Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

National or continental/geographic reference points?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National or continental/geographic reference points?

I would welcome ideas on how members feel "quick reference & request" threads should be organised. I'll take 'alphabetic' as assumed where required!

Much valuable reference material is currently spread across multiple forums, and both requests for information and previous links/replies can be missed.

How should the categories be organised? Should it be along national, or continental/geographic lines?

Wouldn't want too many categories though, as it could end up like a tangled spider's web, instead of a "Quick reference & request" point

A putative list of categories (probably too short):

Asia inc China & Japan

Australia & New Zealand

Canada & other Commonwealth

France

Germany

Great Britain

Italy

Other European

Russia & Former USSR

USA

Other (Current)

Other (Historic)

Any suggestions, comments and examples would be gratefully recieved.
    By Nation/State? (Could lead to problems with name changes etc.)
    12.50%
    Chronologically? (Hard to place data that covers a wide time-span)
    0.00%
    Geographically? (By Continent? Country? Define "Europe" through history!)
    75.00%
    Alphabetically? (A long list that usually assumes you already know what you are looking for!)
    12.50%
    None of the Above (Please post your alternative!)
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Andy "Weeble" Weaver

Research, Reference and Historical Study

Illud Latine dici non potest

I like the idea Andy. I think what you have listed sounds good so far and would be interested to know what the others think.

There is a certainly a problem with some really good stuff being buried over time, and this is something we've been hoping to do in the WTTA area as well - go through and list the links that have been posted in a summary area.

Once you establish that sort of thing, you could then do what Austin and Boonie (and no doubt others) do in the Korean and Vietnam sections and update your main listing every so often. People then have a place to go to post their finds and you just edit your main post every now and add the links people post.

http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/fo...ad.php?t=28301

http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/fo...t=24510&page=1

Be interested to know other peoples ideas
    Last edited by Avalon; 20 Oct 05, 19:45. Reason: addin a link ;)
    "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

Comment

There must be a trained librarian in the posts somewhere don't you think?

Slug
      "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

An admirable venture, to say the least!

I would say that continental/geographic lines would serve to be most easily inclusive of historical reference to such nations as no longer exist/are now parts of more recent national realities.

If you need any help, I'm sure many would be happy to do what we can.
        On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
          An admirable venture, to say the least!

I would say that continental/geographic lines would serve to be most easily inclusive of historical reference to such nations as no longer exist/are now parts of more recent national realities.

If you need any help, I'm sure many would be happy to do what we can.

Have you been eating some of Karri's mushrooms?
          Slug
          "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Naaaaa... I don't even want any shrooms on my Tombstone, Slug.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Slug
              There must be a trained librarian in the posts somewhere don't you think?

Slug
              There is at least one, me!

Unless I know what the "end-users" want, it is pointless jumping from the 'concept' to the 'design' and 'implementation' phases of a cataloguing project.

I've added a poll for feedback.

Edit> Here are current examples:

Digital Library Index

http://www.academicinfo.net/digital.html

Libraries & Library Catalogs

http://www.academicinfo.net/infoscilibcat.html

Digital Library Research

http://www.academicinfo.net/infoscidl.html
              Last edited by Weeble; 04 Nov 05, 04:56.
              Andy "Weeble" Weaver

Research, Reference and Historical Study

Illud Latine dici non potest

Comment

What I've kinda surmised over in the WTTA forum is that there aren't enough sub-forums (Ages) to easily be Era/Geographic and still be able to sort or locate the various threads easily.

Samurai was a good example, the other day.

I fully understand the intent of it - as it is - but as it is is not always condusive to easy navigation, search, or posting ease for the casual user.

I almost wish they were simply divided by timespan. A thread about 14th century Europe in the same sub-forum as one about 14th century China lends itself to discovery & exchange between those of the two interests. It also might often reveal other common aspects & connections of the geocentric history within the same span of time.

I can certainly relate to your desire for input, Weeble.

Everybody! Belly up to the bar with your thoughts. Weeble has a very significant task before him in Research, Reference and Historical Study.

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

I am biased toward the book store organization. Primary sort by geography with a subsort by chronology with mutiera works in a group by themselves at the front. Don't know if there is enough material to justify this though.
                  Boston Strong!

Comment

Give im time...

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Hmmm....I voted for by nation/state, but upon further review I must change my answer to geographical because it seems like the easiest option.
                      To whispers of Beethoven...

"Mein Gott! Die Invasion. Sie kommen!"
                      -Werner Pluskat

Comment

Given the constraints on chronological, I would say geographical, followed by chronological (if you're going with a couple of layers).
                        “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X