Any good tactics sources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good tactics sources?

hey again guys... i think there may have already been a post on this... but i'm not sure so i thought i would put it up anyway...
    i was wondering if you guys knew of any good books, websites, etc. On tactics. specifically the management of ground forces anywhere from WWI onward... maybe even some books or something with some examples of good tactics. thanks you guys for any help/ resources you can come up with.
    "All warfare is based on deception" -Sun Tzu

John Antal's "Armor attacks" is a pretty perfect tactics book.

(I didn't like the Infantry one).

Comment

There this site,

http://www.stormpages.com/garyjkennedy/index.htm

Also these books from Osprey pubish under their Elite series.

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/titl...~ser=ELI~per=2

I hadn't read them, but they are from Osprey so they shouldn't be half bad.

Comment

If you want modern US army squad leader/Inf tactics you really need to pickup the 13th Edition Squad Leaders guide. I posted the ISBN in the books thread.

This has so much quality information I'm surprised they let it be published.
        Conscription if necessary, but not necessarily conscription. -William Lyon MacKenzie King

Comment

wow thanks soooo much guys!
          howabout some tank tactics sources?

Comment

Have you tried good old US Army Field Manuals? You can get a ton at

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../fm/index.html

This one covers the tank platoon:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...-15/index.html
            Nominated "Wing Nut" by Forum Staff member.

Comment

thank you very much secret agent! holy crud that is a lot of information! thank you!

wait what was the name of that book by rommel on tactics? anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by General Herr
                I think it is titled Stormtroopers. Details tactics used in WWI. I think he wrote a couple of books though.
                As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
                Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by General Herr
                  Infantry Attacks?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance
                  Nominated "Wing Nut" by Forum Staff member.

Comment

Andy, can you dig up that ISBN? I would like to take a look at that.

Thanks!
                    JERRY:Vomitting is not a deal breaker. If Hitler had vomitted on Chamberlain, Chamberlain still would have given him Czechoslovakia.

GEORGE:Chamberlain...you could hold his head in the toilet, he'd still give you half of Europe

"Seinfeld"

Comment

Tactics

If you would like to read about tactics in the face of bullets, I would recommend SLA Marshall's Men Against Fire, Ambush, Monsoons,and LZ Bird.

Using the same methodology (post-combat interviews), Spencer Fitz-Gibbon in Not Mentioned in Despatches...:The History and Mythology of the Battle of Goose Green gives an excellent insight to the difference between tactics in school/books and what happens at night with uncooperative enemy.
                      Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Rommels book is called Infantry attacks.
                        isbn # 1-85367-064-2
                        Virtute Et Armis
                        Toerag

Comment

Originally posted by dhuffjr
                          I think it is titled Stormtroopers. Details tactics used in WWI. I think he wrote a couple of books though.

AN excellent book

Stormtroop Tactics : Inovation in the German Army 1914=1918 by Bruce Gudmundsson

Comment

Originally posted by Secret Agent
                            Have you tried good old US Army Field Manuals?
                            Its hard to find any better litarature on tactics than in the military itself, especially if you want to know the basic "how-to" and not just read up on history. The military keeps compiling all the lessons learned, thegreat generals, their thoughts and mistakes and summed it up to give points (that covers all areas) on how to succed on the battlefield. Its just to learn it all by heart and then know when and how to use it.

IRL it is just as important to be a great leader for your men, but in the computer world its just down to shere mechanics. I have always wondered when they would implement an all out leadership feature in a wargame. Thats just as much a part of war as anything else.

Btw:
                            Here are our swedish "field manuals". They are however quite big and (zip/pdf). They are all in Swedish (encrypted) , but some SoldF, in the subdirectory Soldatregelementen has some nice graphics.

link
                            "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Originally posted by Toerag
                              Rommels book is called Infantry attacks.
                              isbn # 1-85367-064-2
                              I learned that it was actually just named "Attacks" when it was republished for the Wehrmacht during WWII they renamed it "Infantry Attacks".

Interesting fact for everyone...

Thanks for the resources these are the kinds of things I'm looking for. Anymore armor and mech inf related things?
                              The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Robi P.
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian soldier Toni P. of the Radetzky barack in Horn Nether Austria was forced by his commander to make an march with his comrades in 3th August...
                                Today, 02:27
                              • casanova
                                Beirut
                                by casanova
                                Gigantic explosion in the city of Beirut. 70 people were killed and 2750 men were heavy hurted. The explosion was like atomic bomb. The cause of that...
                                Today, 00:47
                              • casanova
                                Nuclear battleheads.
                                by casanova
                                A secret UNO report declares, that North Korea owns already nuclear battleheads for tactical rockets....
                                Yesterday, 23:58
                              Working...
                              X