Resources for WWI and II weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resources for WWI and II weapons

What are some good resources to help id some WWI and WWII rifles? And were can you go to get a history behind the rifles. I have a WWI German rifle, 2 WWII British Enfields and a WWII US 45.

BigMik1
    "Cry Havoc!! and let slip the dogs of war!!!"
    -Mark Anthony in Willam Shakespeare "Julius Caesar" (1599)

Originally posted by BigMik1
    What are some good resources to help id some WWI and WWII rifles? And were can you go to get a history behind the rifles. I have a WWI German rifle, 2 WWII British Enfields and a WWII US 45.

BigMik1
    I have just the book you would love! It goes through the most used weapons in the 20th century, and is called: 'Twentieth-Century small arms' by: Chris McNab. isbn: 1-84013-381-3

Although it's called small arms, you get your Bren guns, mg 42s, and even the most used modern assault rifles.

But, you also get the old rare, and popular pistlol-revolver, bolt action rifle, smg, machineguns.

I heartily recommend it.

Although, the info on each gun might be scetchy for your needs, it's not for gunsmiths!

Mr Poundr.
    "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Does it have a bit of info on the ones I mentioned above? I will try to find that book. Is the book old or somewhat new?

BigMik1

Comment

Does it have a bit of info on the ones I mentioned above? I will try to find that book. Is the book old or somewhat new?

BigMik1
        YES IT DOES BUT THE INFO IS PRETTY SUPERFICIAL, IT'S GOT A COLOUR PAINTING OF EACH GUN, AND THE BASIC INFO. I'LL GIVE AN EXAMPLE RANDOMLY:

OK, I GOT A HANDGUN CALLED THE 'LIBERATOR', THERE IS A SMALL EXPLANATION OF IT'S ORIGIN AND USE, IT WAS A CHEAPO HANDGUN MADE FOR OSS PURPOCE'S, AND SO ON, THEN COME'S THE INFO TABLE THIS I WILL REPRODUCE:

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA
        CALIBRE: .45 APC
        LENGTH: 141MM (5.55 INCH)
        WEIGHT: 0,45KG (1 LB)
        BARREL: 101MM (3,97 INCH)
        FEED/MAG CAPACITY: 1 ROUND INSERTED DIRECTLY INTO CHAMBER
        OPEARTION: SINGLE SHOT
        MUZZLE VELOCITY: 250MPS (820FPS)
        EFFECTIVE RANGE: 10M (32FT)

SO, THAT'S THE TABLE YOU GET ON EVERY WEAPON, WITH THE PRELIMINARY STORY OF IT'S COMING TO BEING, AND MAIN USES.

AND THEN THAT TABLE, AND A NICELY PAINTED SIDE SILHUETTE OF THE GUN.

YOU GET STUFF FROM A MAUSER TO A STEYR AUG...
        A NICE LITTLE HARDCOVER, BUT NOT DEEP.

HOPE THIS HELPED.

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by 17poundr
          YES IT DOES BUT THE INFO IS PRETTY SUPERFICIAL, IT'S GOT A COLOUR PAINTING OF EACH GUN, AND THE BASIC INFO. I'LL GIVE AN EXAMPLE RANDOMLY:

OK, I GOT A HANDGUN CALLED THE 'LIBERATOR', THERE IS A SMALL EXPLANATION OF IT'S ORIGIN AND USE, IT WAS A CHEAPO HANDGUN MADE FOR OSS PURPOCE'S, AND SO ON, THEN COME'S THE INFO TABLE THIS I WILL REPRODUCE:

SO, THAT'S THE TABLE YOU GET ON EVERY WEAPON, WITH THE PRELIMINARY STORY OF IT'S COMING TO BEING, AND MAIN USES.

HOPE THIS HELPED.
          The "Liberator", the original "zip" gun........IIRC its not even rifled. The concept was with it you could kill a German an take his weapon to be better armed...........
          Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by 17poundr

HOPE THIS HELPED.
            Thanks for the info, I will look it up!! And I first hear about the "Liberator" gun in a SGT. ROCK comic.

BigMik1

Comment

Thanks for the info, I will look it up!! And I first hear about the "Liberator" gun in a SGT. ROCK comic.

BigMik1
              Many of the OSS/SOE gadgets to be given to the freedom fighters were funny.

some of the little 'thumb knife's' were small blades that were like a 'proto punching blade', and it was given to a resistance fighter, who was supposed to get a german who was alone (centry I guess, and stab him into the jugular vein, and then take his gun,and thus arm himself!

Risky stuff...

But the drops improved, and in the end the SOE/OSS were dropping proper kit, the notorious Sten mg, being the most popular, but if the cheapest model cost six pence to manufacture, what the heck, it fired a clip full of 9mm on full auto, and certainly got many axis soldiers off the roster!

The Brit troops used a more carefully manufactured sten I belive, one that was a bit more quality.

I have seen and shot one of the cheapo stens, and it's incredible when compared to a Suomi mp! It's impossible to hit something 100 meters away, when the suomi on single shot was getting one foot hit patterns from the best shooters in our company, and everybody got hit's onto a human sized target form 100m. Even the full auto was almost as accurate, as there is no recoil in the Suomi.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X