A Hero has Fallen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Hero has Fallen

Colonel Evans Carlson passed away on April 2 of this year. I only just found out by visiting Dan Marsh's (Father of Louie Marsh and a Marine Raider) website.

http://www.usmcraiders.com/

He is best known for his leadership of the 2nd Marine Raider battalion and his epic raid on Makin Island in 1942. The phrase "Gung Ho" was originated by Carlson. His exploits on Makin inspired the movie starring Randolph Scott, "Gung Ho."

The picture here shows Carlson in the middle of his Raiders!

In honor of this fine, unique Marine, I intend to write an article on the Makin Raid and post it on the Wargamer in the next few weeks. I'll keep you posted.

A salute of honor and respect for this fine gentleman! Semper Fi, Colonel!
    Attached Files
    Wild Bill Wilder
    Founder, Wild Bill's Raiders
    Independent Game Consultant

In his honor! :flag:

Mark
    Deo Vindice
    Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

Comment

Originally posted by WildBill Wilder
      Colonel Evans Carlson passed away on April 2 of this year. I only just found out by visiting Dan Marsh's (Father of Louie Marsh and a Marine Raider) website.

He is best known for his leadership of the 2nd Marine Raider battalion and his epic raid on Makin Island in 1942. The phrase "Gung Ho" was originated by Carlson. His exploits on Makin inspired the movie starring Randolph Scott, "Gung Ho."

In honor of this fine, unique Marine, I intend to write an article on the Makin Raid and post it on the Wargamer in the next few weeks. I'll keep you posted.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

I missed this...

Ohh-Rah, and Semper Fidelis!

Comment

Originally posted by WildBill Wilder

Hoo-ahhhh!!! Semper Fi!!!
          Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
          (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Semper Fidelis! and Gung-Ho!
            The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X