Some Pics, Circa 1984

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Pics, Circa 1984

Here are a few pics I said I'd post for Double Deuce - figured it would be more appropriate here than in the thread we were discussing them in.

First is a pic of an M60A3 from 2nd Bn 68th Armor Regiment from Baumholder, Germany, winter of 1984 in the vicinity of Daun, Germany. Not sure of the bumper#.

This is another M60 in the tree line...

Here is the back of my M113 Ambulance, same exercise...

Here is a shot from the train ride up...

Finally, two friends from Dco, 2/68 Armor, SPC's Paul and Nail. Nail was a serious head case, if you couldn't already tell.

Great pics! Baumholder was always fun in the winter (summer also I suppose ) Reminds me of Wilflecken.
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by CPangracs
      Here are a few pics I said I'd post for Double Deuce - figured it would be more appropriate here than in the thread we were discussing them in.

First is a pic of an M60A3 from 2nd Bn 68th Armor Regiment from Baumholder, Germany, winter of 1984 in the vicinity of Daun, Germany. Not sure of the bumper#.
      It's D-65 (the XO's tank). I recognize the hexagon logo on the side of the turret with the horizontal line inside it. Thats a HQ Plt vehicle.

Finally, two friends from Dco, 2/68 Armor, SPC's Paul and Nail. Nail was a serious head case, if you couldn't already tell.
      Well, Sgt. Paul wasn't much better. I think he was drunk the entire time I was his roommate.
      [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Comment

Nice shots, Curt.

Could you say something about what were you training to do in the case of a war with WarPact - especially, what kind of enemy were you expecting to confront and where?

Comment

Originally posted by Double Deuce
          It's D-65 (the XO's tank). I recognize the hexagon logo on the side of the turret with the horizontal line inside it. Thats a HQ Plt vehicle.

Well, Sgt. Paul wasn't much better. I think he was drunk the entire time I was his roommate.
          I KNEW you looked extremely familiar! I knew the world was coming to an end when Paul and Nail got a room together!

I have a shot of Dco's old 1SG in our tent. I can't for the life of me remember his name. I'll scan it and post it when I can!

Comment

Originally posted by Walkyre
            Nice shots, Curt.

Could you say something about what were you training to do in the case of a war with WarPact - especially, what kind of enemy were you expecting to confront and where?
            The 8th ID, historically, was the last in a series of "speed bumps" in the Fulda Gap. Our training that winter was based on exactly that - getting to an area and digging-in quickly. Our exercise that Spring was against the new M1's, and we kicked their collective arses. I think Double Deuce can give more info on that.

Comment

Curt, you should recognize this place. . . . A and D Company Barracks on the left, Mess Hall and Aid Station in the right/center.

D22 downrange Baumholder...

My all time favorite pic (D21 and D22 night firing at Graf).

I added some more to my website HERE . One day I have many more up there.

Comment

The 8th ID, historically, was the last in a series of "speed bumps" in the Fulda Gap.
                True. I remember when I first became a tank commander and went on a terrain walk to our final defensive "positions". I was looking at the area and asked the Plt Ldr where he wanted me to place my tank for my primary position. He looked at me and said "Since its probably where you and your crew will die you should make that decision." Ah cold reality.

Our training that winter was based on exactly that - getting to an area and digging-in quickly. Our exercise that Spring was against the new M1's, and we kicked their collective arses. I think Double Deuce can give more info on that.
                Yeah, I believe they were a unit from Fort Carson, Colorado but not sure. We also played against troops from Luxembourg and some other places.

Comment

I have a shot of Dco's old 1SG in our tent. I can't for the life of me remember his name. I'll scan it and post it when I can!
                  We went through so many the last 2 years there. I know who you are talking about though BUT for the life of me can't remember his name. Funny cause my room was right next door to his office and he was in our room about every day at lunch, telling Paul to turn down his F%#@ing stereo.

Comment

VERY cool! Those were great times! Do you happen to remember the LT who lit-up a family of deer outside the range fan marker during our Graf rotation in 84?

I was in the tower watching it through the TTS they had setup. Absolutely hilarious (not for the deer, of course!)

Comment

Cpangracs,

Ah, the winter of '84. I remember it well.

I was just a little bit north of you (Bad Hersfeld area) with the TAC CP, 3rd Armd Div. (We were the guys within arty range,versus the Main CP, which was missile range).

Craig

Comment

VERY cool! Those were great times! Do you happen to remember the LT who lit-up a family of deer outside the range fan marker during our Graf rotation in 84?

I was in the tower watching it through the TTS they had setup. Absolutely hilarious (not for the deer, of course!)
                        Yeah, that was my Plt Ldr. He used to shoot at the wildlife every chance he got. He also used to run over trees any time the opportunity presented itself. We always told him one day the tables would be turned. The next summer he hit a huge tree trying to knock it down. It broke in half and the top half fell on him in his TC hatch. Luckily the trunk missed his head but he did get a small branch in the eye. Minor injury yes we told him it was sign from mother nature to quit screwing with her stuff.

D Company always seemed to get the troublemakers and non-conformists.

Comment

Originally posted by Konev
                          Cpangracs,

Ah, the winter of '84. I remember it well.
                          I still have the complete map set from Reforger. Not sure the number of maps but the stack is about 1/2 " high and covers all Central Germany. I pull them out and think about those days on occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Deuce
                            I added some more to my website HERE . One day I have many more up there.
                            I just looked, and got text, but no pics.
                            Nominated "Wing Nut" by Forum Staff member.

Comment

Originally posted by Secret Agent
                              I just looked, and got text, but no pics.
                              Try HERE . It's a directlink to the main images page.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X