Brigadier General F. J. Moberly CB CSI DSO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brigadier General F. J. Moberly CB CSI DSO

This gentleman was the author of a number of volumes of the WW1 Official History Including the four volumes covering Mesopotamia. Also authored a number of military and political works between 1919 and the 1950s as well as following an academic career, As a junior officer in the Indian Army he served under Townshend at the siege of Chitral in 1895. I'm trying to find out what he did in the Great War but can find absolutely nothing. With all his gongs I'm sure there must have been an obituary in the British press but can't find anything. Ideas anyone?
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
    This gentleman was the author of a number of volumes of the WW1 Official History Including the four volumes covering Mesopotamia. Also authored a number of military and political works between 1919 and the 1950s as well as following an academic career, As a junior officer in the Indian Army he served under Townshend at the siege of Chitral in 1895. I'm trying to find out what he did in the Great War but can find absolutely nothing. With all his gongs I'm sure there must have been an obituary in the British press but can't find anything. Ideas anyone?
    National Army Museum Library??????
    Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

Was he not in Lower Mesopotamia?
      Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

Originally posted by Lāčplēsis View Post
        Was he not in Lower Mesopotamia?
        Thats what I need a proper reference to if true. There was a Major Moberly on the staff but he had different initials
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Thats what I need a proper reference to if true. There was a Major Moberly on the staff but he had different initials
          Your guy seems to have written a book about Togoland and Cameroon:
          https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...%20DSO&f=false

The Templar Study Centre sems closed for renovation but the London Metropolitan Archives is helping out with the library....

Hope this helps...

Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

HISTORY OF THE GREAT WAR: THE CAMPAIGN IN MESOPOTAMIA 1914-1918 VOLUME III
            by Brigadier General F. J. Moberly CB CSI DSO

http://www.biblio.com/book/history-g...14/d/432659388
            Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

Yes that's the Official History he wrote after the war that I mentioned in my first post - I have all four volumes . He was selected by the Government of India who had a habit of selecting writers that would show them in the best light (they badly mismanaged the Mesopotamian early campaign).He also wrote the official history for other theatres as well. After he retired in 1919 he became a professional historian but it doesn't prove that he was in Mesopotamia - he also covered West African theatres. Now I suspect that he was on General Almyers staff in Mesopotamia but I can't prove it. It does affect judgements about his impartiality on certain matters which in turn could impact on the dissertation I've just started writing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lāčplēsis View Post
                Your guy seems to have written a book about Togoland and Cameroon:
                https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...%20DSO&f=false

The Templar Study Centre sems closed for renovation but the London Metropolitan Archives is helping out with the library....

Hope this helps...

I've been to the temporary archives in the depths of forgotten Stevenage (the new town that time forgot) no luck although I did photograph pages from some officers diaries that will be useful.
                Last edited by MarkV; 05 Aug 15, 11:48.

Comment

Undertand your point. I'm pondering that as a British Indian Army officer, Mesopotamia, Palestine and Egypt are all possible/probable postings. Somewhere, there must reside Army lists. It seems an area to focus on. Its obviously a piece of detective work, both fascinating and frustrating at the same time!
                  Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

I've been to the temporary archives in the depths of forgotten Stevenage (the new town that time forgot)
                    Love it!!!!!!!!

Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

Found him - he spent 1914-15 CIC Hong Kong Garrison , strongly influential in Chinesisation of HK Police. year on the General Staff in England and the rest of the War General Staff in India - never went near Mesopotamia

Comment

F.J. Moberly was a Brigadier General serving in India with the Punjabi Corps.

The 24th, 67th, and 76th Punjabis all served in Mesopotamia and were besieged along with other members of the Anglo-Indian force at Kut Al Amara. Is it possible he too was there? His publication does state that it is base on official records, but it is possible that he may has seen some of the action there too.

His medal card Reference: WO 372/14/43380 at the National Archive would possibly confirm this, if you wish to pay 3.30 to see it. You can purchase access this record at

discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D4089719

or go to Kew and see it for free. I am too far from Kew and too mean to fork out the money.
                        Last edited by Reddonavon; 28 Aug 15, 10:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddonavon View Post
                          F.J. Moberly was a Brigadier General serving in India with the Punjabi Corps.

The 24th, 67th, and 76th Punjabis all served in Mesopotamia and were besieged along with other members of the Anglo-Indian force at Kut Al Amara. Is it possible he too was there? His publication does state that it is base on official records, but it is possible that he may has seen some of the action there too.

His medal card Reference: WO 372/14/43380 at the National Archive would possibly confirm this, if you wish to pay 3.30 to see it. You can purchase access this record at

discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D4089719

or go to Kew and see it for free. I am too far from Kew and too mean to fork out the money.
                          No thanks as I said I have it all via the India Office library. He was 2nd in command of the 25th Punjabi battalion under Lt Col Dyer (later to be the Amritsar massacre man) in Hong Kong. When Dyer was posted to Persia he took over command and in effect became CiC Hong Kong (as I summarised in my previous post). He was then attached to the General Staff in London for about a year and finally returned to India to join the Indian General Staff (as I've already said). He only became a Brig General just before he retired and took up an academic career as a historian. Never in Mesopotamia - just wrote the official history of the campaign

PS No such thing as the Punjabi Corps. As a result of the Punjabiisation of the Indian Army a large part of it were from the Punjab (although not necessarily in units with Punjab in the title). I'm well aware of what units were in Kut and which were not
                          Last edited by MarkV; 28 Aug 15, 12:37.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X