Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Right to Bear Arms? What History Tells Us.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The U. S. Supreme Court should have interpreted the Second Amendment the way Saint George Tucker did in 1803, which was, "that each state respectively should have the power to provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining it's own militia, whenever congress should neglect to provide for the same."

Comment

Originally posted by Miss You View Post
      The U. S. Supreme Court should have interpreted the Second Amendment the way Saint George Tucker did in 1803[/B]
      Why? What makes his view so special. They interpreted it the way they thought was correct. Since 5 of them agreed on this view, I'll take it anyday over one man's opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        Why? What makes his view so special. They interpreted it the way they thought was correct. Since 5 of them agreed on this view, I'll take it anyday over one man's opinion.
        Likewise !!

As we grow older, we become less physically able to defend our families, homes and property without a little help from our weapons.

NO ONE is going to take mine -- that's the end of that story !
        I like Dogs far better than most People

As our Supply Sargent once said "If'n you only got one - order one - If'n you got Two - turn one in !! (???)

BoRG

Comment

The U. S. Supreme Court should have interpreted the Second Amendment the way Saint George Tucker did in 1803, which was, "that each state respectively should have the power to provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining it's own militia, whenever congress should neglect to provide for the same."
          Why?
          History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
          _________
          BoRG

Comment

I wish I had asked that <sigh>

As our Supply Sargent once said "If'n you only got one - order one - If'n you got Two - turn one in !! (???)

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser Franz View Post

What is your point of view incidentally ? -- Are you for or against our right to keep and bear arms ?? -- I haven't read every post so I really don't know.
              I'm betting, from the previous post, that they beleive the second amendment provides a legal standing for the right of militia to bear arms. Which is also an obligation by virtue of the fact that both come hand in hand.
              Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Originally posted by Temujin View Post
                I'm betting, from the previous post, that they beleive the second amendment provides a legal standing for the right of militia to bear arms. Which is also an obligation by virtue of the fact that both come hand in hand.
                I agree with - but don't limit it to the Militia -- "The people" have the right to bear arms -- I'm one of those

BoRG

Comment

Miss You:

Torien
                  Why?
                  Because Saint George Tucker's 1803 exposition of the Second Amendment is very close to the interpretation ascertained by a fair and objective application of the well established common law rules of legal interpretation existent at the time the Constitution was made to the Second Amendment.
                  Last edited by Miss You; 10 Nov 08, 09:03.

Comment

Because Saint George Tucker's 1803 exposition of the Second Amendment is very close to the interpretation ascertained by a fair and objective application of the well established common law rules of legal interpretation existent at the time the Constitution was made to the Second Amendment.
                    That's too many 4+ words in a sentence by a living sentient entity for me. You must be a(n) (aspiring) lawyer.
                    Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
                    (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser Franz View Post
                      Likewise !!

As we grow older, we become less physically able to defend our families, homes and property without a little help from our weapons.

NO ONE is going to take mine -- that's the end of that story !
                      So why do you feel a need to protect your property with firearms? It's a subject you wouldn't even think about in Austria? Does Austria have a better police force? Does Austria have less criminal minded people?

HP
                      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by General Staff View Post
                        That's too many 4+ words in a sentence by a living sentient entity for me. You must be a(n) (aspiring) lawyer.
                        Wait a second, wait a second You have missed the whole point of the post. You are supposed to be impressed. I certainly was. I wonder what she is going to do once she is finished with school?
                        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
                          Wait a second, wait a second You have missed the whole point of the post. You are supposed to be impressed. I certainly was. I wonder what she is going to do once she is finished with school?
                          I was. A clearly breathlessly superior intellect, possibly someone posting from somewhere off-planet.

If that's school, we'd better watch out. I mean simple soul as I am I was always taught to keep it simple, and if someone can't explain it to me simply, in terms I can grasp, then don't trust it.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
                            So why do you feel a need to protect your property with firearms? It's a subject you wouldn't even think about in Austria? Does Austria have a better police force? Does Austria have less criminal minded people?

HP
                            Oh I think criminality is common world wide -- Austria - Germany - the USA -- it's everywhere.

The "mind set" in Europe seems to be a bit different though -with few exceptions, haven't you noticed that people seldom come to blows ? Arguments are vocal rather than physical in most cases - confrontations are limited to someone shaking their finger in the other persons face -- or scowling rather ferociously

I don't mean to imply that we, here in the States, are in constant danger of home invasion - we aren't - that's not my point at all -- but - in the unlikely event that you need a gun, I'd rather have one available to me instead of having the government legislate that I can't own one.

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by General Staff View Post
                              I mean simple soul as I am I was always taught to keep it simple, and if someone can't explain it to me simply, in terms I can grasp, then don't trust it.
                              Does that mean that you don't trust CheapJeep?

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                                Does that mean that you don't trust CheapJeep?
                                As long as it's two words- cheap jeep- or not too dear, it works for me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X