No announcement yet.

Teaching some military history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Jersey we have a curriculum but no standardized tests for history. I can thus avoid the whole "teaching to the test" debacle. As for political correctness, I'll avoid the real "dirt" of combat. How things are done, logistics, fire and manuever, speed, etc. is more what I'm looking at. Yes people die in war, but you could be hit by a bus or mugged on your way to school every day.

Basically, I want to expose some students to something they haven't had exposure to at all. If I can light a fire under some students to find out more, I've done my job. If I bump heads with some people, so be it.

Originally posted by Lt. Dan
    Now I'm merely playing devil's advocate here, but I think that there may be an issue of Political Correctness when it comes to teaching kids military tactics and things like that. I could see parents being uncomfortable with that. Now my question to Hillchurch is this: How rigid is your curriculum? For example in New York State, teachers have to follow a rigid state curriculum because it conducts State exams (Regents tests) in practically every subject, every year. So many teachers in New York can only teach the state curriculum, and they don't have much room to put their own flavor into what they teach their students.
    "Aaah, the Luftwaffe, the Washington Senators of the History Channel."
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by hillchurch

Basically, I want to expose some students to something they haven't had exposure to at all. If I can light a fire under some students to find out more, I've done my job. If I bump heads with some people, so be it.
      I support you all the way in what you're trying to do.
      "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

George W. Bush

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X