Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy from a Newbie

Howdy Guys,

My name Is Greg, thats the GEE in the GEEDUBBYA (GW). I am from Pine Bluff, Arkansas. Now I found this site purely by accident.
    I am an avid "Cardmodeler", most of you I am sure know what a card modeler is, one who builds models from card stock or paper. My personal favorite topic are aircraft.
    I Had made a posting over at another forum I am a memeber of, www.cardmodels.net about the upcoming LRAFB 50TH ANNIVERSARY AND AIRSHOW and was looking for some photos from previous airshows there in google when I came across this forum.
    Well, knowing that "wargaming" and "card models" often go hand in hand, I had to join........ not to mention "Leatherneck" (a member here) is also from my home state and had photos of the 2004 airshow.
    Anyway, I thought I would introduce myself to ya'll, and offer ya'll to visit www.cardmodels.net and introduce yourselves there. I really think that with the information found on this site and that site could be benificial to ppl from both sites.
    I have links to many (hundreds) of card models, some of which are for wargaming, others which can be used for wargaming. And I have a vast collection of card model aircraft ranging from 1:72 scale to 1:32 scale of most any aircraft you can name.
    I know where links to free card model armor models are too along with most anytype model you could think of, all for free download.
    Anyway, like I said I wanted to stop by and say hello, introduce myself and make the invite. I will also tell some of my cardmodeling friends about this site and perhaps this site will gain a few new members also. By the way, the site I mentioned www.cardmodels.net is also a vbulletin website too so navigation is almost Identical there as it is here.

Have a good day,

Greg aka GW
    My username is my initials GEE=G DUBBYA=W (GW) and with my avatar, I outrank all these other avatars with generals on em' .

Welcome aboard sir!

I am a card modeler wannabe. I have three in my model collection but they are not yet built. Drop by the active history area.

Welcome.
    AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Howdy Duncan,

Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here. I used to be an avid "plastic modeler", but it got to the point where I had built all of them that I could find around here and in surrounding towns. Then, the model companies started "dumbing down" the model kits to where they only had 10 to 20 parts and stick on decals and snapped together......to me those arent models, those are "toys" with "some assembly required". So, one day while surfing the net, I came across www.fiddlersgreen.net which has "freebie" downloads in their various categories of card models. I downloaded and built the piper cub model and have been hooked every since. Even to the point of having designed a few of my own card models like the AGM 28 B HOUND DOG NUCLEAR MISSILE.

I have also aquired 3d models programs and an "unfolder program" which allows me to take a 3 d model and "unfold" it into its various parts on paper so that it can be cut out and assembled.
      If you or anyone would like to see my list of links to free card models, feel free to email me at [email protected]
      Again, I invite everyone here to visit www.cardmodels.net and introduce yourselves to the ppl there, they are a very freindly bunch and more than willing to help ppl find models for wargaming or just to build. They have over 2000 members from all over the world and the navigation on the site is identical to this one.
      Again, thanks for the welcome,

have a good day,

Greg aka GW
      Last edited by GEEDUBBYA; 04 Oct 05, 12:51.
      My username is my initials GEE=G DUBBYA=W (GW) and with my avatar, I outrank all these other avatars with generals on em' .

Comment

Welcome to the posts.

You will feel at home here.
        Slug
        "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Thanks Slug,

I appreciate the welcome, I got off work today at noon and have been bouncing back and forth between here and the other forum every since lol.
          I plan on posting a link to this site in the other forum I attend so that some of the card modelers can drop by an visit here.
          Like I said above, I think that the two sites would benifit each other in the area of models and/or game pieces.
          I thought since I was here right now, I would post a few links to some free cardmodels ( I sure hope this is ok).

http://home.kimo.com.tw/yukiyuji/downl1.htm ULTIMATE MODERN naval warship download page. everything from guided missile cruisers to the USS NIMITZ AIRCRAFT CARRIER. The small aircraft models are also there for the a/c carrier.

the following are all "armor" cardmodels for free download:

http://jtdigest.narod.ru/dig2_02/museum2.htm M-1 Abrahams
          [url]http://www.3dpapermodel.com.tw/3dpms/Alvin/alvin.html#leopaprd2Leopard
          http://www.pluto.dti.ne.jp/~naka/download.html T-34 & Panzer kampfwagen
          http://www.konradus.com/szufladki/agand/index.html M5A1 Stuart
          http://www.advstudio.com.hk/paper-pr...eng/eindex.htm Tiger tank
          http://3dpapermodel.w-web.com/3dpms/civi/civi.html#jeep JEEP WWII
          http://www.terra.dti.ne.jp/~yoshidom/ 1:72 SCALE TANKS

The last link above has tanks that are perfect for wargaming. If anyone wants more links, that is only a portion of the number of links to free models I have.

again, ty for the welcome,

have a nice day,

Greg

below are some pics of the 1:700th scale ships on the above link:

Last edited by GEEDUBBYA; 04 Oct 05, 14:43.

Comment

What weight paper to you print those out onto?
            I assume you cut out heavier card stock to glue them to, or is that just for airplane frames?

Comment

Howdy Duncan,

I use International Paper co's. "Jetphoto" photo paper for all my models. It comes in matte, semi gloss and high gloss and the paper thicknesses are 7mm 8mm and 9mm respectively. Like I said, I am fond of aircraft models and to me aircraft just look better with a gloss finish unless they are camo. The photo paper I use can be bought at wal mart, K mart target etc... for about $5 per 25 sheets. I usually buy all three types when I buy paper. Now you can also purchase just plain "card stock" in those thicknesses, but I have to go to staples or some other office supply store for it. below is a photo fo a Ju88 wwII german bomber which was built with high gloss paper:

Now That is not one of my builds, but is constructed totally from paper except for the cockpit glass which is made from "overhead projection film" that was run thru an ink jet printer. I do however have the above model plans along with like I said a couple hundred more lol.
              I am going to attach a photo of a cessna 172 that I did as well as the hound dog nuclear missile I designed below.
              But, alot of models will tell you what thickness paper to use and after a while you will just "know" what to use. But 7 mm 8 mm and 9 mm are great all purpose papers for this hobby.

have a good day,

Greg aka GW
              Attached Files
              Last edited by GEEDUBBYA; 04 Oct 05, 15:39.

Comment

That is a great looking plane GW - can you get a a JU87?

Dr. S.
                Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Howdy Doc,

Yes I have two or three different versions of the Ju 87 Stuka Dive bomber, one is a really simple model, the others are more complex. The simple version is from www.fiddlersgreen.net . Below is a photo of their model from their website:

The other versions I have are from publishers like Maly Modelarz which are overseas publishers from countries like poland and the czech republic. Sorry I dont have photos of thier versions, but yes, there are models of the stuka and I bet that there is probably a model of most any aircraft you can name, up to and including the "big boys" like the C5 Galaxy and others..... I have the C 130 Hercules and other models like the B 36 peacemaker and the B 52 and B1 lancer and B 2.

have a good day,

Greg aka GW

Comment

Thanks GW. Quick question - probably a stupid one but bear with me, since these models are made from card, can they be disassembled for storage in any way?

Dr. S.
                    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Howdy Doc,

well, I dont consider it a stupid question, but the answer is no. You print them out on your computer, then cut them out with an exacto knife or scissors and then using white glue or some ppl even use super glue, you fold, crease and/or bend and then glue the parts together, giving you a model that until you pick them up, you would almost swear was plastic or die cast metal. One of the finest eamples of a paper card model that I have seen that you would swear was plastic or some other material is this armored halftrack, which is the picture of the week at www.cardmodels.net :
                      it is published by "flymodel" in 1:25 scale and is made entirely of paper or "card stock"
                      Now although you cant disassemble them once you build them, they do take up alot less storage space before you build them. They are simply 8" x 11" pieces of flat paper. And another "plus" about card models vs plastic is that if you mess up, you just print off another copy of that page. Another thing that is great about them is you can "recolor" them using a photo editing program, thereby allowing you to place any markings or camo color you desire on the models before you print them out. The possibilities are endless as to what you can build or what you can make it look like.
                      Here are a few more links to some models, all of them on the following links are free.

http://lhvcc.rustproductions.com/egi...ry_models.html space related models from the lower hudson valley challenger center there is a 7 ft tall apollo launch vehicle there too among others.
                      http://www.currell.net/models/mod_free.htm airships, rockets etc.
                      http://www.lansbergen.net/eng/index.htm space launch vehicles
                      http://www.spacestation42.com/pt-planemodel.html free paper model airplanes of various types and if you navigate the website (at the top) you will find buildings vehicles trains etc.

I know I am long winded Doc, sorry bout that, and I did seem to get off topic there for a minute, but again, "no" you cant disassemble them but you can store hundreds of them before you build them in the same space 1 plastic model kit box would take up.

have a good day,

Greg aka GW

Comment

Howdy Guys,

Long winded and I still forgot to say something I meant to say lol. Being that these models are on paper, you can enlarge or reduce them as needed. Some RC modelers have even made some of the paper models flyable. I have another friend who builds card models flying rockets similar to the estes rockets but a whole lot less expensive and if ya happen to lose one to a viscious paper hungry tree, you just print off and built another.
                        He has models of the scud missile, the Regulus I and II and several others, he is in the process of building a new site on a different server so his collection is abit limited right now til he gets them transferred over to the new site, but here is his link: http://www.geocities.com/coldwarriorcards/ check it out, he would appreciate the visits i am sure.

talk to ya later,

Greg aka GW

Comment

This is great stuff. I have a CF105, Spitfire, and the Pristontale Archer. Have to start working on the darn things.

Comment

Howdy Duncan,

Ahhh the good old avro arrow, great plane!, I have 4 or 5 different spitfires, but you have got me on the anime models. I know what the archer looks like, and if you are into anime models, check out this link in the sf & games section: http://www.peterjvisser.demon.nl/indexe.html here you will find robots, characters, games etc.

have a good evening,

Greg aka GW

Comment

Welcome Greg. I didn't know about card modeling.. tis really interesting. Great that you joined the forum. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here !

Mim
                              "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X