Armor Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armor Training

Anyone know any sites or personal knowledge on the training and duties of a Modern Tank Crew? Since I'm looking to get into this sometime down the road it be nice to know.
    The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

What do you mean by "personal knowledge?" I was a Bradley Infantry Fighting Vehicle Comapny Coammander in the 1980s and went through the formal transition training for the M2A1 BFV. That included full crew gunnery training.
    Blackcloud6

Refighting World War II - One hex at a time!

Comment

Just general duties of an armored crew I guess. What each member is responsible for exactly. I know the basics and a bit from my readings but just wondering if the driver is responsible for more than his normal job, is the loader or gunner responsible for loading new ammo. Things like that.
      The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Comment

All members of the crew will do maintenance on the vehicle... Lots of maintenance. And then more maintenance.

Although I was a Comapany Commander and officer, I still performed the basic crew maintenance duties on my vehicle with the rest of my crew.

Loader and commander will also be responsible to man their machineguns when unbuttoned.

Did I mention that you'll have to do maintenance?
        Blackcloud6

Refighting World War II - One hex at a time!

Comment

Richard,
          Do a little google searching. There are training circulars on the net that will give you some of the info you want. Some are classified and not available for download like gunnery but others are not.
          As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
          Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by dhuffjr
            Richard,
            Do a little google searching. There are training circulars on the net that will give you some of the info you want. Some are classified and not available for download like gunnery but others are not.
            Not looking for super details here... Too bad there isn't a public FM on this :P I found one from WWII that does a pretty good job but its an excerpt and only gives responsibilities. ROFL if you guys want to know why I'm asking its because my Star Wars Club the Emperor's Hammer as a FPS and Role-playing (by stories on the Message Boards) called the Hammer's Fist (A group of elite stormtroopers that are organized a lot like a MEU). Well me and one of the Dutch "Staff Officers" kicked around the idea of adding an armored platoon an actual tank platoon. Not the walkers and stuff because we feel (his uncle is in the UK Royal Army as a Tanker) that tanks are capable of doing things and going places the walkers can't as well as being better suited for lift capability (versus an AT-AT) yeah it sounds specific but he got the idea approved but we have to write training courses for certification.

Thusly I write the first two courses for the hopefully soon to be Imperial Armor School (IAS)

The first part will be the duties and training of an armored crew.

The 2nd is the tanks themselves. I designed them and have the .doc if anyone wants to see what I have done.

The 3rd (done by my compatriot) will be about Tank-Destroyers/Assault Guns that he will create and the threats to tanks on the SW battlefield.

Lastly we will get together and write up a quick primer into armored tactics.

Sounds specific but some of the courses we allready have are quite good and are practically taken from the Public FMs. There are a few Army folks running around. Naturally they re-word it to fit the Star Wars universe but we all are savvy enough and if you want to peruse them they are all available here: http://www.hammersfist.net/CSMA/courses.php

BTW I've googled and yahooed my eyes out... LOL put in three different searches and went about 12-15 pages of returns each... I did find the Tank Platoon FM which will be helpful when it comes time to write up armored tactics...

Comment

Well Richard, I don't know much about the training, but if I could give you one piece of advice it would be: Don't be the loader! If you fall asleep at the wheel there, you're going to get pounded.
              To whispers of Beethoven...

"Mein Gott! Die Invasion. Sie kommen!"
              -Werner Pluskat

Comment

Originally posted by C.M. Ansley
                Well Richard, I don't know much about the training, but if I could give you one piece of advice it would be: Don't be the loader! If you fall asleep at the wheel there, you're going to get pounded.
                Don't plan on it... I plan on being an officer but I heard its Marine policy not to allow non-combat officers combat commands... I guess I'd have to start at the bottom properly if I can even manage the transfer. I figure when I'm 20 some I'll have a little more independence. My dad would respect the decision, he wanted to be a tanker himself and he's the one that turned me to history but he doesn't like the current type of war we're fighting. My mom just plain doesn't want me in combat unless I have to and she has enough stress dealing with work, home life, and my brother. As it stands I'm enlisted to be an Aviation Mechanic. Not a bad job but I was intially plunged on Armor.
                Last edited by BarcelonaBlom; 15 Jul 05, 11:22.

Comment

Not to promote another forum or anything, but you may want to check out Tanknet at http://63.99.108.76/forums/index.php?act=idx.

A bunch of current and former tankers hang out there.

Brian

Comment

lol Don't worry about promoting other forums... don't we do it all the time... besides its one more place I'll be hanigng out all day everyday :P

Comment

Richard,

While a Marine always has the ability to request a lateral move from one MOS to another during their career, the USMC tank community is relatively small. Once you complete MCECP/OCS/PLC and TBS as intended you will be assigned a new MOS and you may have at least some input in what that MOS will be. Prior experience may also make you "uniquely qualified" to remain in a particular "line of work".

Bottom line is that it will be the needs of the Marine Corps at the time you are looking/be able to change MOS'

Good Luck
                      Semper Fi,

Pete

Comment

Yup it always is where they need you not necessarily where you want to go. I've been warned... I can't see myself as a "desk officer" too much. Admin stuff (which in some capacity has to be part of the job especially in support roles) isn't my thing but being an Infantryman Leader isn't either...

Comment

Steel yourselves... I'm open to criticism...

Imperial Armor School
                          Fort Ares
                          Caridda II

“It is said that armor is no longer effective in warfare, not since the Trade Federation blockade of Naboo and the resulting invasion, not since the development of weapons of war like the AT-AT, not since light vehicles were equipped with heavy weapons, not since the individual infantryman can carry enough weaponry on his own to demolish a platoon of tanks. I say they are all lies. Tanks always will have a place on the battlefield.
                          -Major General Dom Salesh, Commander, 1st Imperial Armored Division”

-Quote seen on the main entrance sign to the Imperial Armor School.

1.0 Introduction to Module I
                          The Imperial Armor School (IAS) provides a training center for the Imperial Army remnants in the use of ground-driven armored elements. The IAS unlike the VSS provides not only instruction in how to handle the vehicles but also the tactics involved in using them. Also, unlike the VSS, which mainly instructs standard troops in the use of mainly repulsorlift and walker vehicles, the IAS centers mainly on mechanized and armored vehicles and tactics. The IAS is located at Fort Ares, named for the Surface Marshall whose input was important to research, development and production of the various vehicles in use by the Emperor’s Hammer most especially the Hammer’s Fist.

“…So we were entrenched on this hill. Our Intel only said a Detachment of the Hammer’s Fist would be there to attack us and they only had speeder bike and possibly AT-ST or AT-PT support. The next thing we knew our anti-personnel and anti-walker defenses were being rolled over by tanks. TANKS! I never want to be in that position again.”
                          -2nd Lieutenant Ric Larson, 1st Battalion, 2nd Coruscant Lancers
                          Regarding the action during a HF raid on a NR held planet.
                          He was the sole survivor and was captured.

2.0 The Duties of the Armored Crewman
                          There are duties prescribed by the IAS training manual that require that the crew of a tank or mechanized vehicle perform certain duties based on their job, but they should also be cross-trained on all other aspects of the vehicle, most will usually excel at one. Usually the positions are Commander, Gunner, Driver, and Loader but they vary by the vehicle type.

2.1 Individual Duties
                          Commander- The Commander is responsible for the entire crew and the vehicle. They are usually a junior NCO and are in command of that particular vehicle. Their duties also include: target
                          acquisition, target confirmation, navigation, liaison to the platoon commander, welfare of their crew, and they even will at times handle the loading or firing of the weapons though that depends on the vehicle. They also are the only member who can retain the largest situational awareness of what is occurring outside of the vehicle.
                          Gunner- The Gunner’s main duty is to, naturally, operate the main gun. They also are responsible for
                          the basic maintenance of the weapons and fire control systems, operation of any co-axial weapons and they work together with the Commander in target acquisition and confirmation.
                          Driver- The Driver’s main duty is to well as dumb as it sounds, drive the vehicle. They are also
                          responsible for the basic maintenance of the engine and are trained somewhat in the repair
                          and/or replacement of the primary components of the engine.
                          Loader- The Loader loads the main weapon of the vehicle if it is required. Some weapons need to be
                          reloaded after every shot. This can also be done mechanically. But, when a loader is present,
                          they are responsible for keeping the gunner and commander alert to the types of ammunition
                          available and their number, operating any secondary weapons which they will also be
                          responsible for the maintenance for.

2.1 The Crew as a Whole
                          All of this individual training sums up into one thing in combat: One working element. The crew together seamless and efficiently to make sure that they complete the mission and they and their vehicle survive. The entire crew is trained not only to operate at their own jobs but there are many the are required to do in some situations, number one would be the replacement or repair of a track in field conditions, more on this subject later. A tank or mechanized vehicle would seem to be one living, breathing creature on the field if the crew was working together at full capacity.

2.2 Armor in the Hammer’s Fist
                          Most of the Hammer’s Fist missions are usually hit-and-run styled attacks/raids and lightning fast assaults. But what is done when they meet a numerically superior force or a force that is carrying heavy vehicles along and walker support is unavailable? These are some of the reasons that it is felt that armor is necessary in the Hammer’s Fist. It fills a vital mission profile and is flexible enough to be used in both the offense and defense. As the technology that increases the capabilities of the infantryman changes, so does the technology that can be used to keep tanks effective on the battlefield.

“Sometimes men are meant to walk, we were given feet for a reason, you know. ‘LPCs’ Land Personnel Carriers, they are attached, to you, you don’t feel their weight, they can carry all the gear you need to carry and the only maintenance involved is changing socks and dusting them with foot powder. You don’t need a vehicle to get around much”.
                          -Corporal Mitch Hendriksen, 2/11 4th Infantry Division

3.0 Mechanized Infantry
                          Mechanized Infantry also still have a place on the battlefield. They are usually used in support of the fast moving tank operations. This keeps the momentum required in an offensive to be kept at the same pace and it helps break through and shatter enemy elements. Theirs is an oft-lauded job. They get to ride around in their Armored Personnel Carriers and never have to march. But theirs is also a more dangerous job than a “foot” Infantryman; their APCs are also more susceptible to being spotted and being damaged. The Infantry platoon on foot is easier missed then the five APCs roaring their way through the area. They’re plating is usually strong enough to resist anti-personnel weaponry but weak enough to be easily torn up by anti-tank weapons like missile and rocket launchers and heavy laser cannons. The exact tactics involved and more details will be taught in the 2nd module of the IAS.

“As much as I liked being a Shock Trooper for the Hammer’s Fist, I like the Valkyrie. It’s a solid tank and surprisingly they are quite maneuverable and are perfect for almost any job.”
                          -Unknown Sergeant, Hammer’s Fist

4.0 VK5000 Main Battle Tank
                          Other Designations: Valkyrie
                          Manufacturer: Hammer’s Fist facilities on Caridda II.
                          Crew: 3 (Commander, Gunner, Driver)
                          Height (meters): 2.87
                          Length (meters): 8.67
                          Width (meters): 2.50
                          Weight: 48 tons
                          Engine: CR&D 120 Fusion Generator (rated at 2300 Horsepower Mechanical)
                          Speed Road (km/h): 60
                          Speed Cross-country (km/h): 45
                          Range (km): 500
                          Armament: One Taim and Bak HL150 Laser Cannon (Turret), One CR&D 75mm Autocannon (Co-axial to main gun), Two T-21 Light Repeating Blasters (Cupola mounted on Commander’s hatch, Co-axial to main gun)
                          Ammunition: Lasers are all linked to the Generator, 200 rounds maximum for 75mm Autocannon (Mix varies)
                          Armor-Turret: 120/60/60/40
                          Armor-Superstructure: 80/50/40/25
                          Armor-Hull: 60/40/40/25
                          Armor-Gun Mantlet: 120

4.1 History
                          It was found that in some cases that the Hammer’s Fist; even with AT-AT support could not break the back in some sieges. The AT-AT supplies were limited and they could not be everywhere at once let alone used wastefully. Scientists at the Caridda Research and Development Center (CR&D) under the direction of Lieutenant Colonel Decarat, were given the task to design a tank vehicle for use by the Hammer’s Fist. This vehicle had to meet a number of specifications:
                          *The vehicle had to weigh less than 50 tons so a platoon could meet loading specifications aboard generic transports.
                          *It had to be somewhat self-sufficient in the field so this automatically eliminated fossil fuel power sources.
                          *It had to mount a main weapon that would be able to destroy a New Republic tank at 750m.
                          With those specifications in mind CR&D went to work. In three months they had already turned out the basic chassis that would be used in the vehicle. Their attention then turned to the power plant and the armament. With the power plant they decided to use pre-existing fusion generator technology, enlarging the generator used on the venerated E-Web Repeater. The enlarged generator was given a highly advanced cooling system to offset its heat output but it was still too much and the project was scrapped. They turned their attention to the more dangerous yet cooler fusion technology and designed the CR&D 120 Fusion Generator. It is rated at 2200 horsepower in mechanical sense. Though this generator is reliable and much cooler it can be also more catastrophic if the containment field is breached.
                          The designers then moved onto the armament. They wanted both Anti-Tank and Anti-Personnel capabilities mixed with an ability to take out light-skinned vehicles. It was decided that the Taim & Bak HL150 Laser Cannon was sufficient enough to provide the power needed to dispatch of NR tanks. The weapon has a battle range of 2500m and can pierce the frontal armor of a NR tank at 752m. The designers then mounted a custom-built 75mm autocannon to accompany the main gun co-axially; it can fire a wide variety of rounds (HEAP, HEAT, AP, HE, and APFSDS) and is fed by an autofeeder. The autofeeder can be prone to jamming with APFSDS rounds especially (because of the Sabot) but most crews rely on the laser cannon for anti-tank work and tend not to take APFSDS rounds with them into combat. This autofeeder and the main gun eliminate the need for a loader. The autocannon’s rate of fire can be maintained around 100 rounds per minute.
                          It as decided that the T-21 is a good repeating blaster to be mounted as point defense weapons against infantry. One is mounted on the commander’s cupola and another specially mounted co-axially to the main gun. The turret is as small as it can possibly get while still allowing room for the commander, gunner, and autofeeding mechanism as well as other equipment.
                          The tank is very lightly protected. This was a hard choice but it was necessary in order to keep the vehicle light. In the tank design triangle the designers went with Firepower over both Maneuverability and Protection (which was last). Even at the front the 120cm equivalent of Durasteel armor can be easily pierced by the NR’s Main Battle Tank at about 775m. This makes the job a bit harder for the crew and commanders must be tactically proficient in order to get in range easily and minimize their casualties.
                          The designers put out a prototype almost a year after starting the project, a great achievement which many were proud of. The General Staff as a whole approved the design and it went into full production with 10 units being first produced in the first month. But they managed to change a few things including up armouring the vehicle somewhat with a kit that can be attached to the tank adding around 20cm equivalent of Durasteel in most places but adding another 3 tons of weight. They also made the generator more efficient making its final power around 2300hp.

4.2 Combat History
                          During the battle for the city of Korovberg the Hammer’s Fist ran into some problems as they made their way in-city only to learn that the New Republic was swinging around their right flank outside the city in an attempt to seal them within. The first platoon of Valkyrie went to war as they were offloaded from the transports and quickly brought to bear on the right flank of the Hammer’s Fist advance. They found their adversaries were the 12th New Republic Guards, a well-known infantry regiment. The tanks immediately took a hull down position in the fields outside of city. As the NR repulsorlift vehicles neared the tanks held their fire. Finally when they were within 250m the tanks opened up with their autocannons and destroyed 6 transports among them. The rest of the Rebels dismounted their vehicles and another vehicle quickly pulled forward and managed to get a flank shot on the far left tank with a missile launcher which gouged a deep hole into the side and killed the driver with the commander and gunner bailing out. Another of the Valkyrie quickly destroyed the vehicle and the rest withdrew while the infantry laid down covering fire. Eventually, Umbra Detachment, which was held in reserve, took the positions from the Valkyrie after an hour of cat-and-mouse with a platoon of infantry from the 12th NRG. The Valkyrie had performed admirably and the General Staff ordered that a platoon of them be attached to the Hammer’s Fist at all times. This would enable the flexibility of the tank to be at hand in places where time or terrain denied the use of the venerable AT-AT. Though the Valkyrie have yet to meet their New Republic equivalent.

4.3 Special Features
                          Since the Valkyrie is very light considering it is a tank, it can be moved by any heavy-lift capable craft and can also be stored easily aboard an Imperial Landing Barge. Their dual-weapon system enables them to engage any type of target, though their light armor (for a MBT anyways) makes them a bit more vulnerable, but as stated, in order to stay light, they need to be less protected. It features smoke launchers on the turret sides and a stowage kit on the back of the turret. Overall the tank is very long but this enables it to be very short and thus it has a low silhouette (with both pros and cons when it comes to being hull down). It features an advanced gyrostabiliser and targeting computer, which enables the gunner to engage targets on the move. Overall it is a somewhat speedy and maneuverable tank that packs a very nice amount of firepower.

“Sensor jamming, sensors to sense things, things to block sensors, and to block the things that are supposed to block sensors, improved comm. gear, and even a holographic command table. But the thing that gets me the most is the extra T-21 in my compartment that I can blast away with if need be.”
                          -Lance Corporal Jesh Dewindt
                          Electronics Warfare Specialist
                          2nd Imperial Armored Regiment

5.0 EW5000 Command and Electronic Warfare Tank
                          Other Designations: Odin Command Tank
                          Manufacturer: Hammer’s Fist facilities on Caridda II.
                          Crew: 4 (Commander, Gunner, Driver, Electronics specialist)
                          Height (meters): 2.87
                          Length (meters): 8.67
                          Width (meters): 2.50
                          Weight: 46 tons
                          Engine: CR&D 120 Fusion Generator (rated at 2300 Horsepower Mechanical)
                          Speed Road (km/h): 62
                          Speed Cross-country (km/h): 46
                          Range (km): 500
                          Armament: One CR&D 75mm Autocannon (Turret), Three T-21 Light Repeating Blasters (Cupola mounted on Commander’s hatch, Co-axial to main gun, bow-mounted)
                          Ammunition: Lasers are all linked to the Generator, 500 rounds maximum for 75mm Autocannon (Mix varies)
                          Armor-Turret: 110/40/50/30
                          Armor-Superstructure: 60/40/30/20
                          Armor-Hull: 50/30/30/20
                          Armor-Gun Mantlet: 100

5.1 History
                          The EW5000 is essentially a Valkyrie with a removed laser cannon and upgraded communications equipment with a large electronic warfare suite. It was determined that a command tank was needed to ensure that the tanks and mechanized infantry were co-operating correctly and the operations went as smoothly as possible. The best way to keep it mobile and in the fight was to put it all in a tank. So the Command Valkyrie was born. The developers reduced the armor and removed the laser cannon to make space for all the extra equipment. The turret received more communication gear and was given a holographic command desk in place of the gun. Extra room was devoted to storing more ammo for the now main 75mnm autocannon. The capacitor for the old gun (which was in the front right of the vehicle) was replaced by an electronics warfare suite, which featured state-of-the-art ECM and ECCM equipment as well as various types of detection gear. Another crewman was allotted to watch this gear and another T-21 was placed in that position in case infantry over-runs the tank’s position. Armor is stripped off in some places, given that this tank will not be at the forefront of the fighting and the weight needed to be cut down.
                          5.2 Special Features
                          The Odin Command tank features a lot of gear that makes it useful at the company level for a commander or even at the platoon level. The ECM and ECCM gear is state of the art and enables the tank to mask the electronic signatures of it and others nearby, and it even can jam enemy radar stations, buying friendly forces time for an attack. It also features a full suite of detection gear ranging from visual sensors to IR, magnetic, movement, and energy detection as well as standard radar. The commander now has a full range of communications equipment, which allows space contact as well as ground and air contact. It also features advanced encoding/decoding gear to keep the enemy from listening in and discovering plans (if their listening posts aren’t being jammed by the electronic warfare gear that is). The holographic table (more like a small desk) enables the commander to command his units and in a new state-of-the-art fashion, with the aid of satellites or ships in space the commander can give units orders and commands which will appear on their HUDs and enable them to quickly co-ordinate with other forces to achieve an objective. The price of an Odin Command tank makes it a rarity in the Hammer’s Fist arsenal, and because of this, most commanders will choose a Chariot over the Odin most of the time.

6.0 Appendices

6.1 Vehicle Statistics
                          Vehicle Name
                          Other Designations: Any other names the vehicle is officially designated as.
                          Manufacturer: Where the vehicle is manufactured
                          Crew: The number of crew and (their positions)
                          Height (meters): Height of the vehicle in meters
                          Length (meters): Length of the vehicle in meters
                          Width (meters): Width of the vehicle in meters
                          Weight: Weight in Standard Tons
                          Engine: The make and type of engine in the vehicle
                          Speed Road (km/h): The speed of the vehicle on flat paved roads in kilometers per hour
                          Speed Cross-country (km/h): The speed of the vehicle on flat fields in kilometers per hour
                          Range (km): Maximum range this vehicle can travel on fuel/maintenance, etc. before needing such in kilometers
                          Armament: Armament of the vehicle (and its position)
                          Ammunition: Number and type (and standard load out) of ammunition for weapons that need it
                          Armor-Turret: Armor on the turret (if any) given in equivalent of Durasteel in Centimeters in format (Front/Left and Right/Rear/Top and Bottom)
                          Armor-Superstructure: Armor on the superstructure (upper hull) given in equivalent of Durasteel in Centimeters in format (Front/Left and Right/Rear/Top and Bottom)
                          Armor-Hull: Armor on the hull (lower hull) given in equivalent of Durasteel in Centimeters in format (Front/Left and Right/Rear/Top and Bottom)
                          Armor-Gun Mantlet: Armor on the large piece on the front of the turret/superstructure where the main gun is housed given in equivalent of Durasteel in Centimeters.

6.2 Glossary

AP: Armor Piercing, usually a round that has a hard outer shell from some material for maximum penetration. Useful against medium armored targets.

APFSDS: Armor Piercing, Fin-Stabilized, Discarding-Sabot, a round that has a “Sabot” (shoe) that encases a thin penetrator rod made of a dense metal. When fired the Sabot drops off leaving the rod travelling at high velocities. Useful against heavily armored targets.

CR&D: Caridda Research and Development, the main laboratories on Caridda II.

ECM: Electronic Counter-Measures, usually means of electronic warfare meant to disrupt enemy electronics such as radar, sensors, devices. Radar jamming is a common example.

ECCM: Electronic Counter-Counter-Measures, ECCM is a device that is meant to keep ECM devices from operating properly and blocking friendly electronics.

HE: High Explosive, a shell that is filled with high-explosive materials meant to well… explode. Useful against light skinned vehicles and infantry.

HEAP: High Explosive, Armor Piercing, some of the explosives in this shell are sacrificed for a dense metal tip that enables it to pierce armor somewhat more effectively and then a time-delay fuse detonates the explosives (hopefully inside the vehicles). Lightly armored targets are the best to use these on.

HEAT: High Explosive, Anti-Tank, this round is also quite unique and features a shaped-charge warhead which is a dense metal cone that with high explosives behind it which then collapse it and focuses the energy to a single point melting through armor and then spalling the hull of the vehicle and the round inside the tank, causing damage. Best for use against light-skinned and lightly armored vehicles.

MBT: Main Battle Tank, This is the replacement system for the classic designation system by weight and armament, medium and heavy tanks have been rendered obsolete by technology leaving a balance of the two with Main Battle Tank (see IAS Module 2)

Comment

Barcelona...

I am a 12 Year US Army Veteran. 5 Active and 7 Guard. The entire time I was a 19K assigned to Cavalry Units. I could go on and on about the training and life of a US Army Armor Crewman. Is there anything specific you are looking to learn?

All I can say is be ready to work hard but it will all be worth it. Putting 120mm rounds down range is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I have got some army like pics you can look at from http://profiles.yahoo.com/puckstop31

I look forward to helping you with any questions you might have.

L8R

Comment

Thanks... wish I knew where to start. This is really a few paragraph project but I need to figure out on how to extend it into at least a few pages.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X