Modern German Valor Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern German Valor Awards

There is debate going on in Germany right now to reintroduce combat awards for valor to the German Armed Forces. Germany currently has no combat awards for the troops, not even a wounded in action medal or badge. The link below is to an online paper with an article about the problem.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/03/19/europe/cross.php
    Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
    If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Kinda strange they brought back the cross (thanksfully sans swastika) but failed to bring back the award. This is an honorable award that dates back to the Napoleonic era, I hope that the German Government recognizes that and does the right thing.
    Welcome to the adult world. Kinda sucks when you have to be the responsible ones and take all the pot shots from the chagrined lefties and mongoloid celebrities, who don't know their collective posteriors from sound economic policy. - 98ZJUSMC

Comment

Originally posted by Arkane View Post
      Kinda strange they brought back the cross (thanksfully sans swastika) but failed to bring back the award. This is an honorable award that dates back to the Napoleonic era, I hope that the German Government recognizes that and does the right thing.

Excellent point
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

When the new cross for veterns was introduces in 1957, you have to remember that the war had only been over for 12 years and the "new German" government and military was eager to prove they weren't a bunch of reborn Nazi types. IIRC serving memeber of the Armed Forces wore ribbons on their uniform but not the actual full size cross. It was the veterns that could wear the full size cross without the swastika on it.
        Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
        If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

Medals are generally worthless, but if politicians are pissing their pants because of them, then maybe they aren't all bad.

What's funny about this is that the East Germans weren't shy about retaining Germanic uniforms, goose stepping, or stamping medals. They probably also wouldn't throw their own soldiers in jail for putting a palm tree on a tank either. Glad I'm not in Germany: it sounds even more constrained than our own army

Comment

i'm sure the debate will go on for quite some time and a medal in my opinion sets a higher standard that others see and try to match, therefore raising the level of the entire unit to a higher level.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X