Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Right to Bear Arms? What History Tells Us.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kaiser Franz View Post
    Cool !!!! --

Can we do that ??

I disavow ALL statements I've made here to date -- consider them all a "Pop Quiz" that everyone failed miserably

I feel a lot better now -- thanks

Can I have a redo on that pop quiz????

Comment

• Originally posted by legaleagle_45 View Post
      Can I have a redo on that pop quiz????
      As long as you promise not to cheat
      I like Dogs far better than most People

As our Supply Sargent once said "If'n you only got one - order one - If'n you got Two - turn one in !! (???)

BoRG

Comment

Over zealous prosecutors seized upon the general language "other Engines to kill and destroy the Game" in an attempt to make the mere possesion of guns illegal. Their attempts were rebuffed, by reliance upon the English Bill of Rights: "a man may keep a gun for the defence of his house and family".
        I think this is a Saxon underground attempt at humor. 'The Game' was the Norman Conquest, or why else would you need an 'Engine'? It was later also used to refer to 'The Great Game', which oddly enough continues to this day.

There's also the 'Great Experiment', another Saxon attempt at freedom, which with ups and downs seems to be doing OK.

Oz is still very much a work in progress, what with the quality of personnel. But rehabilitation of thieves has proved possible, and I'm personally very hopeful.
        Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
        (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

The law in question was 5 Ann., c.14 (1706), which...prohibited the mere possession of certain weapons and other items, regardless of the use to which said items were employed.
          What exactly did the law in question prohibit?

Comment

• Originally posted by Miss You View Post
            What exactly did the law in question prohibit?
            Go back and read my post again. The answer to your question is contained therein.

Comment

Go back and read my post again. The answer to your question is contained therein.
              Have you actually read the statute the defendant was accused of violating?

Comment

Have you actually read the statute the defendant was accused of violating?
                Yep.

Comment

Yep.
                  Did it prohibit possession of a gun?

Comment

Did it prohibit possession of a gun?
                    It did if you believe a gun is an "engine" which can be used to kill game or unless some other law intervened to prevent that prohibition.

Now a question for you...

Do you think that a gun is an instrument that can be used to kill game?

Comment

It did if you believe a gun is an "engine" which can be used to kill game or unless some other law intervened to prevent that prohibition.

Now a question for you...

Do you think that a gun is an instrument that can be used to kill game?
                      Yep.

What did the courts say about whether or not a gun was an "engine" for killing game?

Comment

Yep.

What did the courts say about whether or not a gun was an "engine" for killing game?
                        They said it was an engine capable of killing game, but because a gun was important for defense of the person and the home, they would not apply the blanket prohibition on merely having one. Instead, the law would only apply to the gun if the gun was actually used for illegal poaching.

Comment

They said it was an engine capable of killing game, but because a gun was important for defense of the person and the home, they would not apply the blanket prohibition on merely having one. Instead, the law would only apply to the gun if the gun was actually used for illegal poaching.
                          So, the courts held that possession of a gun violated the act which prohibited the possession of an engine for killing game?

Comment

So, the courts held that possession of a gun violated the act which prohibited the possession of an engine for killing game?
                            Nope.

Comment

Nope.
                              Why did the court rule that possession of gun didn't violate the law that prohibited possession of an "engine" for killing game and then convict the defendant?

Comment

Why did the court rule that possession of gun didn't violate the law that prohibited possession of an "engine" for killing game and then convict the defendant?
                                Because the application of the English Bill of Rights protected the keeping of the gun for the lawful purposes of self defense and defense of ones home.

Now a question for you. Your statements have been a bit across the board. Are you a proponent of the "pure collective right" theory of the 2nd Amendment which holds that the 2nd Amend serves only to protect the right of the states to arm the militia in the absence of adequate federal action? This was, of course the view expressed in Hickman v Block.

Or are you a proponent of the "sophisticated collective right" theory which holds that it is an individual right, but the right is tied to a well regulated militia?

If the latter, I have some follow up questions....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X