military history is cool but if you take a 60K loan to complete a B.A. degree in military history that will result in a monthly $600 loan repayment bill. I'm a gainfully-employed nurse working two jobs and to me $600/month would be a huge bill. It would be quite devastating to an unemployed military history grad. We're seeing an increased number of kids selecting majors that actually make them money. Back in 1993 when I was entering the college education system in the States and the tuition was still affordable I could have gone for a military history degree myself.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    Originally posted by LtCol View Post

I teach History at a small community college. We have the second largest Black student population and the second largest Native American population in the state...we OFFER history courses in both and they never make...we require only ten students for the class to make. Outside the requireds no one is interested.
    I've seen Military History Offered as Needed in my community college course catelog. I've never heard of anyone actually teaching or taking the class though. There was one listed on something else military too...

It's true though, people seem to only take the required courses...

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    I took Military History at McNeese State University, when I went back and got a teaching degree. It was originally offered for the ROTC Department. It was the most fun I had in class! The Head of the History Department back then taught it. The 18 and 19 year olds had to work hard to keep up with me, an ex-Navy Mustang and a young lady ROTC student.

I remember one day bouncing some thoughts back and forth between the Doctor and myself and hearing a plaintive wail from the back of the class: "None of this is in the book! Can't you just go by what is in the book?"!

I later took a 400 level class on World War 2 History. That professor still has some of my material on tanks...I still have the Final he gave back to me. He wrote some nice things about enjoying having me in the class.

I did take History 101 and History 221 (later English History). Until then I did not know one could give a course on Rome without talking about the Roman Army! These two guys had little military history background.

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• LtCol
    replied

Leave a comment:

• lcm1
    replied
    Originally posted by Patton 7079 View Post
    Probably because even though it is great for annalytical careers it serves no purpose in a teaching degree ie. they dont teach it in elementry, middle, or high school. plus many schools are known for big majors eg science,medicine,history,etc.
    I know of schools in the present time that do not allow uniformed service men and women in to the building to give any type of talks to the students which is also coupled with the ban on any type of military history.Which accounts for the fact that I have heard some children that are in reality old enough toknow about some of the major WW2 events that are completely unaware even of the locations of afore said happenings!
    Last edited by lcm1; 03 Oct 08, 08:25.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X