Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G-g grandfather's grave site found!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by last_cav1971
    It was the old family home site. Beautiful farm in Greenbrier County, WV.........I would love to be able to buy it. The owner lives in Alabama and is renting the property out........hmmmmmm, money.......where to get it........

Mark
    Deo Vindice
    Salus Per Christum
    Mark can you research his CSA war records?
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

It was the old family home site. Beautiful farm in Greenbrier County, WV.........I would love to be able to buy it. The owner lives in Alabama and is renting the property out........hmmmmmm, money.......where to get it........

Mark
      Deo Vindice
      Salus Per Christum
      At least it looks well maintained............
      Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou
        Mark can you research his CSA war records?
        I have copies of all of his records from Washington.

Mark
        Deo Vindice
        Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams
          At least it looks well maintained............
          They just placed it the first of this month. It will be well maintained, though. No worries there.

Mark
          Deo Vindice

Comment

I have copies of all of his records from Washington.

Mark
            Deo Vindice
            Care to share his bio with us?

Comment

Here is a quick one:

I dont have any specifics on any of the fighting that may have taken place. Basically what I have is his enlistment papers, payroll, etc.
              Archelous Jacob Hammons; Born 1833 in Kentucky. Married to Manerva England with whom he had several children. Enlisted in the Confederate service in October 1862 in Whitesburg, Letcher County, Kentucky.
              Elected Captain, he served under Benjamin Caudill. I believe that the two families were connected. If Im not mistaken, John Hunt Morgan's family is related here also.
              Serving until his wife's death ca. late 1864, he was given a discharge to take care of the children. His other relatives had basically 'disowned' him because he fought for the Confederacy while they were Unionists.
              To get away from things in Kentucky, he moved with his late wife's family into southern West Virginia where he met and married Olivia Roberts. They also had several children, one of which was named Robert Lee Hammons.
              The family moved as far away from 'civilization' as they could. They made their home in Webster/Pocahontas/Nicholas/and finally Greenbrier County, WV.
              By the time of his death in 1906....(the stone says 1908, but this was taken from a land deed; actually died in 1906) he had accumulated quite a bit of land that he farmed.
              Upon his death, his property fell to my great grandfather Andrew Doc Hammons. The property is now owned by the Hollandsworth family in Alabama.

I wish, and hope, to find more on the activities that he was involved in.

Mark
              Deo Vindice
              Salus Per Christum

Comment

Here is a quick one:

I dont have any specifics on any of the fighting that may have taken place. Basically what I have is his enlistment papers, payroll, etc.
                Archelous Jacob Hammons; Born 1833 in Kentucky. Married to Manerva England with whom he had several children. Enlisted in the Confederate service in October 1862 in Whitesburg, Letcher County, Kentucky.
                Elected Captain, he served under Benjamin Caudill. I believe that the two families were connected. If Im not mistaken, John Hunt Morgan's family is related here also.
                Serving until his wife's death ca. late 1864, he was given a discharge to take care of the children. His other relatives had basically 'disowned' him because he fought for the Confederacy while they were Unionists.
                To get away from things in Kentucky, he moved with his late wife's family into southern West Virginia where he met and married Olivia Roberts. They also had several children, one of which was named Robert Lee Hammons.
                The family moved as far away from 'civilization' as they could. They made their home in Webster/Pocahontas/Nicholas/and finally Greenbrier County, WV.
                By the time of his death in 1906....(the stone says 1908, but this was taken from a land deed; actually died in 1906) he had accumulated quite a bit of land that he farmed.
                Upon his death, his property fell to my great grandfather Andrew Doc Hammons. The property is now owned by the Hollandsworth family in Alabama.

I wish, and hope, to find more on the activities that he was involved in.

Mark
                Deo Vindice
                Salus Per Christum
                Thanks Mark

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X